Diver pokes shark in eye, survives head chomp

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

An Australian abalone diver attacked by a shark on Tuesday told rescuers he was partly swallowed head first by the great white shark but fought his way free, suffering a broken nose and bite marks around his chest.

The 25-year-old diver said he was underwater off Cape Howe near Eden on Australia's southeast coast when the shark attacked.

"He stated that he was head-first into the shark," a spokeswoman for Snowy Hydro SouthCare rescue service told Reuters after airlifting the diver to hospital.

"When he came to us he was conscious and alert but had a broken nose and lacerations to both sides of his torso and chest -- bite marks all the way around," the spokeswoman said.

Reuters Pictures

"He believed it was a 9 foot (3 meter) white pointer. He said he fought it off," she said.

Attacks by Great White Sharks are usually fatal due to the massive size of the sharks, which breed in Australia's cold southern waters, and the sheer force of their bites.

Sharks, even Great Whites, are protected in Australia.

Australia has had a number of shark attacks in the past year. Continued...

http://today.reuters.com/news/artic...RUKOC_0_US-AUSTRALIA-SHARK.xml&src=rss&rpc=22

When I was a kid, I saw a guy put his head in a lion's mouth at the circus. Hmmm...I wonder if Sea World will have a new act this year.

I'm glad the water is so warm in South Florida. The big White One doesn't like the warmth!

Lehmann108:
I'm glad the water is so warm in South Florida. The big White One doesn't like the warmth!

It is just as likely to be a Bull, apparantly they are often confused - and you find them everywhere.

Thats incredible, good thing we dont taste too good to them I guess. Is it just me or does it seem as if there is a climbing rate to attacks right now??

First thing I saw on the news this morning !
Time to seek FRESH WATER !

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom