Diving Accident, Self-Responsibility and Balance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, what Jax said. You did a number of things right. You dropped your weight belt, you got to the surface, and you didn't try to kill your rescuers. Sometimes, that's all we can ask. It seems to me like events overwhelmed you. That's OK, you've learned a limit.

Why can't I like a post more than once?

What'd work even better would be a flashcard that says "do that again and you lose your tip"

They're usually too far away to read. :cool:

Maybe I'll bring along a fake $20, hold it up so he sees it, then rip it in half and let it go. :cool:

flots.

Last edited:
I feel the dive crew should check the DAN 02 before every trip. Though it did appear they had emergency gear onboard it seems they were a bit confused on how to use it. I'm also curious if one of the DM also captained the boat. Perhaps he stood there thinking of moving the boat or diving in the help. I've been in that position. Working for a university we had to pratice emergency situations, take a DAN 02 refresher and 1st aid courses every other year. It seems this dive company did a lot right and did a bit wrong as well. I'm very happy you have survived and hope you continue the enjoy diving. Next time you are on a boat you might find interest in checking out their safety equipment. Though you did try to calm yourself it's clear the helplessness of being taken by current frightened you. In the future when the DM says you will encounter current you may want to talk to them about which way the current runs and if you are unable to fight the current where will you end up? Adventure-Ocean

I think you nailed it on the head. 1) Absolutely, no way around it, I knew better and partied anyway; 2) This statement summed up for me what I have really been asking myself. Feels exactly right, and makes this whole painful post completely worth writing it in the first place; 3) I really appreciate you noting that I am not a TOTAL idiot :wink:! The things I remembered as it spun out of control were:
1) never, ever panic;
2) keep your reg IN;
3) don't fight the current, stop and rest;
4) slow your breathing (this was the bad part, I couldn't);
5) stay very still when a rescuer approaches. Grabbing them puts everyone in danger. I clasped my hands over my stomach and kept them there;

Reading point 4, this makes total sense to me. The same with point 4(2)., as others have noted, a DM must stay with the boat. It had not occurred to me, but clearly that was the right thing to do on his part. Point 5., the depth of the water after crossing over the reef was about 15 feet. Not sure where everyone else was, but I am so glad everyone else was safe and sound.

It's your points 6 and 7 that I think stress me the most. I just needed AIR. I flopped on the floor of the boat, my feet already blue. Someone stuck the mask on, then backed away. The air was going up my cheek. I adjusted it until I felt the air flow into my nose, then someone took that one off and put another one on. They just kind of set it on my face and backed away again. Again, I fumbled with it until that sweet, delicious O2 was flowing into my nose. I was essentially having a severe asthma attack, even though I have never, ever had asthma, or any other illness. It is called EIB.

Tony Chaney, you just made me feel SO MUCH BETTER. You read my post, got it, and went right to the heart of what actually happened. Having worked with thoracic and heart transplant patients, and trauma patients for years, the RT's were often the real life savers. No one could have predicted what happened. Your analysis made this entire event crystal clear.

I will be happy to post the video, it lasts 11 minutes. My husband has to convert it somehow though. My camera is a newer Olympus and for some reason has to be fiddled with to get it to upload. Please accept my bone-crushing, heartfelt, virtual hug!!!

---------- Post added February 23rd, 2014 at 04:26 PM ----------

View attachment 178335 This a pic of the swim through, it's a big pipe from the ship wreck. Totally cool. I am guessing I was winded by now.

Reactions: Jax
I've posted in this forum before, slightly similar circumstances. bottom line was that I panicked. I've never had a panic attack before or since but the memory of being unable to breath still haunts me 13 years on. If its any consolation, I'm back diving (after a long break) and LOVING IT :) I'm just gearing up to do PADI Rescue Diver course this summer. After a scary experience I decided that the best way to get back into it was to do more training courses and did my AOW, and Nitrox courses.

I still occasionally get "the fear" and especially is surge sometimes find my anxiety levels rising (generally If I've not been diving for a while)

I think the posters above have given you reasons for the various actions of the dive crew. I wont comment on that, just to say I know how frightening it is when TSHTF. Dont stop diving

Here is my account of my experiences - it may help you to see that we all make mistakes :) http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ne...386-experience-stopped-me-diving-9-years.html

This short video was taken a few minutes before we turned around. I remember feeling a little winded and tossed around, but still having a blast.
P2190157 - YouTube

Attachments

• P2190158.jpg
    P2190158.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 279
  • P2190148.jpg
    P2190148.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 122
[video=youtube_share;P6pj4DnfYZY]http://youtu.be/P6pj4DnfYZY[/video]

I posted this in the wrong place, this was taken shortly before we turned around. I think I was winded at this point but was so focused on the dive, I didn't pay attention.

---------- Post added February 23rd, 2014 at 04:41 PM ----------

[video=youtube_share;P6pj4DnfYZY]http://youtu.be/P6pj4DnfYZY[/video] Sorry guys, I am trying to post this to Tony! Brief clip just before things began going south.

---------- Post added February 23rd, 2014 at 04:45 PM ----------

Thank you, I will check it out. Everyone has clarified for me that the actions the crew took in getting me back to the book were exactly what they needed to be. I gave all of them hugs and thanks before I left the island btw. It was knowing that oxygen was near, but I was unable to consistently access it, is what caused my terror and resulting emotional trauma. I see that now. Thank you so much, I feel much better.

First of all glad you are mostly ok. I am not going to re hash what the others have already said so well other than to reiterate that the last person I would trust to keep me safe and lead a dive that I would be totally ok with is any DM, instructor, or guide that does not know me. They don't know my comfort level, actual skills, level of training (too man c cards are bought these days not earned), and actual experience.

Next is the picture of the "swim through" is very disturbing. That is not a swim thru. It's an overhead. OW divers without overhead training have no business being in there and the person who leads them through that should be slapped repeatedly.

The other disturbing thing about this thread is the lack of awareness of what diving with a buddy actually means, and more importantly, why it is done. It used to be drilled into OW divers to stay with your buddy. Now it seems like "follow the DM and you'll be fine" is the lesson being relayed. But it's not new. I have a presentation and paper on the failure of the buddy system and it has a chapter in my book. More and more it becomes clear that the real root of the problem is the initial instruction the diver does not receive in what the buddy system is.

I am not a super athlete by any means and could be in better shape all the way around. But I don't smoke as it is a filthy disgusting habit that I had for many years and worked hard to stop. I don't drink and certainly would not the night before diving. What I do have is a strong sense of self preservation and learning to listen to that little voice that says this may be a bad idea is easy. Didn't used to be, but it is now. You learned some valuable lessons. Take them to heart. Get off the cancer sticks, get your cardio level up. Even a little is better than nothing. Do some research on what a dive buddy is and how to dive with one the right way. That could be tough as many OW instructors don't seem to know how. And never, ever, trust a DM, Guide, or instructor to keep you safe. That's your job.

---------- Post added February 23rd, 2014 at 05:57 PM ----------

thanks for the video. breathing sounds a little shallow but maybe that's just what it sounds like. Another thing is to take nice deep normal breaths. If you find yourself unable to due to the conditions end the dive.

Again, I fumbled with it until that sweet, delicious O2 was flowing into my nose. I was essentially having a severe asthma attack, even though I have never, ever had asthma, or any other illness. It is called EIB.
You keep repeating this, over and over. Are you a doctor? Have a DOCTOR (not WebMD) diagnosed you with this?

Oxygen played no role in this. This is proven by your evident survival and well-being despite a lengthy period without it. Your "sweet, delicious" reaction to it is called the placebo effect.

This has every sign of a panic attack; not something medical; I feel you're trying to dodge the true cause of this near-accident by blaming this on something you found on the internet rather than what truly happened. You hit the surface, saw how far away the boat was and panicked because your mind thought you'd drift away and never be found. It's ok, it happens. It's not something to try to deny.

You've found something that allows you to dodge the true cause because you feel it may reflect poorly on you. Until you accept that this was a classic panic reaction, you're trying to find something other than yourself as the cause of this accident.

Captain, I knew when posting that there would be those who, because of their commitment to the sport, would feel defensive of the crew. As an attorney, almost every day I hear some BS story from one person or another claiming they got a bad wrap because "my lawyer screwed me", or "my lawyer told me to plead guilty, but I'm not", or "my lawyer was an idiot and wouldn't let me explain", etc.

And like you, in most instances, I feel defensive of my fellow attorneys. And in most instances, I was right to. Trial lawyers are always the first to be attacked when something goes wrong, and yet, most of the time, the lawyer is doing exactly what he should have done for his client in that situation.
So, I understand. And agree with much of what you said. However, once in awhile, I see a lawyer that DID screw up, he did make a mistake, sometimes a huge one that will affect a persons life forever.

Sir, many of your points were well taken and again, thank you.

However, after researching this issue and your statement, saying "We can't plan or be equipped for every contingency. They carried enough O2 to get a normally bent or embolised diver back to the dock and into the hands of the nurse", is not an accurate description of what the PADI EMERGENCY OXYGEN PROVIDER SPECIALTY COURSE, is all about. This course is available to ALL divers and non-divers. Attaching a mask and a hose to a cylinder, then placing said mask in the appropriate position on a disoriented or unresponsive diver, are easy skills to learn.

I understand now, many of the actions of the dive crew were appropriate and necessary.
But blaming me for "using up all the oxygen", seems a bit unfair. Especially when a significant portion of that oxygen didn't make it into my lungs because it was shooting into my eye or creating a gentle breeze by my right ear. There was NOT enough O2 to get me to shore, let alone a bent diver! A bent or embolized diver would have likely required far more O2 than I did having EIB.
Minimizing this essential skill puts lives in danger, entirely unnecessarily. and yes, you CAN, and SHOULD plan to have O2 easily available, plentiful and staff trained to use it. And inexpensive. I hope others here do not follow suit and minimize the huge benefits of taking these simple steps.

I hope most on this forum can simply ensure they have emergency oxygen on board (maybe even 2 bottles?) and staff are trained to put it together and smack on that mask. It is so easy, and may save someones life, even yours, one day.
Please, I am begging you all.

[h=3][/h]

Back
Top Bottom