Diver dead on the Andrea Doria

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Do you know the differences between SCR(semi-close circuit) and CCR(close-circut)?

The RB80 is what it is. Without knowing your PPO2 you're basing your guess on a chart it sounds like.

Your answer: ones semi-closed... :)

Just a question about rebreathers.....is there any way of telling how much air he breathed before dying? This would indicate (perhaps IMPLY is a better choice of words) that he died X minutes into the dive. Not that it would help solve the riddle of why and how but I am curious.

Just a question about rebreathers.....is there any way of telling how much air he breathed before dying? This would indicate (perhaps IMPLY is a better choice of words) that he died X minutes into the dive. Not that it would help solve the riddle of why and how but I am curious.

An indication maybe, but it would not be reliable since there was probably leakage and starting pressures would not be very precise. A few PSI can be a long time on a rebreather. There have also been cases where divers will black-out but continue breathing, which further complicates the analysis. Probably the best indicator of blackout time would be tracking depth changes on the computer, unless the body was found in front of a china storage locker or entangled.

No way was this CCR diver breathing air. The Deceased's buddy is posting on other boards. He wants some time to collect himself.

Mike had a dive buddy, Andrew Ainslie. Exactly what their agreement was as far as how they were going to execute the dive, I don't know. I do know Andrew. He has promised to publish an account of this dive, once he has regained his equanimity, and I trust him. (Andrew recently wrote up a dive where he screwed up badly for the NACD journal; if he says he'll write about it, he will.)

We just all need to take a deep breath and have patience. Information WILL be forthcoming, from the best source, which is the diver's buddy. Can you imagine what it would take out of you to write such an account?

Stuff happens and there isn't anything anyone can do about it. Mechanical things break with no warning. As long as divers get in the water people will die. All we can try to do is get the best and most comprehensive training we can, pay attention to that training, and keep our skills sharp by diving regularly. Even at that there will be fatalities. This activity is not all fun, sun, beautiful places and people having a good time without a care in the world. The sooner it starts being communicated that while these kinds of dives SEEM to kill more people than the warm water shallow reef touristy dive, the fact is that even the most benign dives can kill very quickly and in some very nasty ways.

Those who do technical dives know the risks and take every precaution they can to minimize them. But even then that may not be enough. Non-tech divers need to approach this in the same manner relative to the dive they are doing. I'm sure the diver here took every possible precaution, coupled with years of experience, and still something went wrong. Think about that the next time you decide to skip a buddy check, not check your regs, or not do a proper weight check with that new suit or BC. You may end up the same way.

I am going to have to agree with this and put in my two cents.
I dont thing any one of us that takes up this sport wants to die doing it, that said we are thrill junkys! And no one can say other wise to the point we put on gear that could fail at any time..but more often than not it does not. we travel to strange and exotic place's on the planet to test our skill and enjoy what other waters have to offer even when we have not ever been their in our life!
now that being said we have many levels of what our thrill is some like to just look at pretty fish and reef while others search for deep wrecks and the like. some like to take new and un-tried gear system's to a new level. And I see this all of the time one set of diver's think its wrong to mess with what is a good thing and another set wants to push the limit as to what is and could be. and to my point tech diver's are in a class of their own and do have their "sh!t" together...and it is sad when one of these super-thrill seekers does not come back home. But we should be ever vigilant but we just dont know when our time is up.

There were 3 rebreather divers who died last week (two on the same boat on different dives). I have to wonder if, they would still be alive today if, they had been using an open-circuit system and tri-mix. I also have to wonder what happened to the team on the AD dive.
It looks to me that the tech community needs to step back and take a hard look at what they are doing

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom