Diving after 55 - split from: Tavernier fatality - Florida Keys

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think it is going along just fine.
My points are:
  • the original premise for the thread was stupid, as most posts on here acknowledge
  • other than chest-thumping (I'm older than you are! Naa Naa Naa Naa Naaa) does it really add anything to announce one's age and "I'm still diving?" Do you think anyone who reads SB is going to say, "I stopped diving ten years ago and was only 48?"
  • Is anyone going to post, "I dived too long and now I'm dead?"
So, if piling on is good, have at it. @boulderjohn, is this the equivalent of a blamestorm, which you always criticize and even disallow? That is, piling on and adding nothing new or useful? Is this an "agingstorm?"

My points are:
  • the original premise for the thread was stupid, as most posts on here acknowledge
  • other than chest-thumping (I'm older than you are! Naa Naa Naa Naa Naaa) does it really add anything to announce one's age and "I'm still diving?" Do you think anyone who reads SB is going to say, "I stopped diving ten years ago and was only 48?"
So, if piling on is good, have at it. @boulderjohn, is this the equivalent of a blamestorm, which you always criticize and even disallow? That is, piling on and adding nothing new or useful? Is this an "agingstorm?"

It is just a thread of people talking about diving.

If you don't like it, get off it, and stop posting.

It is just a thread of people talking about diving.

If you don't like it, get off it, and stop posting.
LOL! I'm really sorry about your cornflakes.

My points are:
The blamestorming prohibition is in A&I, and it involves something not found here: casting blame.

Corn flakes? At his age I would expect oatmeal or as my son likes to call my breakfast:. Oldmeal

I like the "Oldmeal" seems appropriate. My Grandsons will appreciate it.

I'll take a good bacon and Swiss cheese omelet and a double Bloody Mary.

Everyone is focusing on "what if I have a heart attack" but how would things go if your buddy had a heart attack, or another diver you don't know, but who is on the same boat, has a heart attack? Would you have a different reaction if you knew the guy had been ignoring health warning signs, maybe even complained about feeling poorly to mates, but didn't want to sacrifice the money already spent on trip? So this thread can ask people to think not just about their own outcomes but everyone else's, and even solo divers too.

Ageism is no different than racism or sexism. But society is more accepting of it.
To think that my death would upset someone so therefore I should not participate in an activity, is to say your feelings are more important than my life.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom