Diver died on Beaver Lake tonight

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What delivery device do you have for your 02? It would be nice to have a nasopharyngeal airway, oral device or op tubes.
I'd sure like to be fully set up with an AED. We just have the trainer.
Delivering O2 to a person not breathing is very tough without airway devices.

This is the exact reason I ALWAYS have an automatic external defibrillator and 2 tanks of oxygen with me 100% of time. (CPR just buys a little time and is frequently performed improperly)

Many think it overkill; I have watched people die awaiting an AED and O2...I vowed that this won't happen again in my presence.

The reply to the OP that included 'blaming' comments about diabetes and obesity are premature and presumptive. That poster may consider an edit.

Glad I am not the only one who considers carrying a DEFIB as well as an O2 system appropriate for diver's safety! I also carry oropharyngeal airways

IMHO some people need to stop assuming others can gain or lose weight or avoid health problems as easily as they may be able to. As has been said here.. there are a lot of slim, fit and health conscious people who die unexpectedly from causes they thought their lifestyle protected them from! Put away the soap boxes folks and be thankful for your good fortune and hope it continues.

We can not and should not judge this diver or his motivation/self control as we do not have the facts necessary to do so.

Without judging the victim and potentially hurting the loved ones we can speculate as to whether the Diabetes and weight issues were factors. Perhaps it could have been IPE, barotrauma or AGE. We can look at the event and compare to the statistic others have posted. We can learn from the valuable information posted about Diabetes. We can cite the need for regular medicals and following medical advice as much as possible.

Ultimately I would suggest that non of you will question me on my BMI or turn away the assistance of my O2 system, Defib and training when you are gasping for breath. IMHO some of these scuba related deaths could be avoided if people spent a bit more money on First Aid training and equipment such as O2 delivery systems and DEFIBS and a little less on luxuries like jewelry, and the current trendy (you name it).:duck:

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

A number of posts have been deleted. I tried to allow some of the off topic discussion about the diabetes angle as there was some good discussion about health and fitness and the treatment and diagnoses of such disease as it relates to diving. But too many posters continue to drift into left field with the discussion to allow it to continue.

As a result, the vast majority of those comments as well as those quoting or responding to them have been deleted or edited. Please keep this on topic and relevant to the accident as per the rules of this forum.

Cave Diver,

This post is off-topic wrt the OP, but deals with SB in general and you in particular.

I appreciate your fairness in editing and moderating posts that go off-topic. It must be an aggravating job, and you appear to be quite fair.

Cave Diver,

This post is off-topic wrt the OP, but deals with SB in general and you in particular.

I appreciate your fairness in editing and moderating posts that go off-topic. It must be an aggravating job, and you appear to be quite fair.

*Puts hand up* I'm with mpetryk 100% on that!:clapping:

i dont think physicals would make all the diffrence though it would be a significant help. There are alot of divers who pass away and have passed several physicals even some just previous to their deaths. The most important thing is know your own personal limits and stay within them.

Yes a physical would reduce alot of senseless deaths but the best advice is dive comfortably and excercise regularly. pay attention to warning signs like headaches and dizziness and take those signs seriously not just take an asprin then jump right in.

One serious issue I have witnessed so many times is people congested will take a sudifed and then dive right in.

If your not 100 percent up to the dive you owe it to your family and friends to reschedule. It may be instant for you but its eternal for them.

Is it dangerous to take Sudafed before a dive? Why? Could that have led to the death of the diver?

if it wears off during the dive it could cause congestion to return and therefore cause you to rupture your ear drums and alot of other equalization problems

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom