Diver missing on Cape Breton in Nanaimo 11/24/07

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diving Elf and Pusser. If you want to post insult emoticons have some respect for the sensitive nature of this topic and please do it on a PM.

As for details on this incident. It isn't necessary to know all of the details in order to discuss things to consider when in hypothetical situations similar to this incident. You can still discuss the benefits of running a line or using dual tanks for wreck dives without knowing what happened in this specific case.

Having people discuss the safety precautions to consider prior to attempting a wreck penetration can still take place. And doing so does not have to come off as criticisms to those involved in the incident.

What incidents like this do is make people rethink some of their diving practices and that is a good thing.

The only benefit of knowing everything that happened would be if the accident had occurred because of something we on this forum hadn't thought of. If this is the case maybe some time in the future we will find out more and learn more from it.

Diving Elf and Pusser. If you want to post insult emoticons please have some respect for the sensitive nature of this topic and do it on a PM.

I would like to echo that.

Diving Elf / Pusser: Show some respect and realize that this thread isn't about you or your little spat.

This is a forum for discussing accidents. That can be hard when you know the person involved, downright ugly if you were close to them.

For those closest to Dan, it may be a good idea to come back to this thread after some time and focus on the one in "Passings".

Candace, try and be strong and realize that whatever may be said on online forums is, most of the time, just useless noise. You may well be better off without reading this particular forum for a while.

Bjorn

As for details on this incident. It isn't necessary to know all of the details in order to discuss things to consider when in hypothetical situations similar to this incident.

Could the accident still have happened if they were using a line?

Are there times when a line fails? And if so how does that happen?

Quote:
If I should die while diving................
rant on: im sorry but for those that are left behind what a load of crapola...... i attended a memorial 2 weeks ago, they still havent found the divers body and doubt they ever will. ive seen his poor wife struggling to make some sense of it. like any sudden death only time can heal, if ever....

i would be very happy to read about the merits of better diving procedures and what can be learnt from accidents like this but dont expect me to sit here and smile and think 'he is in a better place' as im pretty sure his buddies are thinking right now his place is with them, at the pub having a beer. sorry - rant off

so, as someone that doesnt dive wrecks, isnt wreck certified and doesnt dive with a line - if you can see a wreck and see the entry and exit would you enter? im asking becasue i expect this to happen on our holiday in a few weeks time. in the past ive ALWAYS refused and often i am left outside the wreck while others enter, watching their bubbles as they progress

if this is the wrong place, please let me know and i will delete post - just trying to tie in the accident to some learning

ta

I see what you are saying Almity but then as others have said in other threads similar to this - if someone can learn and it can save a life or cause someone to think twice well....

There are many things to be learned andmany to be drilled home. I personally often think of the Spiegal Grove incident and the one on Mollases. They keep me constantly thinking.

As for the swim-throughs you speak of - yes I would enter but others wouldn't. It depends on the swim-through/my knowledge of it, etc. Either way, I am going to think first. There once was a time I never thought of rust falling from the ceiling...

so, as someone that doesnt dive wrecks, isnt wreck certified and doesnt dive with a line - if you can see a wreck and see the entry and exit would you enter? im asking becasue i expect this to happen on our holiday in a few weeks time. in the past ive ALWAYS refused and often i am left outside the wreck while others enter, watching their bubbles as they progress

Personally, I wouldn't recommend it.

However, I also think it would depend. I might if it was a huge wheel house, open on all three sides. And not at a depth where I would be worried about narcosis. Or a gangway which has another deck above (again, open on three sides).

In all seriousness, if you are truly interested, take a good wreck course. Which will probably involve deco training. And gear. And time. And money.

If you had a serious problem inside the "swim through" part of the wreck, could you solve it? Could your buddy? How easily could you turn around? Like a first stage failure. A lost weight belt. Getting caught on something rusty. Would they be able to get you out? Could you get them out? How much gas would you need to solve any of those problems? How sure are you in your answers and why are you so sure if you've never experienced it?

I think that asking question in a thread like this can be very useful. If it keeps one single person from going into a situation without asking some key questions and gets them to instead think long and hard and maybe find a safer way, then asking these questions can be the most important thing about a thread like this.

FWIW, I know both Daniel and Candace. We've been on some of the same trips together, Dan was a DM in some classes I've taken and we've had beers together too.
I think that it's hard to try and have a subjective and calm discussion. But I also think if it will make someone reevaluate their diving choices, then perhaps it's not all for nothing.

Bjorn

hi

I joined the scubaboard quite some time ago and everytime I come on here it hurts me to see how people discuss different situations...

I am a friend of this diver... he was one of the nicest people that I ever knew... to his girlfriend Candace who I have met once and to you Cheryl... also my friend... I am so very sorry for your loss...

one thing... to all of you that keep asking did they use a line or not... would it really make any difference to the outcome of this accident... Daniel is gone... his laugh will never be heard by those of you that did not know him... and will live forever in the memory of those that did...

move on... and lets all just dive our own dives... and let other do dive their dives...

Now... I do have a question as I have been out of the news loop for a few days... has he been found???

Now... I do have a question as I have been out of the news loop for a few days... has he been found???

Nope, you will probably get a phone call when he's found.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom