Diver found dead off Hollywood beach

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thank you for the details Kaliber35.

Given the site details, I don't think solo diving vs buddy diving would have been much of a factor. Had he had any type of medical emergency I don't beleive that a buddy 200 yards off shore would have had much of a chance to save his life. Rescue breaths is about all the buddy could have done during a tow back to shore. CPR is useless until you can get the victim to a solid surface.

I'm all for solo diving but to say that a buddy couldn't have a chance to save his life in any type of medical emergency just because he was 200 yards off shore doesn't make a lot of sense. If we are talking about a massive heart attack sure but if it was a stroke or seizure or many other conditions having a buddy to get him to the surface before he drowned would be of great benefit.

Has the cause of death or any other details been learned for the diver found in the surf at Hollywood Beach, FL this weekend?

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Threads have been merged.

Ok.. so back to the orginal topic....

They estimate he had been dead aprox. 12 hours? That would put him in the water around dusk the previous evening. 12 hours is a long time for someone to be missing, surprised no family or friends reported him missing.

that makes him a solo diver or a homocide victim

RIP

that makes him a solo diver or a homocide victim

RIP

Here is a thought. What if he did have a buddy on that dive? Did that buddy have a problem at depth and the reported victim tried to help him and suffered fatally in the effort? Is there a second victim somewhere?

We can think of hundreds of scenarios but until the facts are out, what's the point? He is gone and the facts have not been released. I'll wait till we have more information before I come to any conclusions.

The facts never seem to come out.

Isn't that the truth! Almost ALL of the threads in the Accidents and Incidents section never get the details needed to even get near a true reason for the death so almost everything in here is speculation.

The only person who knows what happened in ANY dive accident seems unable to tell us . . .

I tell my student a Open Water C-card is only a LEARNERS PERMIT to diving. Just like a learners permit it gives them the right to practice skills in the real world. They are just learning about good buoyancy after 5 checkout dives, effects of nitrogen on their bodies (being tired after a dive) etc. A C-card shows they have passed the minimum requirements to scuba dive & gives them the right to rent or buy pressurized cylinders of 21% oxygen/79% Nitrogen. I tell them they need experience by diving regularly, taking specialty courses (Nitrox, S&R), reading books, researching websites, etc. "Take the sport of scuba diving as seriously as you would skydiving - your life or the life of your buddy might depend on it" :D There are no dive police at 100'

a C card is like a drivers license. The training may be good and the instructor completely qualified to teach, however what the new diver does or what bad habits he may develop is completely his own responsibility. If the student meets the requirements and passes the test then he gets the card..........What he does after that is up to him or her

Has the cause of death or any other details been learned for the diver found in the surf at Hollywood Beach, FL this weekend?

I too ask this question--any medical info coming out yet???....tia....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom