Divemasters, Instructors, & Dive Veterans

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fish_Whisperer:
What are some common, stupid n00b mistakes that you've seen over the years? What are some good ways to avoid looking like a complete dork? Yes, this is partially humorous, but it's also a serious query. Thank you.

You may want to define who you want to answer. Some DM's have the same number of dives as you do for example.

--Matt

Fish_Whisperer:
What are some common, stupid n00b mistakes that you've seen over the years? What are some good ways to avoid looking like a complete dork? Yes, this is partially humorous, but it's also a serious query. Thank you.
OK I'll bite;
diver loses control of buoyance, and ascends from 30ft I started following her but since vis was OK and I saw she was alright I slowed down waiting for her to submerge again. When she did I noticed she forgot to put her reg in her mouth. I started swimming like mad to her but slowed when she grabbed her octo. My relief was short lived when I watched her look it over, decide it was not the right one and threw it over her shoulder. I then bolted to her side, offer my reg and helped her find her "correct" one.
Oh yes this was an "advanced OW" student with 50 logged dives

Well, that's why I titled this thread the way that I did. I'd like to hear from people with lots of experience as divers, as instructors, and having worked with (and around) lots of new divers. I'm also looking for Do's and Don'ts for things like boat dives, shore dives, keeping my own stuff squared-away, helping other divers, etc.

Thanks in advance.

Believe it or not, FW, the frequency with which people will make shore dives without turning on their air is unbelievable!!!

Needless to say, this comes from poor buddy checks and pre-dive procedures and planning.

the Kraken

The Kraken:
Believe it or not, FW, the frequency with which people will make shore dives without turning on their air is unbelievable!!!

Needless to say, this comes from poor buddy checks and pre-dive procedures and planning.

the Kraken

Happens to me when the wife is my buddy and turns my air off during the buddy check. She's a pistol, I tell you.

Others:

Forgetting weights.
Forgetting to inflate the BC on a boat entry.
Forgetting lights on a night dive or not having enough battery for the duration.
Failing to inflate the BC on the surface.
Free-flows
Not torqueing the tank band tightly enough
Blocking the gate
Being oblivious to other divers who would like to get past you and make their way to the gate
bc's mounted backwards
regulators mounted backwards
forgetting to tag your tank after a dive
gear spread hither and yon
gargantuan dive bags
walking with fins on deck
lights on mask straps/head/shoulder
blinding people with your light on the surface or U/W
not cleaning up after gutting your catch
rinsing gear in the camera tanks

dherbman:
Happens to me when the wife is my buddy and turns my air off during the buddy check. She's a pistol, I tell you.

Now just how long has that insurance policy been in effect????

the Kraken-Murder for Insurance Investigator Service

Not mistakes necessarily, but sometimes silly looking. Body adorned with many of the following: giant combat knife, slate, snorkle, extra pockets, colorful hose and tank protectors, retractors, flashlights, multicolored equipment, etc. Take what you are likely to need, and keep it simple.

dherbman:

Others:

Forgetting weights.
Forgetting to inflate the BC on a boat entry.
Forgetting lights on a night dive or not having enough battery for the duration.
Failing to inflate the BC on the surface.
Free-flows
Not torqueing the tank band tightly enough

Good stuff, Herbman. Thank you.

Forgetting to turn on air? Don't people turn it on to check their air as part of their setup? I can see how a diver could easily forget to inflate their BC before making a boat entry...

I'm a newbie DM (about 8 months) and I lost a pair of newly certified divers on a shallow quarry dive with very low vis...make sure if you are leading to look back often!

Cheers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom