Diving accident at Tobermory this past weekend???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So far this is the only thing that has been posted - has the diver's name and where he was from but not much on details.

Diver Dead

And in case the link goes dead:

Monday, July 14, 2008
Diver Dead
Tobermory
by Manny Paiva
A 53 year old man is dead while diving at Tobermory.

Bruce Peninsula OPP were called to the diving destination in Northern Bruce Peninsula around 10:40 yesterday morning.

Police say the diver -- who was operating off a dive boat -- surfaced in medical distress.

CPR was administered but the man was pronounced dead a short time later.

The man has been identified as Craig Whitehouse of Niagara on the Lake.

The Canadian Coast Guard and Parks Canada personnel were called to assist.

A post mortem will be done today at the Owen Sound hospital to determine the exact cause of death

Here is another article from Owen Sound newspaper:

Owen Sound Sun Times - Ontario, CA

A 53-year-old diver who surfaced in the waters around Tobermory in a state of medical distress died Saturday despite attempts to save him.

Police say Craig Whitehouse of Niagara- on-the-Lake was an experienced diver and was part of a large group of people who chartered a dive boat on the weekend.

At the time of the incident, Whitehouse was diving alone, away from the main group, which was working with a dive master. The boat was anchored in 35 feet of water.

"He was off on his own, away from the group that was getting instruction from the dive master," said Staff Sgt. Brad Fishleigh of the Bruce Peninsula OPP.

"He was very experienced and they weren't in very much water at the time."

The cause of death is under investigation by the police, coast guard and Fathom Five National Marine Park officials. The man received CPR but was pronounced dead a short time later.

so sorry to hear about his death and my condolences to his family and friends. was wondering because i had some friends up there diving and i hadn't heard from them yet. again my deepest sympathy to the family and friends !

Some more details are starting to come out about this terrible tragedy. It sounds like this was what I would consider to be a technical dive with a possible depth in the 200' range. My thoughts go out to the family and friends of this diver during this very difficult time. Perhaps someone with some more first hand knowledge will be able to post some additional details about what went wrong.

Hello, I knew Craig quite well. All of the details are not out yet as to what happened so I will not speculate. All I know is that he was an amazing person and I was talking to him Wednesday night before he left and he was telling us of his plan for the weekend. He is an extremely accomplished scuba diver and is probably one of the most respected, safe and trained divers I have ever had the pleasure of diving with. He was the leader of our Wednesday night club dives and was always ready to take a new diver out into the water to show them the ropes. His personality was infectious. Being around him you couldnt help but love diving. He was a leader, mentor and father figure to alot of people. He will be missed dearly. As more details arise I will keep people informed. But until I hear the full story I will not speculate as to what happened. All people need to know is that he loved diving alot and our group of dedicated Wednesday night divers will carry on in his name and will meet this Wednesday like all others and remember Craig for what we knew him as.

Criag was recently interested in our Welland Scuba Park development. His heart for diving was well spread in the Niagara area. He will be missed.

Kevin

My thoughts and prayers are with Craig and his friends and family.

Thanks miked10 for your post.

Miked10, please keep us posted on any developments. I am heading to Tobermory on Saturday and as CDNscubamoose and I have been discussing, things will be tense up there due to this fatality.

I would also like you to send a warm heart felt condolence to your scuba club for their loss of a friend and a leader, and to his family is you know them. It sounds like this was the type of gentleman who would have fit into anyone our dive clubs or been a warm soul around a campfire while we shared scuba stories and a rum.

Thanks again,

Bus

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom