Diving Doubles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree that doubles are very nice to DIVE. They are, however, not nice to schlep anywhere at all. I dive them sometimes when I don't really have to, just to stay in practice, but it's always nice to throw on a single tank and not have to work as hard, in the water or out of it.

Best thing about diving doubles is that after a few dives in 'em, when you strap on a singles rig it feels like a toy ... :D

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I actually prefer diving my double 72s over diving a single, even in shallow water. For some reason, they just feel better. Mine are connected using a one-piece USD center tap, J valve manifold, so there are no gas management issues other than not running out of air. And they work great with my PRAM.

Do you need a class to dive doubles? - If you have a good mentor with experience in doubles and the move from your current setup is incremental (you already dive with a backplate, etc) I would say you can easily go without a class. Having said that, a good class, will be very worth it if you can take it.
Should you dive doubles? - Why not? You are still working on improving your SAC rate and want to eventually move to diving with twins. I see no reason not to use the extra air to get more time in the water and start getting comfortable with the new setup. You might find that, initially, your SAC gets significantly worse as you not yet efficient with the rig. In a few dives that should pass and you will drop down to a SAC similar to single tank.

Some people love diving with doubles for the sense of stability and do it at every opportunity. Others, like me, dive doubles most of the time because I feel I should practice certain skills in them ... but I love it when I have a good excuse (of course I will take videos/photos of your class!) to take a single tank and enjoy the range of motion on a single breath and the easy of handling the tank outside of the water :)

I dive double HP 120's with a drysuit. I started diving doubles after about 40 dives. I had a good mentor so I can recommend that because it worked for me. Having 100-200 dives before starting to dive doubles doesn't make any sense to me if in fact you are very interested in the benefits already outlined by previous posts.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom