Diver dead after accident in Lake Ontario near Oakville

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Maybe just a clarification but (in the USA and I suspect in Canada) some (if not all) scuba certifying agencies require the dive shop to get their compressed gas analysed by a certified lab on a regular schedule. Additionally, the dive shop needs to be operating under a Scuba Certification Agency in order to get Insurance.

If this is the case with the dive shop involved (and I have no idea the name of the shop or care to know) then it would hardly be called "of their own accord".

John

Maybe just a clarification but (in the USA and I suspect in Canada) some (if not all) scuba certifying agencies require the dive shop to get their compressed gas analysed by a certified lab on a regular schedule. Additionally, the dive shop needs to be operating under a Scuba Certification Agency in order to get Insurance.

If this is the case with the dive shop involved (and I have no idea the name of the shop or care to know) then it would hardly be called "of their own accord".

John
Padi used to require quarterly tests, but with no enforcement - and they were done right after filter changes and compressors were still cool at start-up. Kinda pointless, but now they don't require any. Some states & provinces may require some, but - there is only one way to know if your tank air is clean.

John

I dont particularly care how you want to word it, they have regular tests and haven't had a bad gas analysis in over 30 years of being in business. Bad gas wasn't the issue in this case.

I dont particularly care how you want to word it, they have regular tests and haven't had a bad gas analysis in over 30 years of being in business. Bad gas wasn't the issue in this case.

Jimmer - it was not about how I worded anything...it was about how you worded it. Making it seem like the dive shop is going above and beyond on their own accord sound similar to those on this thread that have mentioned the counter that the gas might have been bad. Your revised statement that they have had regular tests is certainly more factual based if indeed correct. I do not have an opinion one way or the other about the gas and it impact on this accident. Until the official report is posted indicating such from an independent examiner then everything else is speculation. There has been so much speculation presented on both sides in this thread it now seems that an independant reader can only conclude that there are some major personality issues within the Southern Ontario diving community.

DandyDon - if it is no longer in the PADI shop requirements then that must have happened in the last 6 months as the copy of their dive center requirements showed it still listed as a requirement. I could not dispute the lack of any form of enforcement. However, any reasonable dive shop owner would have to carefully consider the ramifications of not having the testing done and the impacts upon their insurance carriers support should a accident occur. And your also bang on with your comments on timing of the testing samples.

John

Fair enough John,

My only goal in commenting on this thread is to make sure that what little factual information I have is added to the mix of speculation. Otherwise I have been an observer here just like the rest.

I will also agree with you that there is some very strong personalities in the Southern Ontario Diving scene.

Jim

Jimmer - it was not about how I worded anything...it was about how you worded it. Making it seem like the dive shop is going above and beyond on their own accord sound similar to those on this thread that have mentioned the counter that the gas might have been bad. Your revised statement that they have had regular tests is certainly more factual based if indeed correct. I do not have an opinion one way or the other about the gas and it impact on this accident. Until the official report is posted indicating such from an independent examiner then everything else is speculation. There has been so much speculation presented on both sides in this thread it now seems that an independant reader can only conclude that there are some major personality issues within the Southern Ontario diving community.

John

No Padi withdrew the requirement some years back. It just does not get discussed, but then a lot of shops will continue testing as it looks good to have a record of clean tests, even tho the timing of the tests make the inconclusive generally.

The best shops will install and maintain inline CO monitors like the Analox Clear or similar with automatic shut off when CO is detected at set levels. The primary compressor on Cozumel and the one at FIBR Roatan are in the process of installing Clear units, but they're rare south of the US.

I have no knowledge of how things are done in Canada.

The OUC promised to add to it's accident report and was sifting through mounds of conflicting information months ago. I hope that we can still expect a full accident report in this case as we used to in Ontario. Raimund? Brooke? Scott?

There has been so much speculation presented on both sides in this thread it now seems that an independant reader can only conclude that there are some major personality issues within the Southern Ontario diving community.

John

At least in some of those who post online :wink: but I would tend to agree with you. It gets old IMO.

Can anybody here really say there are not "major personality issues" within the rest of the world? What we are seeing here is the same thing you see in pretty much every A&I thread no matter where it occurred. Old? Yes and that is why I tend to try to stay away from them (not always successfully) but this "quality" really has nothing to do with Southern Ontario divers specifically.

Can anybody here really say there are not "major personality issues" within the rest of the world? What we are seeing here is the same thing you see in pretty much every A&I thread no matter where it occurred. Old? Yes and that is why I tend to try to stay away from them (not always successfully) but this "quality" really has nothing to do with Southern Ontario divers specifically.

Yep, smells exactly like the same old politics we get around here...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom