Dive Vacation Recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MaxBottomtime:
This was my favorite. Uncrowded, extremely easy entry/exit, turtles and eels galore and garden eels in the sand at the end of the channel. It also offers a choice of deep and shallow reefs.

http://www.shorediving.com/Earth/Hawaii/TBI/Alua/index.htm

Another great spot is Mile marker 4 south of town. If you go out about fifty feet and turn left you're in for a treat. There are lava tubes, turtles and occasionally white-tips.

http://www.shorediving.com/Earth/Hawaii/TBI/Mile_Marker_4/index.htm
Place of Refuge is nice, but TOO CROWDED for my tastes. I liked mile marker 4 for night dives. Also, believe it or not, a night dive right in the bay is fun, and right across the street from the Sea Side.
Another great dive is this little village just north of Place of Refuge. You take the dirt road from Place of Refuge to Kealokakua (sp) Bay and turn left down a dirt road (trail?) about .5 mile before the bay, and go to the end. Ask your local, he'll know about this spot. Uncrowded, quaint and great diving. Watch out for the village chickens in the road.
Have fun and give us a report!!!

Rick Inman:
Place of Refuge is nice, but TOO CROWDED for my tastes. I liked mile marker 4 for night dives. Also, believe it or not, a night dive right in the bay is fun, and right across the street from the Sea Side.
Another great dive is this little village just north of Place of Refuge. You take the dirt road from Place of Refuge to Kealokakua (sp) Bay and turn left down a dirt road (trail?) about .5 mile before the bay, and go to the end. Ask your local, he'll know about this spot. Uncrowded, quaint and great diving. Watch out for the village chickens in the road.
Have fun and give us a report!!!
I went there as well. Got some great video on the small reefs near shore. I kept looking at the other side of the bay near the Capt. Cook monument. I had dived there from a boat before and liked the reef so I decided to swim for it. After about fifteen minutes it still looked far away, so I turned back. For a 360 degree view of the bay check out this link.

http://www.seetopia.com/hawaii/bigisland/panorama12.htm

Did you guys shore dive at Puako?? If so, can you compare to the places you've mentioned?

This crummy weather we're having is definitely inspiration for a trip to Kona. We'll be there March 14-18!! I can't wait to dive in Hawaii for the first time!!!

Deb

kelphelper:
Did you guys shore dive at Puako?? If so, can you compare to the places you've mentioned?

This crummy weather we're having is definitely inspiration for a trip to Kona. We'll be there March 14-18!! I can't wait to dive in Hawaii for the first time!!!

Deb
Puako CHURCH was my favorite dive on the island. Check out the reports on www.shorediving.com.

mccabejc:
A man of action. BAM !!!

And I even have a possible dive buddy. Unless you want to come too....
I need to concentrate on finishing my little project at home that I expected to be done with in mid-January. :11:

It will be either the second half of this year or maybe next year before I will be able to join men of action like yourself. Then, we'll have some travel fun! So, for now I'll just give you a little "BAM !!" for our local stuff. :wink:

Christian

Jim, I dove Kona in October and had a great time. I would suggest you book yourself on AT LEAST one Manta Night Dive. I did one, had such a euphoric experience, I had to do it again!!! I dove with Kona Honu Divers. Top notch outfit. While you are there, hit the Costco. They sell the Hawaiian Fish ID book for like $9. I brought several copies back for gifts to my buddies here on the mainland.

I hope conditions will be good for you. I know that in January/ Feb it tends to get rough. Only 50% of the boats go out due to surf.

Jim- I thought you meant a vacation FROM diving and was going to suggest a trek through the Sahara (or the Sonoran) Desert.

Why vis in the dive park was 40-50 ft today so why go anywhere else?

Dr. Bill

Anyone know of a good source for getting a good deal on a trip to Kona?

Also, is the Sheraton Keauhou Bay resort (4 star?), located close enough to some of the better beach dive sites? Would like to know of a good resort to stay at with family. A place where they can enjoy a sand beach and I can dive.

Thanks.

BlueDolphin,
My total is about $750 for air and four nights at a (crappy) 2 star hotel in Kailua. Did it thru Travelocity. Expedia had about the same prices. A little over 2 weeks in advance of the trip.

Diver_Jan:
I hope conditions will be good for you. I know that in January/ Feb it tends to get rough. Only 50% of the boats go out due to surf.

Okay Jan, we may have to rescind your "most optimistic diver" status. You're starting to sound like me...

I went to Kona last November. I did my boat dive with Kona Honu. Great people ! First class service. If you're looking for the best deal, you might wanna consider renting a vacation rental instead of a hotel. I booked mine through

http://www.hawaii-kona.com/

It was much better than some crappy hotel. You got kitchen, laundry machine in your room. My room even stuffed with Boogie boards, snorkeling bag, cooler etc. It's ocean front for about 100/day. You can get cheaper than that if you don't really care about the view.

Don't miss the Manta Ray dive !!!! Best 90 bucks you've ever spent !!!!!

Chris

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom