Diver missing on Cape Breton in Nanaimo 11/24/07

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thank you Dave.

That was tough to read, I can not imagine how much tougher it was to write.

That was one of the most complete accident analysis I've read and the spirit of this forum, I truly hope your post will serve as a somber reminder and hopefully save someones life as they reevaluate their choices.

Bjorn

Thanks for the report. Not a good day.

Did he have gas remaining in his tanks?

(typing at the same time as Underseabumblebee)

Scott was unable to determine that since vis went to zero by the time he made the tie-off to the body. We have asked the RCMP to let us know as soon as they make the recovery. I think the information will be very telling.

UnderSeaBumbleBee:
You mentioned that you thought they were diving a mix too hot for the depth. Can someone who is a bit more versed in gas management explain this a bit more and how task loading can compound the issue?

Although most agencies allow a PPO2 of 1.6 as a maximum recommended dose that is under very ideal conditions and has been found to be too high in most recreational diving situations. We are taught to back off from that maximum for contributing factors such as cold water and workload. There is some strong evidence that CO2 is a strong contributor to CNS toxicity such as produced during heavy work or stress. Therefore most experienced divers tend to back way off on PPO2 and pay a slightly higher deco penalty rather than risk CNS toxicity.

That was excellent and very difficult to read - exactly what is needed to remind us all to check complacency at the beach. It is far too easy to push the envelope and forget that this is an unforgiving sport.

Ken Adrian, the owner of Divers Choice Charters in Nanaimo, a friend of Daniel (the lost diver), spoke with the RCMP dive recovery team about allowing a team of cave trained CCR divers continue the search. The RCMP suspended their search late Thursday and the wreck was opened up to recreational divers. The team of Dave Tomblin, Aaron Lackie, Scott Ensor and myself made two dives on Friday, the first with a run time of 90 minutes and average depth of 125 feet covered 95% of the area of the wreck aft of the engine room. It was determined from combining the eyewitness reports, the dive computer profile, a written description of the incident from Candace and detailed construction plans of the wreck, that the lost diver couldn’t have made it past the 3 deck high continuous bulkhead that separates the aft section of the ship from the engine room, and so we concentrated our search in this area. After the first dive, we marked off all areas that had been searched by the two teams (of two) and looked at what might have been missed. We surmised that the two rooms forward of the “air lock”, which are cold storage rooms, had not be adequately covered and Scott and I were tasked to cover this area, as well as the storerooms directly below them. This area is 6” to over a foot deep in rust flakes and silt and was an extremely difficult area to maintain visibility in. The team agreed to run full cave protocol for all aspects of the search. Scott tied off the reel at the cut off area of the transom and we ventured into the bowels of the ship. At about minute 15 into the second dive, we reached the cold storage rooms and I waited in the air lock room while Scott explored first the starboard, then the port side rooms. The port side room ceiling had collapsed and getting into the room was like swimming into a lobster trap, with the sheet metal ceiling panels forming a funnel into the room. Scott found the diver about in the center of the room, vertically orientated with his head touching the deck. He made several wraps of line around the divers wrist and locked the line off. By this time the viz in the room had dropped to zero and Scott followed the guide line from the room and informed me of his discovery. We recalled the other two divers and made our ascent. It was agreed that once we located the diver, we would back off and let the RCMP dive team do the recovery, as they had protocols that needed to be followed.

We all made it back safely, which was the number one goal, all divers did their jobs and I for one am very proud of the team members.

I also feel it is necessary to remind folks that although these ships were sunk for "recreational" purposes, there are some areas in the ships that are absoulutly "no go" areas. Even with seriously experienced divers, having all the proper training and equipment, following the most extreme protocols, there are some places one just shouldnt go. These wrecks are slowly coming apart and the longer they are down there, the thicker the silt becomes, the more walls and ceilings cave in, and the more dangerous they become. I believe that diving more than one bulkhead away from the exit is reason to use a guideline. This is not your kids jungle gym.

PLEASE dive safe everyone, one search like this is enough for anyones lifetime.

I received the following PM from a scubaboard member and with his permission I am posting it here. I know I will be doing the same.
wedivebc:
S. starfish:
Hey Dave,

I was very sorry to hear about Daniel, while I never met him I know several people who were his friends and he sounds like he was a great guy.

I teach the PADI wreck specialty and was wondering if you would mind if I copied your accident report and incorporated it into the course. I'll change names of course. The PADI wreck materials don't really cut it when trying to drive actoss the point of how dangerous wreck diving can be.

-Brandon
Yes please do. May I post this PM on the board (your name removed if you like) as a good idea. I know I am looking at this tragedy as if nothing else a great lesson to all of us.

CCRDolphinDiver wrote:
"I also feel it is necessary to remind folks that although these ships were sunk for "recreational" purposes, there are some areas in the ships that are absoulutly "no go" areas. Even with seriously experienced divers, having all the proper training and equipment, following the most extreme protocols, there are some places one just shouldnt go. These wrecks are slowly coming apart and the longer they are down there, the thicker the silt becomes, the more walls and ceilings cave in, and the more dangerous they become. I believe that diving more than one bulkhead away from the exit is reason to use a guideline. This is not your kids jungle gym.

Thanks for putting this reminder in. As most of us know, but tend to forget...Ships do deteriorate. Rooms or passageways that were previously safe or benign become deteriorated and extremely dangerous. Thanks again.
Kirsten

WediveBC and CCRDolphinDiver, thanks for your work and detailed reports. This has been the most useful accident report I've read on this board. It really drives home the "dive to your training", "always run a reel" and the facts that wrecks deteriorate, they don't just sit there like museum pieces.

Candace, I can't imagine the strength it took to write your posts. They were eloquent and gave me a real sense of who Daniel was. My thoughts are with you all.

Thank you Dave and everyone else involved with the search and recovery.
The report(s) are invaluable to us all. I can't even begin to imagine the mixed emotions involved with the job of recovering a personal friend. Satisfaction and pride in being able to personally "help" that friend one final time and the literal helping of his family mixed with the extremely emotional and unpleasant task itself.

I and many others here have nothing but awe and respect for what you've accomplished and hope that helps to sustain you now and in the future. You are heroes in my book. Take care.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom