DiveRite vs OMS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ghost.Diver

Contributor
Reaction score
Ok, this topic has seen it's share of web time but I figure one more time wont hurt :wink:

I'm looking at getting a new BC. Narrowed the choice down to Transpac II or OMS IQ. I'm looking for opinions on which way to go. Here's some info to help out. Usually diving fresh water,with some time spent in the Gulf of Mexico. Only using 3-5ml suit if any at all. Diving with AL80's, 125LP's, 95LP's and Dual 72LP's.
I do plan on getting cave and wreck certified.

LDS's do not have either BC in stock, have examined friends TPII. He went from Mares Frontier and never looked back. Dont know anyone with OMS IQ for comparison.

Which way do I go?? Which way do I go?? :confused:

Texas Mike... for verily he also is an OMS IQ diver such as myself, but doth live in the state from which thou posteth. I dive HP PST 120s and dual 72s and the IQ is great! I also dive a Chute II and like it too.

Checked out the Halcyon and the BP from OMS but I dont know if I want to go with a BP system just yet.
What is the comfort level of those? Keep in mind, during the sping/summer/early fall I still am diving in t-shirt or no shirt. Bare back with back plate seems kinda rough....

Another thing, will the wings interchange between DiveRite and OMS? (One complanit I have with OMS's system is the only redundant bladder they have is 100#.)

Use the same 11 " bolt pattern. They are interchangeable. I dive the dual 100# bungeed wings of death. I recently punctured my bladder... Contrary to what many think about the bungeed wings: they still worked fine for the dive! I will be repairing the puncture before I dive them again though. A #100 pounds of lift: for when you can never get enough of a good thing!

Originally posted by TxDeepDiver
What is the comfort level of those? [BPs] Keep in mind, during the sping/summer/early fall I still am diving in t-shirt or no shirt. Bare back with back plate seems kinda rough....
I dove in Cozumel with a BP wearing only a Polartec; absolutely comfortable. With just a T shirt or no shirt it might be a little cool when you first put it on. Once you get into the water you'll never know it's there...

Roak

My personal preference is the Transpac II, especially with a single tank. I dive the Rec wing with doubles, the travel wing with singles. If you're only getting one wing to start with, I recommend the Rec wing - lots of folks dive it with singles too and like it (personally I don't, but then I'm real persnickety about my gear).
Rick

Originally posted by TxDeepDiver
Checked out the Halcyon and the BP from OMS but I dont know if I want to go with a BP system just yet.
What is the comfort level of those? Keep in mind, during the sping/summer/early fall I still am diving in t-shirt or no shirt. Bare back with back plate seems kinda rough....

Another thing, will the wings interchange between DiveRite and OMS? (One complanit I have with OMS's system is the only redundant bladder they have is 100#.)
But yea, verily, the OMS IQ system will accomodate a backplate if thou-est do-est desire-est such-est a thing-est. (Darn it Pete! I study the NIV version, not King James!)

Like "Father" Pete stated, The bolt holes on many wings are somewhat standardized to work with other BP's

If you're not in a huge rush to purchase, meet up with me sometime at a TSDT dive and I would be happy to let you check out my IQ pack and take a short dive with it.

But the KJV is "DIR" to many groups. However, I prefer to read it in the original tongue. Not that I claim to understand all of it. I mean hey, it's all Greek to me anyway...

Bible trivia... what are the only two of Jesus' words that were not translated into Greek... which has since been re-translated into English.

Way off topic here... sorry...

Originally posted by NetDoc
But the KJV is "DIR" to many groups.
I know. My brother, Matt, is an ordained pastor at the local Bible church. He even learned to read/write in Greek so he could study some of the original writings of the time.

For a grin, I made him a lapel button written in Greek, "It's English to me"

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom