Dive Vacation Recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mccabejc

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Okay, I'm starting to seriously consider taking a short vacation to get out of this constant rain and poor conditions.

Anyone have any recommendations on a quick, inexpensive, last minute trip to a really nice dive spot? Someplace warm, with crystal clear water and bright colored fishies.

I was thinking Cabo or La Paz, though it's not that much warmer than here, and from what I've read they are not nearly as good as the Caribbean. Though logistically they would be perfect. Can hop down there real quick and inexpensive.

I was also thinking Bonaire, but from the flights I've seen you pretty much waste a day getting down there (6 hour wait in Jamaica).

Cozumel is also an option, but it's pretty expensive for a short trip.

mccabejc:
Okay, I'm starting to seriously consider taking a short vacation to get out of this constant rain and poor conditions.

Anyone have any recommendations on a quick, inexpensive, last minute trip to a really nice dive spot? Someplace warm, with crystal clear water and bright colored fishies.

I was thinking Cabo or La Paz, though it's not that much warmer than here, and from what I've read they are not nearly as good as the Caribbean. Though logistically they would be perfect. Can hop down there real quick and inexpensive.

I was also thinking Bonaire, but from the flights I've seen you pretty much waste a day getting down there (6 hour wait in Jamaica).

Cozumel is also an option, but it's pretty expensive for a short trip.

Coz can be done cheaply, and can be a good short trip. Might consider Akumal. We just got back and again you can get there fast and do it on a modest budget if you choose to. (see below)

Let me know if you have any questions.

Good Luck,

Dave

http://www.scubaboard.com/t87362-akumal-trip-report-23-6-2005.html

True, Baja sites might not be much warmer than home. What about a quickie package trip to Kona? I did that between jobs last summer, and it doesn't have to be hideously expensive, although the diving itself is not cheap.

kelpmermaid:
True, Baja sites might not be much warmer than home. What about a quickie package trip to Kona? I did that between jobs last summer, and it doesn't have to be hideously expensive, although the diving itself is not cheap.
Get the expedia package to Kona, rent 2 tanks and print out the sites from shorediving.com. I did it last year. Great shore diving! Cheap! I made 2 boat dives and it was a waste of money. Shore diving was awesome, secluded (made several dives at beaches with NO ONE ELSE AROUND and had fantastic dives -turtles, whale songs, swim throughs, etc).
BTW, air temp about 80. :crafty:

Wow. Kona. Never thought of that. And the prices are pretty amazing. And great shore diving from what I've just been reading. Ooo, baby...

mccabejc:
Wow. Kona. Never thought of that. And the prices are pretty amazing. And great shore diving from what I've just been reading. Ooo, baby...
Check out my report 4th down HERE for which I won the Report-of-the-month award (they sent me an ugly hat as the prize).
Here's a pic of the view from this site:

Rick Inman:
Check out my report 4th down HERE for which I won the Report-of-the-month award (they sent me an ugly hat as the prize).
I made the mistake of paying for two tank boat trips each day the first trip to Kona. Most of the diving is close to shore, so the next two times I went I rented tanks for the week and hit the water. BTW, I've got two Shorediving hats! :D

mccabejc:
Jim,
I had a great time boat diving in Kona, August 2003. Stayed a week, did 3 days of two-tank boat dives and tons of snorkling and terrestial exploring with the family. I keep hearing now that beach diving is THE way to go there...Franko makes a nice diving map, but I think many of the shore dive access points are kept relatively quiet....the water and conditions in August were spectacular...Night Manta dive is a peak life-experience....(in fact, I think I'll go pop the videotape in the player on this thunderstormy SoCal day)....planning on going again this year (July or August.)...fly direct as the interisland hop kills a day. I would love to hear what other Boarders have experienced in Kona: on-the-water condo suggestions would be especially appreciated.
Happy Dreaming,
Claudette

HBDiveGirl:
Jim,
I had a great time boat diving in Kona, August 2003. Stayed a week, did 3 days of two-tank boat dives and tons of snorkling and terrestial exploring with the family. I keep hearing now that beach diving is THE way to go there...Franko makes a nice diving map, but I think many of the shore dive access points are kept relatively quiet....the water and conditions in August were spectacular...Night Manta dive is a peak life-experience....(in fact, I think I'll go pop the videotape in the player on this thunderstormy SoCal day)....planning on going again this year (July or August.)...fly direct as the interisland hop kills a day. I would love to hear what other Boarders have experienced in Kona: on-the-water condo suggestions would be especially appreciated.
Happy Dreaming,
Claudette
I had a buddy that had a condo on the water. At night he would toss hot dogs in the tidepools and watch the eels climb over the rocks to get them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom