Diver's Equipment Protection Program (DEPP) - Buyer Beware

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That must be the same Rodney. Did he tell you to file in CA? I would contact the California District Attorney's office too, see if they can help. I remember reading that someone else got some joy having filed with the DA is California.
I will dig out the info on my claim and send you what I did so you have something to work with.
Best
Simon

---------- Post added February 7th, 2013 at 12:45 AM ----------

Makes me wonder how deep Undercurrent investigated before printing the story.

They should stop giving these people the benefit of the doubt... the smell of BS wafting up from the DEPP office in Kentucky is making me gag!

No check in the mail when I returned from the Bahamas. Grrr.

---------- Post added February 7th, 2013 at 07:56 AM ----------

I've used Undercurrent's Chapbook in the past with great results, but I saw a piece they did on alleged collusion and "price fixing" here on Catalina a while back and wrote Ben Davidson to tell him I thought they did not look closely enough at the matter to report the real facts. It was disappointing.

Makes me wonder how deep Undercurrent investigated before printing the story.

Undercurrent's piece on DEPP was more sarcastic about DEPP's response than being an investigation. I think that you need to read the whole thing first. Undercurrent didn't report it as if it were a reasonable explanation. In fact, they made fun of the response from DEPP.

Dear Utila Simon:
I have called the Kentucky state commissioner office and talked to a man named Rodney. I described my interaction with DEPP to him. He told me he was aware of a NR Deane Lehrmitt but said he was unable to elaborate on any details. I mention your name and said that you had submitted a twenty page complaint against Mr. Lehrmitt. He told me he could not discuss any details. He told me I should talk to Laura Larkin who' works in the fraud department. Would you please provide me a copy of your complaint, I filed a claim with DEPP for the amount of approximate 14,000 dollars. I would like to be reimbursed for my losses,

---------- Post added February 8th, 2013 at 02:04 AM ----------

Dear drbill : I have attempted to file a report with the Kentucky Insurance Commissioners Office. I have spoken with a man named Rodney. My claim with DEPP is aproximately
12,000 dollars I filled my claim with DEPP in October of 2010. They sent me partial payment of 1,400 dollars. Deane Lehrmitt told me that my claim had accidently been closed and would have to be resubmitted. Yep that was a year ago and I have not received any additional payment. Would you please sent me any information on the Lehrmitts. I am planning on filing complaint with California Insursnce Commission.

Thanks for any help in this matter.

Undercurrent's piece on DEPP was more sarcastic about DEPP's response than being an investigation. I think that you need to read the whole thing first. Undercurrent didn't report it as if it were a reasonable explanation. In fact, they made fun of the response from DEPP.

Unfortunately our sense of humor with regards to these people is is short supply! Maybe a full investigation is exactly whats needed, although one conducted by the Police would be more appropriate!
:)

Just in case you did not see this email from undercurrent, please see below.
I have just sent my thoughts and a summary of my situation to Ben, hope you all have time to do the same this weekend...

Best
Simon

"Whenever we write about dive equipment insurance, we always get a few reader complaints about Dive Equipment Protection Plan (DEPP) and its slow handling of complaints. In this month's issue, Deane W. Lehrmitt, who handles the DEPP program, explained why DEPP has recently been giving its customers the silent treatment (a five-week computer systems failure), but some Undercurrent readers aren't buying that. "If they are up and running again since December, why are they not responding to all the claims filed before that?" asks Helena Soler (Mammoth Lakes, CA). Have you too had any bad experiences with DEPP or another dive equipment insurer? Or can you share a good customer-service story, or advice on how to get a claim handled right? Send me your stories, comments and tips at EditorBenD@Undercurrent.org"

Welcome to the club of dissatisfied ex-DEPP customers.....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom