Diver Indicted in 2003 GBR mishap

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is an interesting post I found recently, Source: http://divertodiver.scubadiving.com/printable.aspx?m=103060:

"marriard -> RE: very few details, and odd ones+ (5/20/2009 8:57:09 AM)

Unfortunately the DM who can be seen swimming down to assist this poor woman is a friend of mine. He has had to testify several times already on this rescue and I know it cuts him up pretty badly.

This isn't a wall dive (it isn't on the Great Barrier Reef either but whatever). The maximum depth is right around 130' and the story this guys tells (well the latest version of it anyway) does not make sense.

I am told two divers in the water at the same time told him that as he got out of the water exactly that. Something along the lines of "You need to change that story, because that is not what happened."

You see someone floating towards the (not very deep) bottom and you ascend to get help??? What??"
***END***

Last edited:
Interesting but irrelevant because it is heresay (or what this non-lawyer thinks is heresay). I just really hope that justice does get served.

You see someone floating towards the (not very deep) bottom and you ascend to get help??? What??

K_Girl, I'll state again that I believe Gabe probably did kill Tina. But if everyone who saw someone floating towards the bottom and then ascended to get help were convicted of murder you'd have a lot of murders on your hands.

I know that the number/combination of circumstantial issues stretch reasonable belief, but I wouldn't blow the trumpet above too loudly. If you're looking to make the case, then there are many more 'difficult to defend' arguments in this case. Someone going to get help isn't a particularly damning indictment of anything, not even necessarily training agencies.

Please note that I am not advocating anything that Marriard had to say. I certainly have no way to prove that what this person said is the truth. Yes, it is total hearsay. Exactly, it is not evidence and it should not be treated that way.

I just thought it was an interesting post that someone out there claimed to know the DM who brought Tina to the surface. I don't think I was blowing a trumpet about the post at all. I never said anything to make it appear that I was believing what they said or that it should be taken as an absolute truth. So please - just take it in the spirit of how I posted it, just as something interesting, nothing more.

I added ***END*** to the post so that readers understand that I made no comment to the original post.

Last edited:
Some comments on Australian law after reading back a little in this thread:

Watson is to be tried in Australia, so points of law and legal cases cited from a US perspective are not really relevant; our legal system is in many respects different from the US system. Also if Watson cannot afford a defence counsel one will be appointed for him. The National Legal Aid service through the Queensland Law Society can utilise the services of private legal practitioners ( ie, a barrister, who is an expert in courtroom defence) to represent him in court in a criminal trial even though he is a US citizen. His case will therefore not be compromised by use of a less skilled solicitor or a US attorney not familiar with the Australian legal system, although his present attorney may act as an advisor to the barrister.

Jurors here are chosen at random from electoral roles (we have compulsory voting) and may be challenged for cause during empanelling, for example if a person is not qualified to serve as a juror or if they are seen as being biased. That may be difficult in Townsville due to the amount of publicity Watson has already received and the role the media has played. The outcome of any challenge for cause is decided by the judge. In a criminal trial in Queensland the prosecution and defence are also each entitled to 8 peremptory challenges (challenge without cause). So it remains to be seen if any divers will serve on the jury.

And some further comments:

In my humble opinion most of the arguments put forward on here are mostly hearsay and supposition. The links K-girl has provided are in most cases from the media, and therefore necessarily unreliable. To quote the post in Watson Murder Case - Issues, Statements & Sources: "The primary source for most of these posts are MSNBC", "The Coroner's Report", and the "Transcript of Watson's 10/27/07 interview, 5 days after Tina's death"

We cannot and should not rely on the media to be unbiased. And we are all aware of sensationalism in reporting; as someone once said, "Never let the facts get in the way of a good story". I prefer to believe that Watson is innocent until proven guilty, the basic tenet of both our legal systems, so I'll leave the ultimate judgment up to the courts here in Australia and not depend on various media speculation. It is pointless to make judgments based on an incomplete knowledge of the evidence.

The Coroner's published findings that you make reference to are also incomplete; the whole record can only be obtained via an application to the Queensland Coroner's Court once an investigation has been closed. However, "Access to coronial documents is regulated...most of the material contained on a coronial file is highly sensitive and may be graphic and distressing in nature. Therefore, information is only made available to those who have sufficient interest in the investigation, such as the immediate family of the deceased" So the general public is also only privy to some of the Coroner's findings and as you can see by reference to those, we are not able to access the detailed explanations of the various "Exhibits" alluded to within the public document or the autopsy report. The sources are therefore lacking in this respect, and following from that, I rather think the points made are merely supposition. Also, we have no way of knowing if the transcripts of the police investigation have been published in their entirety despite the Townsville Bulletin stating that, or if they have been edited in any way. I would be very surprised if Watson's lawyer would have allowed them to be published in full, as both he and Watson would have had first access to the transcripts under the Police Powers and Responsibilities Act (2000). In my opinion then none of us have all the facts of this case and another "Trial by media" serves no purpose.

K_girl, you have also said that you believe Watson is guilty. If you think he is guilty, perhaps you need to ask yourself then if your reasoning is sound or if you are being naturally inclined towards a "guilty verdict"; bias is often a difficult thing to ascertain when examining your own motives. You also said to one poster that you have to be "careful about conjuring up stories" and yet I believe that is what you are doing with your conjectures, suppositions and "potential arguments". I believe the scenarios you use for both the defence and the prosecution arguments are based on a false premise, ie, incomplete information garnered mostly from the media, as Dadvocate has also said. And facts are not facts just because they appear in the media (including the internet). As this case has yet to go to trial, the truth of the "facts" you have mentioned has not been tested in a court of law, and the police transcript has also yet to be examined in this manner. All the speculation in the world about what Watson said or did not say, or did or did not do, or why, does not matter, because it is at trial that he will be found innocent or guilty. In my opinion a court is the only place for the facts to be fully examined and a judgment made as to the veracity of all the evidence available.

I agree with livinoz wholeheartedly. I also want to say that I find the other thread about the "Issues" of the case to be borderline offensive. That thread is presented as though it represents the facts of the case. It is suggested that no one should make comments to it based upon their experiences, but K_girl does so in every post with a partisan interpretation of every issue plus editorial comment here and there. It is a one-sided read that focusses solely on reasons to convict and no evidence related to the possibility of innocence is presented. I don't know if there is any, but I suspect there must be some facts that are at least neutral.

Additionally, there is no reason relative to the case to bring attention to Watson's treatment of the grave site. Clearly, there is bad blood between him and her family, and that could explain all of those actions. It tells us nothing of his state of mind at the time of her death, or his culpability. You can legitimately look at his attempts to increase their insurance coverage prior to her death, but I don't see that his attempt to collect on any policies after the fact is evidence. It is the natural course to collect on insurance when the event for which it was purchased occurs. If the bad blood with the family goes back before the incident, that may even be used to justify his wish to remove them from any insurance policies.

This board is quick to comment on ineffective training. There are numerous reports of rushed training sessions and of divers who ran through a handful of certifications over the course of a few weeks and probably aren't retaining all that is supposed to be taught. Many here are quick to say that having a certification isn't the same as having the knowledge and ability that should go along with the certification. It is also said that one must practice techniques with some regularity in order to maintain the ability to perform them under duress in emergency situations. I don't know what Watson's log book looks like, or what level of proficiency he actually has. Does anyone have details of his diving career that would suggest that he actually has rescue skills? Is there a record of him ever having rescued another diver?

I believe he is guilty, but that's based upon his comments rather than any physical evidence. His stories just don't ring true. From the physical evidence, I could just as easily believe a poorly trained "rescue" diver attempted to help a woman who was having breathing problems and inadvertantly closed her valve rather than opening it. I could believe that the air valve was closed when she was found on the sea floor and that someone opened it trying to assist her on the way up and didn't remember doing it when describing the events. As livinoz mentioned, most of what we know about the case comes from articles that have been, to some extent, editorialized. I have to wonder if the strength of my feelings that Watson is guilty are based upon all the biased reads and comments to which I have been exposed, both here and in the original media reports.

With the proximity of the other divers, especially those in the group that provided the pictures, you would have hoped for better eye-witness testimony that would remove any doubt. All I can say is that I am glad he is in Australia answering the charges and that I hope he is convicted if he is guilty.

It would seem that the majority of posters here don't like what I have been doing. Therefore, I think it is time for me to shut-up and go away. I'm glad that at least there will be a trial now.

It would seem that the majority of posters here don't like what I have been doing. Therefore, I think it is time for me to shut-up and go away. I'm glad that at least there will be a trial now.

That's certainly not what I was suggesting; we are all entitled to our opinion. But I personally found the sources you have used to come to the decision that Watson is guilty are flawed. IMHO I think we have to be very careful when judging someone based solely on media reports.

Yes, the trial will be interesting. I also think trying to get an impartial jury together in Townsville will be fascinating!

All I'm saying is that, if you want special treatment for a clean thread describing the issues of the case, that you should at least make an effort to be objective and impartial in that medium. Though it would be hard to manage, using a model that separates the facts into one thread and discussion into another might be a lot easier. Certainly, it would make it easier for latecomers to get up to speed on the situation before making comment. You just can't expect to take a side and not get rebuttal. After all, as I've read elsewhere on this site, it isn't a personal blog, but a forum for discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom