Dive Vacation Recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MaxBottomtime:
I had a buddy that had a condo on the water. At night he would toss hot dogs in the tidepools and watch the eels climb over the rocks to get them.
Phil and Rick, any water-side condo suggestions that you wouldn't mind sharing? I stayed at the King Kam hotel, but really want a smaller condo on the rocky shore this time...someplace that makes handling dive gear somewhat easy would be a huge bonus. Thanks for any info!
Claudette

It's a little outside of town, but it is walkable and not too far from the Farmer's market, if I remember correctly. We stayed in a studio there with a fullly equipped kitchen and a w/d in the unit. A second floor unit would be better for gear drying...

I stayed at a condo the frst time, but I can't remember the name nor recommend it. There are around 15-20 units with only one washer/dryer. While cooking dinner in the microwave, the glass turntable shattered. The manager tried to charge me $100 for it. She then opened a cabinet containing a half dozen glass turntables and handed me a new one. I have an idea that it was a common problem. The next two times I went I stayed at Uncle Billy's hotel right across from the market place on Alii Drive. Inexpensive, convenient for diving and within walking distance of everything in town.

Okay, it's done. Wednesday March 9 I'm flying to Kona. Staying at the Kona Seaside in Kailua, then coming home late Sunday night. A late afternoon dive the Wednesday I arrive, then three days of beach diving (Thurs-Sat), then a 36 hr. surface interval before I fly out. Okay, maybe a boat dive in there somewhere....

Thanks for the help guys. Now I just need to contact some Scubaboarders in Kailua and see if I can pick up some buddies for all the great beach diving. Cool. Maybe I can even hit my 50 dive mark by the time I get back.

mccabejc:
Okay, it's done. Wednesday March 9 I'm flying to Kona.
Wow! :11:

Thinking about going on a Dive Vacation at 8:52 AM and booked to fly to Kona by 11:33 AM! :crafty:

You don't waste ANY time, do you? :eyebrow:

Christian

headhunter:
You don't waste ANY time, do you? :eyebrow:

Christian

A man of action. BAM !!!

And I even have a possible dive buddy. Unless you want to come too....

mccabejc:
Okay, it's done. Wednesday March 9 I'm flying to Kona. Staying at the Kona Seaside in Kailua, then coming home late Sunday night. A late afternoon dive the Wednesday I arrive, then three days of beach diving (Thurs-Sat), then a 36 hr. surface interval before I fly out. Okay, maybe a boat dive in there somewhere....

Thanks for the help guys. Now I just need to contact some Scubaboarders in Kailua and see if I can pick up some buddies for all the great beach diving. Cool. Maybe I can even hit my 50 dive mark by the time I get back.

I'll be staying in Kona starting March 4th till Saturday March 13th..... if you need a buddy for beach diving I can be your man for thursday and friday morning.

Erik

mccabejc:
Cool !!! One of the local divers already contacted me and offered to show me around, so maybe we can all get together and do some exploring.

And it sounds like this site will be on the top of our list:

http://www.shorediving.com/Earth/Hawaii/TBI/Place_of_Refuge/index.htm
This was my favorite. Uncrowded, extremely easy entry/exit, turtles and eels galore and garden eels in the sand at the end of the channel. It also offers a choice of deep and shallow reefs.

http://www.shorediving.com/Earth/Hawaii/TBI/Alua/index.htm

Another great spot is Mile marker 4 south of town. If you go out about fifty feet and turn left you're in for a treat. There are lava tubes, turtles and occasionally white-tips.

http://www.shorediving.com/Earth/Hawaii/TBI/Mile_Marker_4/index.htm

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom