Diver Death at CSSP - Terrell TX

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MikeFerrara:
......... It is easy as long as it's easy but when it gets hard it's not easy any more and you can either deal with it or not........

uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh....what? Are you saying it's easy to be easy or it is hard to be easy? Never mind, I'll deal with it!
Just kidding Mike, actually I think you have some interesting and valid points.

TwoBitTxn:
I agree with you JBD. My thought is the wife did what she knew to do. She realized she couldn't do what she wanted to do, get her husband to the surface, so she did the next best thing, she went and got help.

TwoBit

Indeed this is how I think the scenario played out, and I find no fault in her actions. The question then becomes, could, or should, this person (anyone taking a OW class) be taught how to respond in a better way considering that time is so critically limited? {Picking up on the theme of MikeFerrara's post #34}

During the NAUI OW course the students are taught to bring both an unconscious skindiver and scuba diver to the surface and introduced to in-water rescue breathing. Dealing with an unconscious diver is quite static or stable compared to dealing with paniced diver in a life threatening situation. Considering that, where do we as an industry draw the line as to what to teach at any given level :06:

I like the fact that NAUI has some level of rescue training included in all of its courses, which is one reason I selected NAUI when I decded to become an instructor, but I do wonder if there should be more skills training in the OW class for dealing with a actively paniced or in trouble diver. Would that be asking more than could be reasonably expected from beginning level students :06:

As Mike mentions, scuba diving is very easy when everything is going well and no problems arise, but when something does go wrong the people present must know what to do and be able to do it well right then and there.

As to this specific case I doubt that the very best trained and experienced rescue person could have saved his life. Even in a hospital with nearly instantaneous, trained experienced response many people don't survive a life threatening event.

jbd:
Indeed this is how I think the scenario played out, and I find no fault in her actions. The question then becomes, could, or should, this person (anyone taking a OW class) be taught how to respond in a better way considering that time is so critically limited? {Picking up on the theme of MikeFerrara's post #34}

During the NAUI OW course the students are taught to bring both an unconscious skindiver and scuba diver to the surface and introduced to in-water rescue breathing. Dealing with an unconscious diver is quite static or stable compared to dealing with paniced diver in a life threatening situation. Considering that, where do we as an industry draw the line as to what to teach at any given level :06:

I like the fact that NAUI has some level of rescue training included in all of its courses, which is one reason I selected NAUI when I decded to become an instructor, but I do wonder if there should be more skills training in the OW class for dealing with a actively paniced or in trouble diver. Would that be asking more than could be reasonably expected from beginning level students :06:

As Mike mentions, scuba diving is very easy when everything is going well and no problems arise, but when something does go wrong the people present must know what to do and be able to do it well right then and there.

As far as I'm concerned there is no we in the industry. Luckily there are agencies that insist or at least allow you to teach more.

As to this specific case I doubt that the very best trained and experienced rescue person could have saved his life. Even in a hospital with nearly instantaneous, trained experienced response many people don't survive a life threatening event.

No telling. The diver may have stood little chance of survival if brought to the surface but certainly had no chance at all on the bottom. If you can't get them to the surface, any discussion of what their chances would have been is moot.

MikeFerrara:
As far as I'm concerned there is no we in the industry.

Mike,

Can you explain what you mean by this?

MikeFerrara:
No telling. The diver may have stood little chance of survival if brought to the surface but certainly had no chance at all on the bottom. If you can't get them to the surface, any discussion of what their chances would have been is moot.

Agreed and quite true, which raises the question, what can or should be done about it and by whom should it be done?

jbd:
Mike,

Can you explain what you mean by this?

Only that I don't consider myself as part of the industry.

MikeFerrara:
Only that I don't consider myself as part of the industry.

Given your past history, can you be anything but part of the industry :06: Seriously, consider that you were an active instructor. You've done it their way. You've done it your way. You owned and operated your own shop. You still dive. Caves no less. You have the ability or background to see things from many perspectives. Certainly your view on things has affected some people.

in memory of Dski:
How dare someone even THINK of something like that. That GUY was my father and his wife of over 35 years loved him dearly. This isnt some made for TV drama and remarks like that are HIGHLY uncalled for in a situation that you know little to nothing about. :mad: :redhot: :furious:

I did a search for this post by Keysdrifter and didn't see it- perhaps it was pulled by moderators? I'm so very sorry that someone from Scubaboard would say something so insensitive. Most of us here would never dream to say something like that, and I apologize for the horrible feelings that you have had to endure because of it.

This situation is one that we all better take note of, because these ARE flesh and blood people, who are affected by our posts.

I'm sure that the hardest thing that your mother ever did in her life was to have to leave your dad, when she went for help, and that she did the very best that she could do. Please tell her that my prayers are with her (and all your family), and that I hope she gets some relief and peace soon. I know all of your hearts are breaking, and I'm so very sorry for you all. Take care, and again, I'm sorry you were hurt here.

Foo

very well put foo and right to the point..some people just dont get it and never will...my heart goes out to her and her family at this time as i know this will be with her for a long time and i hope that she finds the support she needs to help her get through the rough days ahead and to whomever posted that post i hope you are happy..pretty sad when a diver dies how fast people forget that they were in fact flesh and blood and meant something to someone somewhere..

Back
Top Bottom