Diver Training: How much is enough?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Since the issue of relying on dive guide-led dives in warm water tropical destinations keeps coming up, in this and other threads, it's worth a look at it.

I have a driver's license and am reasonably confident to operate a car in conditions comparable to or easier than those in which I have trained or gained experience over time.

But if in a major city, or simply in a new place I have no familiarity with (e.g.: cruise ship port stop on a Caribbean island), I'm happy to pay a guide to drive us around, show us the sights and bring us back to the ship.

On a charter boat op., I'm happy to pay a guide to lead us around the reef and show us the sights, without the distracting hassle of navigation and the likelihood of missing some sights the guide (who knows the site) can point out.

But I don't require a guide shore diving the west coast sites in Bonaire.

Not every diver aspires to independently navigate open ocean dives. Doesn't necessarily make them bad divers. Limited in a way, but if that's how they choose to dive, so be it.

Richard.

But if in a major city, or simply in a new place I have no familiarity with (e.g.: cruise ship port stop on a Caribbean island), I'm happy to pay a guide to drive us around, show us the sights and bring us back to the ship.

Good point. My wife and I are pretty good drivers with a lot of experience. We drove in Rome for about 10 minutes before turning around, going back to the hotel, and relying on taxis for the rest of the trip.

I am having a hard time following all this. The standards have been set by the agency's. The agency's crank out instructors. If the minimum standards as set forth by the agencies instructor have been met, It is not the instructors obligation to ensure that the student progresses anywhere beyond snorkel 101 unless they choose to do so. It is the students mis interpretation of the minimum standard that leads people into all sorts of trouble. when trouble comes, so does injury. At what point does the instructor cut the cord in todays progressive education model?
Eric

My agency uses what we call the "Loved One Standard". At the end of the class I ask myself if I would trust this person (student) to buddy up with someone I love. If I can't honestly answer yes, then they didn't meet the standards of my agency.

There is a great deal of subjectivity in standards. As an example, mask clearing. All agencies require it as a basic skill. But all agencies all use the term "mastery". So what does that mean? Is clearing a mask once, while kneeling on the bottom, "mastery"? Is it mastery if a student struggles ... but ultimately manages to get the water out ... while the instructor is hovering inches from them, perhaps even with a hand on their shoulder to ensure that they don't panic and bolt during the exercise?

No ... it is not.

If a student cannot clear a mask easily and effortlessly ... without assistance or coaching ... without looking like they are right on the verge of panic ... then they have not "mastered" the skill, regardless of whether or not they managed to get all the water out. Among other things, students who are uncomfortable clearing their mask will certainly not attempt to practice the skill again once class is over ... and are likely, in a situation where they don't have the reassurance of an instructor in their presence, to panic and bolt if they find themselves in a scenario where they might have to.

Simply clearing the mask doesn't meet standards ... although a lot of instructors would call it good, check it off the list, and move on.

This is why a lot of divers feel like they need supervision ... because even though the completed their skills, they didn't "master" them. And in the process, they didn't really meet standards ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

... Just out of curiosity the 12-20 dives to get certified to 30' with a like buddy, where does that fit in with boat diving at sites where bottom depth is say 100 ft'. Should they be there or not.
In the scientific diving community we tend to restrict Blue Water Diving (open ocean, no bottom to speak of) to divers who hold a 60' card (meaning that if there were a 100 foot diver serving as pivot diver they'd be "legal" to 100 feet. It is really a question of buoyancy control and basic diving skills.
BCDC wrote
BCDC, are you saying that, for example, a diver that can reliably, comfortably and repeatedly demonstrate the various diving skills where you are teaching "may be unfit to dive" where you are teaching?

At least in "PADI Land" the skills needed to be "mastered" are (in part):

1. Mask clearing/mask remove/replace;
2. Air sharing ascent;
3. Hovering/buoyancy control;
4. CESA;
5. Simple surface and underwater compass navigation (out/back);
6. Simple surface rescue skills (tows, cramping, snorkel use/control);
7. Descend and ascend under control at a set rate;
8. Plan the dive, do weight and buddy checks.

These "skills" must be demonstrated in a comfortable, reliable and repeatable manner in Open Water and if they are done in the local conditions, why isn't that student capable of doing a simple open water dive?
Why?

Because of the linear thinking that is part and parcel of such lists.

The issue is not a question of whether the diver can perform each of the eight listed skills, "in a comfortable, reliable and repeatable manner." The real world issue relates more to the problems represented by the interactive terms of skills when they must be performed simultaneously. The ability to, say, clear a mask has little to do with the problem faced by a diver who must clear a mask whilst controlling buoyancy, whilst sharing air, during an emergency ascent. "Mastery" of skills (even using PADI's Orwellian re-definition of the term) does not translate to the "mastery" required for coincident application of multiple skills.
For any instructors out there following this thread, in your opinions, how many times on average does a typical student need to do the above to "master" them? (Of course I know the word "master" may not be clearly defined.) For example, do you ask a student to do one mask remove/replace/clear? Three times? Five times?

I'm not sure how many times one needs to do something to master it but I read somewhere on one of these threads that on average, a person would need to do something 15 or so times to truly master it. That may or may not be true but I would think most folks would agree that to "master" something you would need to demonstrate it more than once. Are there any instructors out there that ask their students to do any of these skills at least 3 -5 times?
There are simple skills that might require no repetitions, that a simple explanation might be sufficient, there are others that might require a large number of repetitions. The only work I know of that directly addresses the question suggests that on the order of 20 repetitions are needed to be able to have 95% confidence that the next repetition will be accomplished perfectly.
I believe you are referring to the Egstorm study that buddy breathing had to be done successfully 17-21 times to be considered mastered. Others have argued that he was actually referring to any complex task, but that is not how I read it originally. Some people have used that study as saying that many repetitions are needed for ANY task to be learned, and that is simply not true.

The number of times a task needs to be performed for mastery depends upon the difficulty of the task and the natural ability of the student. Purging a regulator certainly does not take 15 tries for anyone. Clearing the mask is simple for some but more difficult for others. When I took my first scuba lesson, I cleared my mask easily the first time I tried it and never had a problem with it after that. Others take a lot longer.

There is no way a number can be put on it. You simply keep at it until you are satisfied the student has it done well enough to be able to do it successfully whenever it is needed. If the student struggles with mask clearing and finally gets it done with some effort, then the student is not there yet and needs more repetitions.
Point of Information (maybe just typo?) That's: "Egstrom."

Anyway, Glen was using buddy breathing as a "place holder" for any moderately complex task, and his criteria for a "success" was somewhat arbitrary also, but the point was made: just doing something once, twice or even three times is no guarantee.
Perhaps it is time to drop the phrase "master" or "mastery" if that is indeed how PADI or any other agency describes what level a student is to obtain in the OW class.
Long past time, it should never have been used in the first place.
I believe the 17-21 is true. It has to be tempered in so far as it takes 17-21 with no prior exposure to the skill. for instance mask clearing. a student may have been a snorkler prior to taking the ow class. the finning and mask clearing process of 17-21 has already been done. The student demonstrates it once and is passed on the skill for having demonstraitng the required minimum level of proficiency.
Again, we are confusing a "skill" with an "exercise" (a combination of skills). I am not sure exactly how mastery of a skill translate to success at an exercise. There must be some relationship, but quantifying it has not, as far as I know, been done. At the limits, a single skill should be fairly easy, but it is possible to combine a sufficient number such simple skills into an exercise that even if all the individual skills were to be mastered, the diver would still fail at the exercise. Real world performance will, of course, lie somewhere in between.
Since there has been some question about what Mastery of a skill is under the PADI system, here is their definition~

During confined and open water dives, mastery is defined as performing the skill so it meets the stated performance requirements in a reasonably comfortable, fluid, repeatable manner as would be expected of a diver at that certification level.
Commiting such violence upon the English languge disturbs me, both as a diving instructor and as an English speaker.
Here are the PADI standards:
In confined water dive #1, the diver is supposed to clear a partially flooded mask.

In confined water dive #2, the diver is supposed to remove and replace a mask underwater.

In confined water dive #4, the diver is supposed to swim without a mask for at least 50 feet and then replace it.

In open water dive #2, the diver is supposed to clear a partially flooded mask.

In open water dive #2, the diver is supposed to clear a fully flooded mask.

In open water dive #3, the diver is supposed to clear a fully flooded mask again.

In open water dive #4, the diver is supposed to remove and replace the mask.

Thus, a student who shows full mastery from the start--and many do--must clear a mask a minimum of 7 times in PADI training. A student who is having trouble will do it many more times than that.

If you only did it two times, then your class constituted a gross violation of standards, and you should do the scuba industry a favor and report that instructor immediately.
That is true, but needs to be conceptually extended a bit. There are many opportunities to develop the mask clearing skill to a point of "mastery" but that is no assurance that a diver will be able to deal with a flooded mask while sharing air, etc.
I was actually thinking of the remove/replace/clear task as I described in my post. So it looks like you only are required to do that three times according to your schedule. I may have very well done it three times so I'll hold off reporting my instructor. Now I know for sure we only did one vertical emergency accent. How many times do you have your students do that? Just curious.
Since, in the end, we combine a scuba doff and don with buddy breathing and a buoyant ascent I would not be surprised if most students clocked fifty to a hundred (or even more) repetitions of the skills (mask remove and replace, weight belt remove and replace, surface dive, buddy breathe, rig removal and replace, buoyant ascent, hand signals, etc.) in various combinations and permutations.
You are required to do act as both receiver and donor in making the exchange 3 times in CW and OW, for a total of 6 exchanges. In the pool you simulate an ascent by swimming together for a minute following 2 exchanges, one as donor and one as a receiver. In the OW exercise, you have two exchanges, and you ascend once.
I'd say that's too few, I suspect that Glen would agree.
What’s being overlooked is that the demographic of the WWW customer has changed: today, there’s a far more frequent expectation that there is going to be an in-water DM to supervise them on every dive. Why? That's up for discussion. It wasn't always this way, and if we want to put the 'macho' label on those divers who are confident and capable of diving unsupervised (and aren't looking for the DM), what we are really saying through our choice of language is that the "New Normal" is now being defined as a dependent diver, because those that now the ones who aren't get an anomalous/negative descriptive label (such as 'wimp').
While the demographic may change, the ocean does not, nor does human anatomy and physiology. Supervision can be traded off against skill and knowledge, to a degree, but the reality of that trade off has not been acknowledged by any of the training agencies.
IMO, the 'local conditions' statement is purposefully vague, since if the Agencies were to clearly articulate what this means in detail, then the Agencies would "own" it and be legally liable if it were found to be deficient. By mentioning it (as ambiguous as it is), they pin this rose on the individual instructor to figure out ... and incur the resultant legal liability thereof. Thanks, buddy! And this isn't doing the instructor a favor at all, since it adds to his fundamental conflict of interest: he is motivated by financial realities of business to minimize his costs (cost of training), yet here he has been given a requirement with no clear minimum standard to defend himself with.
They also don't want to spell it out for fear of losing a competitive position. Can you imagine trying to market a, "I'm not really a diver, I need a nanny" certification? Even if it is the case?
Where WWW enters into this is twofold. First, the Agencies can use that benign environment as the demonstration baseline for just how "minimal" a course can be, and all of the additional issues/expenses of local environments elsewhere get a hand-waive dismissal as a "local problem". Second, the instructors in these WWW environments are unlikely to get a prompt reality check on just how well the student candidates really were prepared. As such, their graduates are out the door and get 20+ WWW dives under their belt, which makes any future liability lawsuit more challenging to find fault with the original instruction's adequacy.
That, and the fact that few instructors have any idea of how may of their students (especially in the case of O/W referrals) get the crap scared out of them and stop diving.
Very little "may" in that: the warmwater diver will be unprepared and they'll have additional stressors from the introduction of new/different work taskloading elements. This is the consequence of where the standards are currently set, since all of coldwater (no matter how mild) now falls under the 'local conditions' loophole and not identified as a necessary part of a standard training class.
Very little "may."
YMMV, but that sounds like an admission that the 'plan' is to rely on luck.
True, true.
Don't need to think about it: perhaps you'll still recall my comment from one of the lost posts: an experienced WWW diver incurred uncontrolled ascents on 2 of 3 dives in one day because they changed to wearing heavier thermal protection (a single piece 5mm) than what they were used to, which resulted in larger buoyancy changes from wetsuit compression.
Maintaining good buoyancy control, with a thick suit, is, IMHO, a "complex skill." That throws the question back into the 20 more repetitions, with an open question of what a "repetition" is. I'd suggest, from years of observation, that a "repetition" is likely the same thing as standards define as a "dive."
DCBC -- to return to your case. Remember, YOU are the instructor who is teaching in YOUR local waters and having the basic open water student demonstrate those items I listed (which as I stated is NOT an exhaustive list within "PADI Land").
I suggest that what needs to be added, for the North Atlantic coast of Canada and the NorCal coast, is more than what might be reasonably described as an "enhancement" or "embellishment."
It is true that sub-surface diver recovery is listed but it is also true that no one, not even Thal, has stated such a "skill" is actually relevant to the basic open water diver. You've even stated that in your vast experience, you've only been involved in 3 (count them 3) such situations and at least one of them was during a technical dive (you, as I recall, stated you were on a 'breather). Come on, this IS basic open water training for crying out loud.
So now we're at five cases that DCBC and I can (alone) cite. But even so I don't see that the value of a submerged diver rescue exercise is in preparing the student to rescue a diver in such a situation, the odds are against an encounter requiring such a response, the value is the practice of applying a large suite of skills to a task and in the fact that it relieves a concern that many students raise.
You state that what was omitted was "strong watermanship" -- but what IS "strong watermanship?" In your local circumstances, would not doing all of the various surface skills "comfortably, reliably and repeatedly in the manner of an open water diver" show "strong watermanship?" If not, what more is needed?
Again, the issue is less the performance of the individual skills and more in demonstrating the ease and comfort required to perform a number of such skills together in a rough and challenging environment.

I ask again, IF the student can do all of the a fore mentioned skills, reliably, comfortably and repeatedly while in conditions that consist of "Rocky shoreline, surf, currents, waves, at times poor visibility, very cold water (often 29-34 degree F) and the largest tidal exchanges on the planet." wouldn't that person be OK to go diving in those same or better conditions?
No.
Interesting misconception. What do you base this on? Here in the Keys, only a few charters provide free in water "guides". They aren't even considered DMs either, just guides. There are a few resort destinations that require a guide, but they are supposed to be keeping their reefs safe. In reality, it's more of a ruse to keep unemployment down for the locals.
Then things have radically changed in the decade since I left there.
It's hard to believe that a diver of your experience and credentials with the position you hold would resort to ordinary PADI bashing... or are you no longer the CEO of CMAS Canada and feel that it's right to go back to PADI bashing again? That game is for children, Wayne. Seriously.
I guess "bashing" must be in the eye of the beholder, I did not see any, but then I'm not feeling defensive about the issue either.
Yes, what Wayne says here is true, PADI instructors are somewhat restricted in the material that they can add to the course. PADI chose to approach their method like this to stop old school instructors from doing whatever they felt like doing and issuing a PADI cert for it. In the late 1960's when the system was developed this was probably a relevant and reasonable thing to do. It has it's down side though.
That is the oft repeated party line, too bad that it's simply not true.
The downside is that PADI instructors can't add just anything to their course. For example, they would consider it "over teaching" to put body recovery (i.e., sub surface non-responsive diver lift) into the OW course. It's in the rescue course and PADI's opinion, even if not shared by the instructor, is that this is where it belongs. You can like it or you can not like it, but that's where it is. If you are a PADI instructor, you have to accept this
The addition of most any exercise (e.g., combination of skills) would get you into the question of "over teaching." You guys continue to argue over the fine points and the details, and that is not really relevant. The point is that PADI attempts to restrict what may be added to a course and other agencies, like NAUI, do not. There are many arguments that can be made as to how and why this is the case, but that does not change the facts ... it is the case.
What Wayne does NOT tell you in his posts is that PADI instructors have a lot more leeway than you might think. His PADI bash revolves around trying to get people to believe that a PADI instructor is FORCED to teach to MINIMUM standards. This simply isn't true. We've told him this a million times but he doesn't believe it and he keeps trying to pull the proverbial wool over people's eyes.
You're splitting hairs. From where I sit the tiny bit of maneuver room permitted by PADI, when compared to the almost carte blanche afforded by other agencies, is rather insufficient, especially when it comes to the use of non-PADI promulgated exercises and the reordering of skills and exercises. I've often wondered what it is that PADI knows about their instructor cadre that leads them to display such a lack of trust.

Last edited:
DCBC:
I see your point, but would this not be somewhat analogous to requiring First Aid & CPR as a condition to receive a driver's license? Or even EMT training, to take the analogy further? I'd think a car driver is more apt to encounter (and perhaps be involved in) a wreck, and lacerations (with some small chance of encountering a cardiac arrest) over the course of a driving career than the large majority of recreational divers are to be in a position to successfully recover alive an unconscious diver from depth. And we might applaud a driver who sought such training, but we don't require it.
The analogy is a poor one. First Aid & CPR teach you nothing about operating a vehicle better, though they better equip you to deal with the results of poor vehicle operation. However, recovering an unconscious diver from depth provides an opportunity for teaching/using a large suite of skills in a new and different fashion.
Another question; how paternalistic should scuba instruction be? This question also comes up in other professions, such as the medical field (principles of beneficence vs. autonomy). Put another way, do you see yourself as an instructor having a responsibility to:

1.) Certify students to basic mainstream OW standards, and assume they should have the good sense not to enter conditions significantly more harsh than they were trained in.
You are making the possibly erroneous assumption that "mainstream OW standards" are adequate.
2.) Certify students as above, but add class content/lecture material to drive home the dangers of more adverse conditions and discuss examples and how to identify such conditions. In other words, make sure they know how limited they are. I believe Jim Lapenta (if memory serves) has expressed frustration with rec. diving being marketed as 'safe' without adequate disclosure of how readily it can kill.
That is an ethical question more than an operational one. I agree with Jim.
3.) As 2.), but additionally at least offer to provide 'non-agency-mandated training' to teach students to handle harsher conditions (such as your local conditions), but don't require it for certification.
You are making the possibly erroneous assumption that "mainstream OW standards" are adequate, rather an unproven thesis, the questioning of which is the basic issue at hand.
4.) Certify students only who have demonstrated a higher standard of ability, sufficient to dive with a reasonable margin of safety, in your suboptimal local conditions (even though some of your students may only be vacation divers).
Again, you are making the possibly erroneous assumption that "mainstream OW standards" are adequate, even just for vacation divers without mandated supervision.
I'm sensing a number of instructors here tend towards 2.) or 3.), turning out an informed diver with a basic skill set, perhaps with additional training by the instructor added, producing a diver who may or may not be ready for harsh local conditions but at least the diver was taught that and can now make informed decisions about what risks he/she chooses to take.
There is also the view, that I hold, that current minimum standards are inadequate except to produce a "supervised warm water vacation diver." Everyone here that has expressed themselves, finds a way, one way or another, with one rationale or another, to add to their course. I suggest that that this provides, at least in a de facto fashion, significant evidence addressing the depauperate nature of current standards. A more fruitful approach might be to stipulate to that and look for what commonality there is in the additions, rather than endlessly debate if certain skills constitute a revision, an addition, an enhancement or an embellishment. We are waiting way too much time on semantics and missing the target as a result.
Thanks Rob.

And while I shouldn't respond to DCBC, I have nothing better to do so why not?

a. Remember, we are discussing Basic Open Water Training here which means the student is told to limit his dive to NDL limits and no greater depth than 18 metres/60 feet. OK, IF that is the case, then is doing a chamber ride to "X" depth to really understand narcosis something that is normal? I mean, honestly, really? Hell, even in my private pilot training where I first was allowed to solo, then got my private pilot's license, then my IFR ticket and started on my twin ticket NO ONE suggested I do a high altitude chamber ride. C'mon, there must be some reasonable limit for a basic open water course.
A specious comparison, made I suspect, by someone who has never made a chamber run. I have never missed a chance to take students on one since I know that sitting at sixty feet in your shirtsleeves is the best way to drive home the effects of narcosis. Sitting at 165 is a great way to definitively answer the debate as to when a diver might be ready for deeper diving on air.
b. Yes, basic open water students are taught about arterial gas embolisms. Gee, I wonder why? Is it because AGE is a real issue that can occur to any person breathing compressed gas under water and is one of the major causes of scuba diving deaths? Do you really think that body recovery is as relevant to every diver as the possibility of AGE?
You are missing the forest for the trees, but isn't that what lawyers are trained to try to make people do? Please stop oversimplifying just to try and score solely semantic points.
c. DCBC, will you please explain to me, for obviously I'm just a simple person, how one of your students would be reliably able to plan his air consumption rate on his very first open water dive other than by doing it as a wild-a$$ guess? In my limited experience, many of my students have pretty wide swings in their consumption rates on their first few dives -- which is what I would expect.
Your are far from a simple person, you just are oversimplifying the questions. What you do (and you know this) is that you provide "correction factors" to the SAC rates that the students calculated from each and every pool session. While not perfect, that's where you start.
Interestingly, you absolutely refused to answer the question that was asked: If one of your students could reliably, comfortably and repeatedly do all those "skills" in your local conditions, would that student be reasonably capable of planning and executing an NDL dive with a maximum depth of 18 metres/60 feet?
Perhaps, but mastery of the individual skills is no guarantee.
For those who do not know the history, several years ago Wayne deluged ScubaBoard with PADI-bashing. He started many threads in many forums that began pretty much the same way this one did. He also placed individual posts on this topic in many other threads, some of which had little or nothing to do with the overall theme at all. Then he got his CMAS position and the practice stopped, I suspect because CMAS let him know that it is quite unseemly for an administrator in one agency to be constantly bashing the practices of another. My suspicions about this are supported by the fact that soon after he left that position after a pretty short tenure (don't know why), he was back here with the bashing practices renewed.
John, even if what you say were fact, and I think it is not, it is still naught but an ad hominum that sheds no light on the issues and only serves to "poison the well."
As far as the misinformation that Diver0001 corrected in his post is concerned, it cannot be an error or a disbelief. Wayne has repeated that deceptive misstatement many, many times over the years, and he has been corrected by knowledgeable people many, many times. When he repeated it a few months ago in another thread, I gave this same history and described his modus operandi: he repeats the misinformation and dwells upon it until he is corrected. Then he waits a few weeks or a month and either starts a new thread in a new forum or posts in someone else's thread, repeating the same false statements on which he has been corrected repeatedly, apparently hoping a new audience will give him a few more people to fool.
No ... it is a question of perspective. What you see as providing sufficient freedom to properly (as you perceive it) train a diver in Colorado (most likely to be a vacation diver) is not perceived as sufficient academic freedom by either DCBC, or by me, with respect to training divers, regardless of the tasks, to dive at an acceptable level of risk.

We are also likely to be more risk adverse than you are, having been specifically employed as risk managers charged with exercising instruction as but one of many risk management tools. We have spent our careers doing this, without many of the constraints and limitations of shops and agencies. We operated in concert and close consultation with colleagues who had similar responsibilities and interests, with whom we often shared thoughts, approaches, exercises, etc. What we have learned and experienced has resulted in a rather justified jaundiced view of agencies in general and of agency standards in specifically, and of PADI in particular. While I am not a believer in either ad hominums or appeals to authority, I would recommend that you consider where we are coming from and what has lead us to hold the views that we do.
He has tremendous dedication to this--the situation in which he left PADI nearly a quarter century ago over a dispute that is no longer relevant (since PADI changed its instructional philosophy soon after that) must have been traumatic. For those of us who are not so obsessive, having to come into threads like this and correct him over and over and over again is down-right bone wearying.
[/QUOTE]BCDC related a single incident as illustrative of a larger problem. I do not doubt his veracity, nor do I deny your more current analysis. But the point still stands, if you were to chart the agencies on a continuum that ran from highly repressive and authoritarian at one end of the scale to respecting academic freedom on the other, PADI would be placed well to the authoritarian and repressive side of where you'd chart NAUI or CMAS.

Nobody in Europe would want, or dare, to take a newly certified OW diver on the North Sea because of the risks. Nobody in Europe would contend that an OW diver should be trained to that bar right out of the gate. No open water diver here sees it as the goal of their entry level training to prepare them for these (admittedly serious) dives. Everyone here agrees that diving on the North sea can be done safely given an appropriate level of training and experience and everyone here agrees that getting that training and experience is a matter of getting out there, making the necessary dives in safer, more benign, waters and getting the appropriate follow-up training.
I can not speak for Europe, but newly certified OW divers are routinely expected to dive in the Canadian Maritimes and and Northern California coast, which I find hard to believe are any less challenging.
If they have no choice, I would agree. The difference in opinion that we have then would be in whether or not it should all be in the OW course. The option that a PADI instructor in your area would have--if there were no other choice but to dive in the North Atlantic--would be to combine OW, AOW and rescue into one course.

Do you really not have any other options for inexperienced divers? That would honestly suck .... but what about the gazillion lakes you have nearby?

R..
Yes, there are any number of alternatives that exist without going to what I do. Might I recommend to any and all who are interested the wholly recreational programs run by Ken Skitt in Rhode Island.
... For a lot of divers, that "real world" is the only one they know.
How true, how true ... for a lot of instructors too.

Last edited:
Bob,
I think we are beating the same horse from different ends. We both admit that the interpretation of todays standards by the majority of todays instructors leaves alot to be desired. That is why I put the burden on the student, not the instructor. The agency's are the only ones who can clean up their own messes/business model, and they IMHO will never get there. which is why we continue to see basic OW graduates who should not be snorkeling unsupervised.

That is why I advocate the mentorship/ or club approach to bring students along in a responsible manner after they get started, but most will not. Darwin at work I'm afraid.
Eric

One step at a time, Pete:
It was one step. Like I pointed out, new divers don't need a guide. I have never been asked to guide anyone who was an "active" or simply new diver.

I merely observed that the 'new normal'
That's not an "observation" but a conclusion. You have yet to show that this is the new "normal". New marketing techniques will be tried out, but that does not make them routine for every dive shop. Perhaps you should consider taking your own advice and take one step at a time.

Well then, since you've moved on to the classical fallback of denial of culpability, I'll assume that you're no longer denying my so-called "misperception".
It would be better if you jumped to the right conclusion at least once in a while. Why do the Keys have this guide policy in the first place? There really weren't that many injuries, but we do have many under-employed instructors and Dive Masters down here. Dive shops like to have them around when it's busy season, and it helps to keep them busy when there aren't as many students.

Again, the world is bigger than just the FL Keys. For example, the diver quoted in my last post said they had 20 dives experience, yet nevertheless chose to hire a guide in Cozumel ... and was looking for another one for their next trip to Grand Cayman.
So, one diver makes things "normal"??? While we are all dealing with anecdotal evidence, a single instance does not indicate a trend.

And can this guide also conduct one of those refreshers you mentioned?
Not and be within standards. A certified diver is a certified diver and anyone can mentor or guide another diver. However, to be covered by insurance, you need to meet your agency's requirements for doing a refresher.

Good point. My wife and I are pretty good drivers with a lot of experience. We drove in Rome for about 10 minutes before turning around, going back to the hotel, and relying on taxis for the rest of the trip.

Driving in Rome is nightmarish (and Paris is a close second). It's to the motorist what diving in the North Atlantic must be to the diver. My wife and I are both good drivers with a lot of experience too but it takes both of us, one driving and one navigating, to get around Rome without crashing horribly. Fortunately for us, we work well together while "tandem driving".

R..

I have to agree with water pirate. The story hits the nail on the head. as guns go i have more of a chance of survivning a long term shooter than a beginner because the long time shooter will shoot once and drop me the beginner will empty the clip into me. It is too easy for those of us who cant remember what ow was like to judge beginners using ourselves as a standard. Our views of our selves make it impossible for anyone to stack up to us. This brings us full circle is some respects to. the OW ticket is a lcense to learn/experience what was taught in water that has teh greatest degree of forgivemess. You learn to breath and relax, you improvve your sac, you get a greatly improved control of your bouyancy. you experience all the things the ow instructor warnned you about, you learn to pay attention and take a eladership role rather thatn a just along for the ride attitude. all the mindset and prereqs to start an aow course. The ones that do not practice what they learned are the ones that loose tanks, have air problems, panic easily, in short the whole gammet of the things that are complained about by the more experienced of us. We the more experience can not fix it by mentoring alone, or course redesign alone. or teaching beyond the course objectives alone. there is a part of the learning process that requires practice and doing things at your own pace. This part of learning can not be passed over. some need but a dozen dives to move on and others need a lot more time. AL we can do is recognize when someone is out of thier element or not. We all know of those that we would not hessitate to go to 100' with after completing OW and there are those who should be limited to a pool invironment for the first 10 dives. We are the ones that have to do that because they (new OW"S) can not. The differences in them are not necessarily related to the instruction or curriculum. If your heart is not in it, you do not improve. It should be no wonder why a gf and bf tank a class ond one excells while the other barely passes. How is it that a family, mom,dad,and 2 kids all get the deep seeded desire to learn scuba before departing on vacation. In my opinion It does not happen. One of them is good, an other so-so, and the other 2 are mentally in the mall. No amount of 1 on 1 can fix a lack of motivation.

I hate to ask what the minimum requirements were considering the last phrase of your opening statement...not be allowed to carry a sling shot unsupervised.

Back
Top Bottom