Diving after 55 - split from: Tavernier fatality - Florida Keys

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am 66. Wife/DB is 62. I have jettisoned any theoretical interest in ever diving The Doria, but Truk is still on my list (next year.) I get a medical sign off every year. I dove the So Cal Channel Islands a few years ago with a random buddy on his 80th Birthday. Pure inspiration.

I get a check up every year by my D.A.N. certified doctor.

Does DAN certify doctors? I know that they recommend some doctors. When did this certification start?

If I die while diving and upset my buddy in the process, we'll too damn bad! I promise it won't happen again. :)

Two physicals a year guarantee my health for at least one more Day Each!

Staying active and diving are likely a lot less dangerous than sitting on your ass, watching every sporting event on TV while drinking a couple of six packs and munching chips all weekend. As long as my PCP, who is an ex-Navy dive doc, tells me I am good to dive, I am going to continue to do so, and if somebody does not want to dive with me because I am an old guy, I will just dive solo.

I heard a couple of 32 year old divers died due to mistakes, better make the age cuttoff 32. Heard a couple of instructors died, better ban all instructors from diving!

Ok now seriously lets stop all the rubbish about age cuttoff. Realistically, if you are healthy enough to dive then you should do so, regardless of age. If you are not (no matter the age) you should not until cleared as healthy. I think its pretty simple. Same goes with "if you dont have the intelligence (read a potential member for the Darwinian theory) then you shouldn't dive either unless you change your understanding and attitude as you pose as greater risk or even more so to your fellow divers.

As many have said, often one appears in good health and something not diagnosed takes a life. Such is life. Be assured, no matter the circumstance, it will affect many people regardless of the situation. That its diving, or golf, or work, it can create risk for others and have a profound effect on them too (speaking from experience, having been in that situation). If I am ever in the situation where a fellow diver is in trouble, all I can hope is that I do the best I can to help them not die. If their death happens, its effect on me is part of living, caring and trying to help.

I intend on diving until my health prevents me. I have been assessed as healthy and once my knee recovers from its latest surgery I will be up and diving again. I would not stupidly dive with a known serious heart condition or such, as I think thats irresponsible, but if I pass while diving, so be it. I could so easily die while driving and kill another road user etc. I think being sensible, responsible about your diving is what we should all strive to achieve and in doing that you are caring and being responsible about fellow divers.

Does DAN certify doctors? I know that they recommend some doctors. When did this certification start?

Poor choice of words on my part....better explained by DAN below.

Dive medicine or hyperbaric medicine generally is considered a subspecialty among the approximately 600 referral physicians in DAN's database. These doctors have completed either a subspecialty of hyperbaric and dive medicine or a related continuing medical education course in hyperbaric and dive medicine within the past five years. Also included in the database are military-trained diving medical officers who have completed an accredited hyperbaric fellowship or board certification in undersea and hyperbaric medicine.

Back
Top Bottom