Diver drowns in golf course pond at Las Colinas Country Club

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bryan

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Man drowns in golf course pond at Las Colinas Country Club

01:57 PM CDT on Thursday, June 25, 2009
By AVI SELK / The Dallas Morning News
aselk@dallasnews.com
A 27-year-old man drowned while diving for golf balls at an Irving country club Wednesday night, according to officials.

Employees at the Las Colinas Country Club noticed one of men employed by the company that recovers balls from the golf course ponds had not returned by closing time at 8 p.m, said Stephen Salzman, the club's general manager.

When they found the man's cart sitting empty next to one of the ponds, they called police, who searched the lake and recovered the body identified by the Dallas County medical examiner's office as Christopher Logan.

"I don't really know what happened," Salzman said. "The water is not that deep in that pond." He said the pond was only five feet deep in some areas. "Something catastrophic must have happened."

Irving police did not return a call made by The Dallas Morning News .

I worked with the man's uncle years ago, and I understand from others closer to the story that he was found after they discovered his golf cart by the pond and his mask floating on the water. His tank was empty.

There was a thunderstorm in the area during the time he would have been diving, and it was a scorcher that day. I wonder if he didn't get struck by lightning or get heat stroke.

He left behind a 3-yr old son and wife. My thoughts and prayers are with the family.

This thread will probably get moved, but I wanted to let the local community know of this tragedy.

Last edited:
A friend of mine very close to the family called a moment ago, and it sounds like carbon monoxide poisoning is being considered due to early blood test results.

How so very sad! :(

Very sad, Fox 4 News just said that his breathing apparatus was found floating on the surface and the engine on the air supply pump was not on. The ME did say it was caused by carbon monoxide as the OP originally stated.

wow

bad news all around

That's what I gathered from the news story as I was reading this thread when the story came on. Does anyone know for sure what he was using? Bryan?

I hadn't heard that he was using surface-supplied equipment, but it makes sense, given the CO readings in his blood test.

One person told me his tank was empty, but it sounds like he was using some sort of hookah rig now.

Back
Top Bottom