Diver missing on Cape Breton in Nanaimo 11/24/07

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I could not agree more. I think we can extract the essentials and the lessons learned (even if they're old ones) without that, and my post was in answer to the question about whether a line would make any difference - and in my opinion it most definitely would have made a difference. I didn't see any question or "cross-examination" in my post, nor was any implication of such a thing intended.
Rick

Definitely not yours, Rick ... it was just a continuation of a thought from a previous entry ... FWIW, there are few people on this board who show as much class when it comes to discussing accidents as you do. That's one reason why I chose your entry to quote.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I strongly disagree with those who would close these discussions. While hard for those involved to read, they provide an educational resource that is an enormous benefit for the diving community. It's often the things you don't know that get you - not the risks you decide to accept.

An example. I don't do penetration dives, no interest in going in to caves on the surface let alone under water. However, in the wrong curcumstance I might be tempted as I am pretty comfortable under water and probably overconfident in my abilities. Without reading this board I might not have considered a silt out as a danger - nor would many inexperienced divers - it just doesn't enter in to your thinking until someone tells you, you read about it or experience it. After reading this board (not necessarily this particular thread) I am aware of the danger and am even less likely to swim into a wreck on the spur of the moment having read it.

If a diver reads that a very experienced diver died because he was lost in a silt out and that diver decides not to penetrate a wreck, to get the proper training, or apply the training and run a line then this particular discussion has served its purpose.

Speculation, arguement all add to everyone's understanding of the dangers of diving. I don't see these discussions as so much being critical of the divers involved as trying to figure out what went wrong so we don't repeat the mistake.

It is always going to sound like we are being critical of the divers involved, I trust that that is not the case for all posting. I doubt that there are many of us that have not taken risks that could easily have killed us - but we got away with it. Hard to be critical with that in mind.

Gotta, make it short,cabe season ends today. Got my eye on 30 lb er slacks here shortly.
Dar99 Divings dangerous, Mistakes have been repeated in diving for a hundred years it's unavoidable.
In my experience shallow depths are safest,The deeper you go the more danger the risk go.
Only you can make a decision to go back to to your safe zone. Yesterday at 189 my wife stirred up the bottom a little, what little wall that we found I left. Went up to the 160 wall that we found when I looked down I seen the murk easy decision time to go to safe zone and deco, although It would be just fine I never take a chance. so now Im going back there to shoot my cabezon. There's always a dive tommarrow.

"Divers allowed back to wreck
Man's body is still inside 'Cape Breton'

Paul Walton
Daily News

Friday, November 30, 2007

Police divers have suspended their search for a missing diver, but HMCS Cape Breton is now open for recreational diving - though the man's body is believed to still be in the hull.

Cpl. Greg Cox, spokesman for the Vancouver Island District RCMP, said the RCMP underwater recovery team had searched from the stern to the mid-section of the Cape Breton between Sunday and Wednesday, looking for diver Daniel Harrington of Vancouver. They are suspending the search until they can bring in fresh divers, possibly from the Navy. The Cape Breton is about 150 metres long, and sits in about 45 metres of water and is near Snake Island, west of Gabriola Island.

When Harrington went missing Saturday the Coast Guard boats and divers, the RCMP vessel Higgit and the search and rescue Cormorant helicopter from 442 Squadron in Comox searched the area until dark. The accident happened as Harrington was inside the wreck with his girlfriend, and she lost contact with him as he led the way through. She tried to find him, but had to surface because she was running out of air.

Police warn that while the public can dive the wreck, they may encounter the body. They are asking that no effort at recovery be made.

"Should Harrington be located, it is important not to remove him but to make note of the location and notify the RCMP immediately," said Cox.

The wreck, one of the largest in Canada, is immensely popular with divers, despite the danger.

"The depth combined with the serious entanglement issues, low ambient light and reduced visibility make this an extremely dangerous dive

for those without proper training," said Cox.

PWalton@nanaimodailynews.com

250-729-4230
© The Daily News (Nanaimo) 2007"

WOW! They opened the wreck back up without a recovery? Well at least now some able guys like Wedivebc and friends can get in there and hopefully bring some closure to this.

How very sad.

it almost seems like they're asking the recreational dive community to locate the body for them, without coming straight out and asking for it...

That's the impression I am left with also.

it almost seems like they're asking the recreational dive community to locate the body for them, without coming straight out and asking for it...
That could be both a blessing and a curse. The area has plenty of divers qualified to do just that ... unfortunately it also has plenty of unqualified divers who'd be willing to give it a try anyway ... :no

Hopefully common sense and good judgment will prevail ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

That could be both a blessing and a curse. The area has plenty of divers qualified to do just that ... unfortunately it also has plenty of unqualified divers who'd be willing to give it a try anyway ... :no

Hopefully common sense and good judgment will prevail ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

yeah, last thing we need is a double-fatality from inexperienced divers attempting to do a body search/recovery...

and i've been inside that wreck before and have experience with planned 60 minute bottom time dives at those kinds of depths, and i would not attempt a goal oriented dive to do a search with my experience...

While I normally lurk here, and just try to absorb all the good info flowing through these theards, I must say that news report is unreal!

That is so bizarre that they would open the dive site back up without achieving recovery. Even though it sounds like potnetially an invite for more experienced divers to finish the recovery operation, there is a certain liablily assumed by them by even releasing that report!

My condolences to the friends and family.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom