Diver who looked for Caylee sues Casey Anthony

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I followed the Casey Anthony trial by video and in print, and it seemed to me that the only reason they could not convict her was because she provided an alternate theory that could not be disproved (yet) - her father did it - or so she says. Discrediting her father shifted just enough focus away from her to not meet the burden of proof in the jury's opinion.

Cadaver dogs don't lie.

Her father did what? The cause of death in this case was an opinion of homocide with zero physical evidence. Rule 1 in a homocide case, prove the victime was in fact murdered. Dogs don't determine cause of death.

And dead bodies don't get into their mother's trunk by themselves. The cadaver dogs certainly weren't swayed by public opinion.

I am kinda disappointed that he dropped his suit. If you call in the Coast Guard for a false SAR operation you will be charged criminally and forced to repay the cost of the SAR operation. She made false statements and wasted the time, money, and efforts of both individuals and taxpayers where they could have been doing other things.

I don't but the "well you volunteered" argument, they were basically tricked into volunteering based on false statements in the case. I really don't see how this decision would have any bearing on any one else who volunteers their time unless they were defrauded into volunteering. She knew the location of her daughters remains and lied to avoid the consequences of her actions. She made false statements to bring those people out to help.

If I were to volunteer for a non profit to help disperse food to people in need only to later find out that it was a scam to get free labor out of me and I was really working in someones for profit business, I would probably sue for the wages I should have received.

Just a few thoughts. First, this was the largest single trial in US history. There were some 6 million pages of discovery. The trial lasted, what, a couple of months? And none of us, except the participants, were privy to all that went on. Those who think she is guilty have the same exposure to court tv and lawyers tell you. When it comes down to reasonable doubt, juries almost always, in my experience, get it right.

Second, as far as suing, I'm curious. I'm not admitted to practice in Florida, but generally, tort law requires that the defendant have a duty to the plaintiff. Now I suppose an enterprising lawyer could claim that Anthony had a duty to future volunteers not to put them out. I don't see how that could fly, considering there is often a condition of reasonableness. The plaintiff who have to prove that Anthony had a duty to somebody she didn't even know, and that it was reasonable to impose that duty towards an unknown party. But if that lawyer were successful, and if Anthony lost, imagine what that would do to the future of volunteering, and the future of someone asking for help. I think it's a bad idea to sue here, and bad public policy to let it go forward.

Foreseeability testIn many states, like Florida and Massachusetts, the only test is whether the harm to the plaintiff from the defendant's actions was foreseeable

At least two of the flaws in your logic:

1. Coast Guard is not a volunteer organization.
2. Caylee's mother did not "profit" from her lies.

I am kinda disappointed that he dropped his suit. If you call in the Coast Guard for a false SAR operation you will be charged criminally and forced to repay the cost of the SAR operation. She made false statements and wasted the time, money, and efforts of both individuals and taxpayers where they could have been doing other things.

I don't but the "well you volunteered" argument, they were basically tricked into volunteering based on false statements in the case. I really don't see how this decision would have any bearing on any one else who volunteers their time unless they were defrauded into volunteering. She knew the location of her daughters remains and lied to avoid the consequences of her actions. She made false statements to bring those people out to help.

If I were to volunteer for a non profit to help disperse food to people in need only to later find out that it was a scam to get free labor out of me and I was really working in someones for profit business, I would probably sue for the wages I should have received.

this is exactly why folks should take the law into their own hands when violently wronged. Our system of justice is a joke catering to rich white men that for some reason many sheeple just stand by and accept.

Foreseeability testIn many states, like Florida and Massachusetts, the only test is whether the harm to the plaintiff from the defendant's actions was foreseeable

A gross and manifestly incorrect summation of Florida's tort law system. Are you an attorney admitted in FL?

That woman is getting sued by everyone and rightfully so. That jury was the worst in history......didn't anyone consider the fact the prosecution would retry her with better charges if they hung the verdict?? They just wanted to go home and the heck with justice....... pitiful

Can I sue because of all the time I wasted watching a TV program that constantly promised "BREAKING NEWS" in connection with Casey Anthony but served up the same warmed over idiocy every time? I'd like to sue that tv show, and Casey herself. I expect that at some point Fox News will hire her as a political analyst. A match made in heaven.

Can I sue because of all the time I wasted watching a TV program that constantly promised "BREAKING NEWS" in connection with Casey Anthony but served up the same warmed over idiocy every time? I'd like to sue that tv show, and Casey herself. I expect that at some point Fox News will hire her as a political analyst. A match made in heaven.

No kidding.

Back
Top Bottom