Diver pokes shark in eye, survives head chomp

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wow, what a lucky guy! I wonder how deep he was when this occurred, especially if he lost his mask and reg.

Australia just keeps moving further and further down my wish list of dive trips. :crossbone

I know that it's the "other" coast of Florida, but a Great White was just spotted in 13' of water off Tarpon Springs.

Lehmann108:
I'm glad the water is so warm in South Florida. The big White One doesn't like the warmth!

How do you do an airshare when a shark bites off your buddies head?? Geezuz!!!!!!

Cant make out enough details from the article but if this guy was just diving then he has my sympathy.

If he was fishing and head dead/dieing fish on him, he gets no sympathy off me.

leah:
Attacks by Great White Sharks are usually fatal due to the massive size of the sharks, which breed in Australia's cold southern waters, and the sheer force of their bites.

Hmmm... perhaps this is true in Australia, but my recollection of the statistics on great white sharks is that relatively few attacks are fatal, at least here in California.

Interesting that the attack occurred on the head rather than the more usual attack patterns of from below or behind. There was a free diver in northern California who had his head bitten off by a white. However, it is my understanding that such attacks are the exception.

Back
Top Bottom