Diver missing on Cape Breton in Nanaimo 11/24/07

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm not sure it's even necessary for her to speak. Given the penchant on ScubaBoard for people to jump all over someone who makes even a perceived "mistake", I can't see that anything of value would come of discussing what may have led up to this accident.

I think most of us already know all we need to about this accident. Let the woman grieve, for God's sake. If mistakes were made, I have no doubt she's already aware of them ... and nobody else stands to gain anything constructive by discussing them on a public forum.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

this is the accidents+incidents forum.this is the place to discuss accidents.

i have read the newslinks and wedivebcs updates and they says these divers were in breton with no line.i am no expecting sharkcandy to tell us what happened so soon but i wonder why she says people are making crap up?

where they running line? if they were not running a line, wouldnt that be valuble to know?there is an important lesson for us there.

stop right there, this is the accidents+incidents forum.this is the place to discuss accidents.i have read the newslinks and wedivebcs updates and going on that it seems these divers were in breton with no line.there is an important lesson for us there.i am no expecting sharkcandy to tell us what happened so soon but i wonder why she says people are making crap up?

where they running line? if they were not running a line, wouldnt that be valuble to know?
What would you learn that you don't already know?

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

What would you learn that you don't already know?

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

if they had used a line and still had the accident i would worry what else went wrong.if they had noline, i know all i need to know.

where they running line? if they were not running a line, wouldnt that be valuble to know?there is an important lesson for us there.

That question has been answered, now move on.

That question has been answered, now move on.

Actually, respectfully, I do not believe that it has been answered for sure, first hand.

I understand some emotions are raw and Elf said he agreed and was happy to wait. That said, there is no need to beat up on him. Causing one to constantly think about these scenarios assist's in keeping some ever vigilant. Many a time, while diving, my mind has wandered back to these threads. They do have their usefulness - much can be learned in addition to serving as a reminder.

Elf said he agreed and was happy to wait. That said, there is no need to beat up on him.

At 2:14 pm elf agree to wait, at 2:56 asked the question again and 3:15 asked the question again.
Pretty good for someone who has 4 posts on scubaboard.

All in good time, divingelf. Don't be in such a hurry to pressure Candace for information when it's clear that feelings are still so raw. I'm sure she'll speak when she's ready.

"feelings still raw" heck, (if it was me) i couldnt imagine there would enough words in the world to explain how she would be feeling and im in awe of her posting here so soon.

but this is the "Accidents and Incidents: This forum is for the discussion of diving Accidents and Incidents" forum so if others can continue to discuss this horrible accident reasonably.... i hope to learn from it

cheers

At 2:14 pm elf agree to wait, at 2:56 asked the question again and 3:15 asked the question again.
Pretty good for someone who has 4 posts on scubaboard.

actually wedivebc, i was responding to post by nwgratefuldiver. that is what people do in forums, reply to posts.thanks 4 making me feel wellcome.

i know how sensitive everyones feeling, and thanks to missdirected and almitywife for understanding what i was trying to ask.i may not have asked it in the right way!!

I've been watching this thread develop. How terrible that we lost one of our own. I have also noticed the way other incidents have been discussed in this particular forum. The difference I see is that in this case, friends of the lost diver are active participants and are closing ranks around their lost friend. Sadly, the "we know what happened, you don't need to worry about it" attitude is not what this forum is about. As I read through these threads (this and all the others) I constantly refer to the thread pinned at the top of the forum.

Quote:
If I should die while diving.

If I should die while diving please do not hesitate to discuss the incident and assess every element with a view to furthering your understanding of how to enhance diver safety.

If I should die while diving get the facts. They won't be readily available and will definitely not be correct as reported by the media. But get the facts as best you can.

If I should die while diving understand, as I already do, that it will most likely involve fault on my part to some degree or another so do not hesitate to point that out.

If I should die while diving some of the fault will probably belong to my buddy and that needs to be honestly assessed as well though I must admit this is one area where I hope that compassion will be in the mix.

If I should die while diving there might be those who try to squelch discussion out of a misplaced notion of respect for the deceased, family and friends. They can say nice things about me at my funeral... but in the scuba community I want the incident discussed.

If I should die while diving at least I didn't die in bed.

I didn't know the lost diver, just what I've learned about him from his friends....
Where do you think he would stand?

I've been watching this thread devolop. How terrible that we lost one of our own. I have also noticed the way other incidents have been discussed in this particular forum. The difference I see is that in this case, friends of the lost diver are active participants and are closing ranks around their lost friend. Sadly, the "we know what happened, you don't need to worry about it" attitude is not what this forum is about. As I read through these threads (this and all the others) I constantly refer to the thread pinned at the top of the forum.

Quote:
If I should die while diving.

If I should die while diving please do not hesitate to discuss the incident and assess every element with a view to furthering your understanding of how to enhance diver safety.

If I should die while diving get the facts. They won't be readily available and will definitely not be correct as reported by the media. But get the facts as best you can.

If I should die while diving understand, as I already do, that it will most likely involve fault on my part to some degree or another so do not hesitate to point that out.

If I should die while diving some of the fault will probably belong to my buddy and that needs to be honestly assessed as well though I must admit this is one area where I hope that compassion will be in the mix.

If I should die while diving there might be those who try to squelch discussion out of a misplaced notion of respect for the deceased, family and friends. They can say nice things about me at my funeral... but in the scuba community I want the incident discussed.

If I should die while diving at least I didn't die in bed.

I didn't know the lost diver, just what I've learned about him from his friends....
Where do you think he would stand?

thanks bryanmc57 you say it so well

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom