Divers Surprised By Active Submarine

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just didn't think the idea thru, but then my jumpsuit keeps me honest in the water.
Or maybe the scuba divers split into two groups and act like they are fighting. A rumble down below. Chalk that idea up to insomnia. I should be sleeping right now.

Pretty sure we saw that thing being towed on the surface last June. I didn't realize it was an operational, kind of neat. I've never been on a sub, it might be fun to do once if it's not super expensive.
I have seen it hauled out on that motorized sling at the little marina next to Blue Angel a couple of times. It came by us diving at Chankanaab Bolones once, too.

Perhaps as I get older, I find juvenile behaviour by adults more irritating. .

images (6).jpg
c3a0d05726a10311c78a357567d25231.jpg

While we thought the diver who mooned the sub was a bit crass, we did get a chuckle out of the incident.

I am sorry, but "mooning" is hardly sexually exposing oneself, as it's actually the other end that one has exposed. Besides most women's bathing suits expose nearly as much of the same anatomy, so kids are hardly going to be scarred for life.

If
View attachment 371306 View attachment 371307

While we thought the diver who mooned the sub was a bit crass, we did get a chuckle out of the incident.

I am sorry, but "mooning" is hardly sexually exposing oneself, as it's actually the other end that one has exposed. Besides most women's bathing suits expose nearly as much of the same anatomy, so kids are hardly going to be scarred for life.
If the tourists are European, they'll all just laugh. Children included.

Went on the similar sub in Cayman several years ago just so a couple of non-diving family members could see a little bit of what's under the water's surface especially since they don't snorkel, and they said it did give them a better understanding of why people like to dive. Also did the aquarium dive at Epcot years ago - figured it might be the only chance for my grandkids to ever actually see me dive. Both the sub & Epcot dive were fun, but not necessarily something I would feel any need to do again !

3 "sub" stories-no names, no locations, just to say that all 3 were at different places:

1) While we never saw the sub, we heard the pinging of sonar (?) supposedly US navy.

2 and 3 occurred where there was a "territorial dispute" between dive ops and the touring sub company. Evidently safety was involved.

2) a pre-planned "group moon" of the sub as it came over the dive site-too close to the divers (supposedly, according to the dive op.)

3)Evidently, the pilot of the sub in question did not navigate, but rather followed a path of painted (?) rocks out to the site, and back to the dock along a different route.
The divers moved the rocks....

I don't completely agree with the actions in 2 and 3, but I must admit that I chuckled when I heard the staries.

If
If the tourists are European, they'll all just laugh. Children included.

I think most American children are less sensitive, PC, and prudish, and have a better sense of humor than a great many calling themselves "adults".

3)Evidently, the pilot of the sub in question did not navigate, but rather followed a path of painted (?) rocks out to the site, and back to the dock along a different route.
The divers moved the rocks....

I don't completely agree with the actions in 2 and 3, but I must admit that I chuckled when I heard the staries

:spit: that IS funny, as long as they didn't get anyone hurt by the stunt

:cheers:

If you ever dive Sunset House on Grand Cayman the shop can tell you what time to expect the sub to go by the LCM Nicholson wreck off their property with the cruise excursion tourists. It's an easy kick-out and IIRC about 70'.

My daughter and I saw it when we were diving the C-53 last year, it came by, left, and then circled back around us again, it was pretty cool. And I remember seeing warning signs on it, something like "Don't approach, dangerous propellers," which tells me that they're used to divers getting close to wave (or moon).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom