Diver who looked for Caylee sues Casey Anthony

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wasn't this guy mentioned on here a couple of years ago for ripping some people off on purchases they made? The name sounds familiar.

Personally, I think everyone involved in the search should file a class action suit. They were people who voluntarily donated their time, money and other resources to try to locate a child. The mother knowingly gave them false information that they relied on. If they had known the truth, they could have stayed home and would not have expended the time, effort and money. Since the search was based on fraud, it is only right that the person who perpetrated the fraud bear the cost.

I'm sorry, when you volunteer, you do so without regard for your time, money spent, or motive. Volunteerism is not about finding a lost child, it is about feeling good about yourself and making a difference. That feeling comes from inside, not from external influences, unless the volunteering is done from the point of ego. So what if he dove in gator-infested water, he did it to make himself feel better. If there is a feeling of betrayal there, well, I guess that comes from inside too. Get over it, Bud. Anyone who volunteers with the expectation of fame, glory or reimbursement needs to stay home on the couch.

If i'm volunteering my time and energy to search for someone, to find out it's a big lie and that person is a murdering liar i'd sue as well.
Every single person who searched should sue her and make her less comfortable in life.
Casey killed that child; i'm stunned that so many reasonable people have had their ability to clearly think skewed by court tv and what lawyers tell us is "reasonable doubt".

I'm sorry, when you volunteer, you do so without regard for your time, money spent, or motive. Volunteerism is not about finding a lost child, it is about feeling good about yourself and making a difference. That feeling comes from inside, not from external influences, unless the volunteering is done from the point of ego. So what if he dove in gator-infested water, he did it to make himself feel better. If there is a feeling of betrayal there, well, I guess that comes from inside too. Get over it, Bud. Anyone who volunteers with the expectation of fame, glory or reimbursement needs to stay home on the couch.

I disagree with you on this one Captain. Some causes pull on the heart strings a lot more than others and bring out people who may not have helped otherwise. Missing children are certainly one of those causes that elicit more support than others. Sometimes volunteering IS about finding a lost child, not your ego.

When people get duped, it is unfortunate that they were taken advantage of and that they may not trust a cause again and others may second guess the validity of causes as well. There may not be an expectation of fame, glory or reimbursement - but an expectation of truth, not a wild goose chase in which the outcome was already known.

If i'm volunteering my time and energy to search for someone, to find out it's a big lie and that person is a murdering liar i'd sue as well.
Every single person who searched should sue her and make her less comfortable in life.
Casey killed that child; i'm stunned that so many reasonable people have had their ability to clearly think skewed by court tv and what lawyers tell us is "reasonable doubt".

Just a few thoughts. First, this was the largest single trial in US history. There were some 6 million pages of discovery. The trial lasted, what, a couple of months? And none of us, except the participants, were privy to all that went on. Those who think she is guilty have the same exposure to court tv and lawyers tell you. When it comes down to reasonable doubt, juries almost always, in my experience, get it right.

Second, as far as suing, I'm curious. I'm not admitted to practice in Florida, but generally, tort law requires that the defendant have a duty to the plaintiff. Now I suppose an enterprising lawyer could claim that Anthony had a duty to future volunteers not to put them out. I don't see how that could fly, considering there is often a condition of reasonableness. The plaintiff who have to prove that Anthony had a duty to somebody she didn't even know, and that it was reasonable to impose that duty towards an unknown party. But if that lawyer were successful, and if Anthony lost, imagine what that would do to the future of volunteering, and the future of someone asking for help. I think it's a bad idea to sue here, and bad public policy to let it go forward.

I'm from across the pond so my experience of the US system is limited, however I am generally pro 'civilian' support and volunteers in situations such as missing children, and have been involved in quite a few similar situations in the UK (I was a policeman for 30 years). Equally I am generally not usually too supportive of the culture of suing and taking court cases for evry minor oversight or mistake.

But for me the critical question here is did the mother deliberately mislead the people looking for the child. If she did, and as a result people acting in good faith lost out and incurred unecessary costs then I actually think it entirely reasonable to expect her to cough up for this, or have a judgement against any future earnings etc.

She did not need to deliberately lie - and if she did her deliberate lies cost good people, who were trying to help, their hard earned and willingly volunteered time and money completely unecessarily.

It would seem that if she entered a different version at her trial then she is admitting she lied earlier.

I will always help in this sort of situation, but I will be mighty pi**ed if I give up my time and money to try to help and the person I was trying to help was deliberatley providing false information. Would I personally sue? probably not, would I support a class action - hell yes !

I believe that any public spirited person should volunter their help, but if they do they have a reasonabke expectation not be be mislead. Phil

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom