Divers Surprised By Active Submarine

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

:spit: that IS funny, as long as they didn't get anyone hurt by the stunt

:cheers:
No injures occurred. IIRC somehow, (according to the divers) the divers rearranged the rocks so that the sub, as it left "the dive site" instead of returning to the dock, went in a very large circle. :)

3 "sub" stories-no names, no locations, just to say that all 3 were at different places....

Many years ago we were scheduled to take a chartered liveaboard in the Bahamas and were planning to sail from south Florida to the Cay Sal Bank. But just before we were getting ready to leave for Florida tensions esculated between the US and Cuba and there were a many refugees trying to make it to US shores in makeshift crafts - and a lot of military boats were out patrolling the area.

The Captain of the liveaboard suggested a change of venue. He would move the boat to Nassau and we would all fly in and board there and we would sail the Exumas. He felt we were less likely to encounter problems in that area although we did see a number of military boats and some fighter jets flew right over head and very close to the water.

One day a US naval vessel was hanging around all day. We had just come up from a dive on the wall when I asked a crew member "What kind of boat is that?" and he replied "It's a sub tender."

I said "A sub tender, what for?! I was just down there and there are no subs!" But that was a very foolish thing to say, we were at the edge of the abyss and they could have been holding submarine races down there and I would never know about it!"

Shortly after I made that silly remark a great big, submarine suddenly exploded out of the water - it was between us and the tender and it was a warship and NOT a sightseeing submarine, it was quite a sight!

That's my only submarine story - and I've told it before - but I will never forget it.

P.S. Opps, I forgot, I do have one other submarine story, visiting the U-505 at Chicago's Museum of Science and Industry when I was a kid - but that's a totally different type of experience - very cool, though.

Last edited:
Perhaps as I get older, I find juvenile behaviour by adults more irritating.

Darn kids, get outta here!!!

dana-carvey-grumpy1.jpg

Minion mooned.jpg

Pretty sure we saw that thing being towed on the surface last June. I didn't realize it was an operational, kind of neat. I've never been on a sub, it might be fun to do once if it's not super expensive.

edit: Found the website. They've got an expert crue and charge $105usd for a 2 hour ride. I think that's more than I'm willing to spend for the trip.

If you stay at Casa del Mar, and book online with Orbitz and others like that, you used to (and still may) get 2 free tickets for the sub. Their shop is right across the street from the hotel and the sub is docked at Casa del Mar's pier every night. Fwiw, if you book through Delta, you generally get breakfast included for your stay.

A few years ago some of our club members were diving in Coz, crossed paths with the sub and took the opportunity to do a fly-by with the club colors. I'd have loved to have seen the reactions inside the sub.

upload_2016-4-12_9-38-5.png

A few years ago some of our club members were diving in Coz, crossed paths with the sub and took the opportunity to do a fly-by with the club colors. I'd have loved to have seen the reactions inside the sub.

Now that is awesome!!

Same sub saw us on a wreck and all you could see were flashes going off in all the windows:)

Just like at Disney World EPCOT- Living Seas ...The last thing they tell you before entering the tank is to Wave, Pose for photos, Have Fun !... Because, for the time, you are part of the Disney Family... Go to Chankanaab Balones... Hope the Sub goes by and enjoy the 15 minuets .... Of course...not too close

Double S

Back
Top Bottom