Diver drowns while training

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am a simple caveman.... I know not the ways of the world. But I do appreciate all the constructive conversation realting to Public Safety Dive Rescue. I began my diving career in the military and it has drawn me into the world of public safety diving over the last three years. I am interested in any SOPs/Predive Checklists that have been developed by agencies for their diving operations. Please email me at br*spamguard*ice@gorge.net. Thank you all for your time and interest in the advancement of Public Safety diving.

I am curious about the dangling octo's discussed earlier.

Would a long hose/bungeed backup work in this situation. My thought is that the distressed buddy need only find his buddies head, at which point he/she could take the long primary while the other diver goes to a backup on a short hose.

I do not mean this as criticism. I seek only enlightenment.

Northeastwrecks: We started out using the "standard method" (octo in the golden triangle); our PS instructors never taught the tank/octo method. We have now switched to the long hose/necklace method. Works great even in no vis (which we "see" a lot of).

Northeastwrecks,

In reference to your question...the main factor of why a long hose or bungeed backup would not work in public safety diving situations (atleast in my experience) is the fact that we wear full face masks while diving. The full face masks are secured on our head/face with five seperate straps that are supposed to be pulled as tight as possible to prevent breathing air from escaping and to prevent contaminated water from entering. Therefore, there's not a "main" to give to a partner in distress. If my full face mask comes off or is ripped off, that's a bad thing! Anyway, like I said before, the octos are very much secured (although you could not see that in the photo to which Mr. Ferrara refered) and are well within reach of the person dawning it.

Excellent point! Our guys haven't been taught the other methods yet because we haven't been able to afford the full face masks with communications yet!

Whole different ball game.

Using a regular mask/reg, I 'd say definately the long hose/necklace. Works great for us. With a full face mask, I'll just have to see what we'll be taught.

Thanks for the information. The Public Safety divers that I have seen in our area do not, to my knowledge, have full face masks. I agree that a full face mask would make my question unworkable.

Indy & Mike,
Thank you both for this thread. I have read through the posts, and hope that you two can work out a way to "get it all together".
I wondered, at first, about Mike after his first reply. But 20-20 hindsite and his VERY impressive comments soon changed my opinion. Indy is obviously dedicated, and the combo of the two will only result in a safer dive program. I can only hope the beaurocrats will see the advantages of a program like Mike's.
As a rescue diver myself, I applaud you both and wish you both this: Dive Safe! Dive often! God bless the Jolliff family during this time, and know that he will be appreciated and missid, regardlesss of whether I knew him or not. A buddy has left us. Mike, take us forward!

John aka "Smack" in VT

As I am reading through this thread I am deeply saddened by the loss of a public safety diver. One is too many. Without being on site and seing a full report, from the post I can see a few faults that might have contributed to the incident. I am also concerned with the differances in opinions about public safety diving search/recovery techniques. Which leads me to see that too often training alone even if it is frequent is not enough, if training has inadequate techniques and command. Too many opinions have no room for such training. Good training is difficult to get since public funds are often not available to train teams. Somehow those that risk their lifes to recover a dead body are the most neglected by towns.
Anyway, I commend all those here that are eager to train. I suggest contacting an training agency to conduct the training. There are several. One that comes to mind is Lifeguard Systems. They are out of NY but are often enough training in Indiana. They truly know what they are doing.
Public safety diving search rescue/recovery is a totally different beast from sport diving or rescue. The bottom line is "when the job is done, we must go home"

For those interested you might want to visit www.teamlgs.com. There is a good book from them "Public Safety Diving"
By Andrea Zaferes & Walt "Butch" Hendrick of LifeGuard Systems.

State-of-the-art Public Safety Diving Rescue/Recovery team deployment and operation techniques that keep rescuers and victims as safe as possible. The pros and cons of different commercially available equipment are presented. Patient care information for everyone from the first responder to EMS personnel is given in an easy to read format.

It's a small investment for a lot of good information and knowledge.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom