Diving and Nails?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ZenDiva

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
ok...I wear a forever french nail tip, but I've found after a weekend in the pool that this may not exactly be something that works well w/ diving...I mean they are strong, I've never had issues w/ them slinging iron in the gym....however...if water gets underneath there could be an issue w/ green mold or a fungus....caused by trapped water...

do any of you get your nails done? I hate my hands w/out them.........:(

I had nails until I got back into diving. Being in the water for extended periods of time made them a little soft and prone to breakage. I gave up nails for diving.

With all the time I spend in the water, I have a hard enough time keeping natural nails in good shape. For me, nails with any length seem destined to break, (painfully short), during a diving weekend.
You may just want to schedule your nail appointments for after your dive trips.

I don't bother. Even my really short natural nails seem to get mangled. :D Mind you, I've never really bothered with my nails anyway. So.

But yea, it may be a good idea to remove them for reasons you already mentioned (fungus and breakage and whatnot). Or perhaps remove them for a dive then get them done again after? I wouldn't really know though, as I have never had mine done, so I am not quite sure how it all works. Sorry I can't offer any better advice!

I get my nails done...I have the pink and whites so I have a french tip with no paint. I have never had any problem with them diving and getting water trapped under them or fungus growing. I do tend to wear them shorter than I used to though since I don't want to risk a break while handling gear.

I've had acrylic tips for 4 or 5 years now. A good friend of mine is my nail tech- once the acrylic is laid, there is no way water can get under it- even if it cracks or breaks, you can drop a little alcohol on it to dry the water and then superglue it (works like a charm). BTW- my nails are commonly referred to (by my friends) as being "stripper length".

I used to get mine done but kept them at no more than 1/4 long. For summer diving 2 dives on a weekend day they were fine. Once things started to cool and I had to fight the wetsuit or did multiple dive days they started to break. Mine were natural with acrylic over them. I gave up on getting them done last fall. I generally keep my naturals at the same 1/4 but loose them during several days of diving. 3 weeks later they are back where they were.

My wife has french tips with natural nails. She makes about 500 dives a year and keeps beautiful nails. Here is her secret --- my wife uses "LIQUID BAND-AID" on her nails. She wears these silky looking gloves under her dive gloves. Sounds crazy but she discovered it on accident....but it works. Just thought I would throw that in there for ya.

They look so cute if you have dive flags painted on.. and take your nail glue, just in case.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom