Diver pokes shark in eye, survives head chomp

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wow, what a lucky guy! I wonder how deep he was when this occurred, especially if he lost his mask and reg.

This is actually at least the second case of someone surviving a white shark bite to the head. Years ago on Discovery Channels "Shark Week", I saw an interview with a spear fisherman in California who was taken headfirst by a Great White. He survived.

So whats the deal, is the human skull exceptionally strong?

I like this article on it.
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/01/23/world/main2387658.shtml
Mainly because of this quote:
""He was diving so we have to fly low to the ground, and there are mountains on the way to Canberra," Lowry said of the rescue, adding that when you dive, "you have got to a minimum of two hours adjusting ... it's decompression. The oxygen in your lungs need time to readjust or you get the bends." "

True, I guess diver could mean scuba or free.

It would appear after reading the story in a few other places he was free diving.

drbill:
Hmmm... perhaps this is true in Australia, but my recollection of the statistics on great white sharks is that relatively few attacks are fatal, at least here in California.

I agree. Fatal attacks from great whites are pretty rare in California. As I understand it, they tend to give one bite (although it's a big one) and decide it isn't tasty.

Also, someone once told me a theory that more surfers than divers get attacked in California because from below and sillouetted they tend to look like sea lions. Not sure if there is any merit to that, but one of the prominent researchers in the Farallon Islands uses cameras mounted on surfboards to study great white attacks.

mobeeno:
Was he on scuba or freediving?
That was my thought? Aren't abalone divers generall free divers?

And aren't all shark attacks done at the surface?

Oh, this is such bad PR for sharks, especially for us conservation wonks. Or, as Beth in the policy department said:

"Can someone please convene a meeting of the shark leaders? Make sure we get representation from the tiger and the great white guys. Please let them know that we are going to do all that we can to make sure they are not made into soup, but if they keep eating people, then we may not be able to change their image from man-eaters to important ocean predator who loves people."

I guess we'd better get damage control on this...

Walter:
Bulls love fresh water.

You can say that again....last I heard, as far north in the Mississippi as St. Louis!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom