Diver dead on the Andrea Doria

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I hope you are right, that was not my experience, but then you've likely had more contact with the recreational CCR community than I have. In the science world ppO2s are very rigidly controlled, however, the CCR divers that I knew (and I'll grant you that most of the early guys were either exmilitary or excommercial) did not have quite the respect for ppO2s that you express. That may stem from having gone through pure oxygen runs at 60 FSW as was common for qualification in the old days.

The normal recompression chamber treatment for a type 2 DCI is a Navy Table 6 which involves subjecting the patient to a ppO2 of 2.84 for more than 4 hours

Actually the patient is only at max PPO2 for 3 x 20 minute blocks out of the 4h 45m treatment:

fig2g10.gif

Actually the patient is only at max PPO2 for 3 x 20 minute blocks out of the 4h 45m treatment:

View attachment 100290
The above is true for most multi lock chambers and for chambers pressurized with air. But with the single place plastic tubes you do the whole ride on 100% without any air breaks.

alot of chamber dives require more than a table 6.. Usually table 6 is only used for mild cases where symptoms immediately are clear after the first o2 run... When I was bent a few years back I had to do 5 or 6 (don't remember exactly) o2 cycles at 60fsw..

When you add to this the more experienced CCR pilots' propensity to set their oxygen ever higher, as in: "what the hell, I've never had a problem and it shortens my deco," come on, admit it, we've all done it ...
That might be just you...all the CCR guys I've talked to use a 1.0-1.2 set point.

I'd love to have that reference, if it would not be too much trouble.

It looks like the original link that I found is now dead, but here is a previous thread where I posted it and it was discussed.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/rebreather-diving/243450-900-times-more-deadly-than-oc.html

Whilst hunting for it, I also came across this:

CCR 900 times more dangerous than OC???

Someone cleverer than me can probably extract the old web pages from the black hole in which archived sites are kept. Digging around, I think this may be the same article: Diver Rebreather Fatalities Database Extract

My error, by the way - the actually number was 900 times.

Yeah it gives an update timeline on the first page. Latest update is in Feb 2010

Back
Top Bottom