Diving Doubles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

a22shady

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Was wondering what some of your thoughts would be for Diving wit Doubles. Do you think it is necessary to go out and do a whole course simply to dive with doubles? For those of you that currently Dive them is there really that much of a difference or would having a competent diver who dives them already give a lesson on them suffice. They would only be used for recreational purposes 100’ and less. I am planning on doing a doubles clinic Just curious as to other's thoughts

Last edited:
Question is, "Why dive doubles?" Think about your question, then the answer will be more apparent. If it is a normal double set up, you need to learn the mechanistic of the set up and learn how to trouble shoot. Will your buddies understand the set up? Training never hurts and experience is always better than lack off.....

I have no experience with modern doubles / isolation manifolds. I dove with 2 singles pigtailed together in the past, currently I dive independent doubles(IDs). IDs are 2 single tanks each with a dedicated regulator and SPG carried as doubles. The only task loading is switching between 2nd stages. Monitoring your SPG(s) is important but it's part of diving anyway. My SPG for the tank on my right is on my right side the other is on my left. I can feel by touch differences in my right and left regs so I don't need to look to know which one I'm using. Both are on necklaces.

A real draw back with IDs is in the event of a regulator failure you can't use the gas in that tank, your left with half the gas you started with. Each dive must be planned with that in mind. Example: if a deco dive is planned then an emergency bottle should be accessible in the event of a failure. IMO DCS puts me in a "overhead environment" I don't want to come up until I've my deco.

If you can reach behind your back far enough to reach valves and your comfortable diving and can assume a little task loading then isolation valves seem like the ideal setup. You can start with 2 tanks each with dedicated regulators isolated from each other (if that's what you want ) if a reg fails you can isolate the tank from the failed regulator and still use all your gas through the operational regulator by turning valves off and on.

Whichever configuration you use the idea of carrying a small pony bottle to hand off in a buddies OOA is looking good to me.

You should do some research on here doubles, most people can figure out for themselves what they need to know. When you buy your gear ask LOTS of questions. You can tap into a lot of knowledge if the talk ends with a sale:wink:

Was wondering what some of your thoughts would be for Diving wit Doubles.

They would only be used for recreational purposes 100’ and less..

Why bother? What problem are doubles fixing?

You will spend a pile of cash,and carry around a lot more heavy gear to do dives that are easily done with a single tank.

Makes no sense to me.

Do you think it is necessary to go out and do a whole course simply to dive with doubles?

No, not if you have access to the equipment & someone to mentor you

For those of you that currently Dive them is there really that much of a difference or would having a competent diver who dives them already give a lesson on them suffice

There's a significant difference, but someone competent could teach you pretty easily. You need to know how to do a valve shutdown and air share, that's about it

It depends on why and how you want to dive doubles.

For general use, with non-isolated manifold or independant cylinders, then there are some good 'into to twinset' type courses available, that will help with configuration, buoyancy and trim. I'd recommend those to anyone.

If you want to use the doubles to provide gas redundancy through an isolated manifold, then some formal training in shut-down procedures is strongly recommended. I was present at the time of a near fatality, when an untrained (DIY Internet self-tuition) twinset diver had a problem and then screwed up the shutdown - leaving himself with no gas at 28m.

Thans for the info. They we will be used with an Isolator Manifold. I am going to go ahead and to "Doubles Clinic" offered by my LDS.

You will spend a pile of cash,and carry around a lot more heavy gear to do dives that are easily done with a single tank.

Makes no sense to me.

Eventually the dives will be deeper and get longer and training will continue. So getting myself ready and set-up for the future. I want to have the equipment and use it and be comfortable with it before going into a class that requires it and not having experince with it. Plus having the Extra air and ability to solve problems is nice. We do carry Aluminum 40's also but the safety is nice. Also @ 60' diving Nitrox Air would be limiting Factor not the NDL, So I would rather limit my dive Based off NDL not a limit of my remaining air.

Makes no sense to me.

Personally, I'm looking for redundant gas when I solo and to spend more time alone underwater taking pictures.

The expense and weight are two of the reasons I choose IDs, until I put them together on a BC they are just 2 tanks that can be handled like single tanks. I use 72 LP steel as that's what I had 2 of, bought a used reg on Ebay had it serviced. The bands I had from when I dove the pigtailed tanks. My ID's stand me about $100.00 the reg and some SS hardware to mount the bands to my BC. Not a big outlay of money for me anyway.

I've doubled my gas supply, increased my bottom time, safety and given myself several other options for very little money. The fact that its outside the mainstream is just a bonus:wink:. I don't consider it as much problem solving I as I do experience enhancement. :thumb:

If you want more air for dives at 100' or above, go with a 100-130. I guess the bigger question is are the people you dive with also using doubles? Many times I will go out on dives with a 130 while the rest of the guys are wearing 80's or 100's. I only use doubles for dives at 120 or deeper. I see you want to use them in order to be ready for future training; however, do you see yourself wearing doubles on a regular basis for recreational dives? Remember your not just buying cylinders, the cost will add up for regs, harness, wing, and all the little things people like to add to their rigs. As far as the training curve, if you have a good instructor, you can get the basic idea in a day of repetative skills. Then its just doing these skills over and over until they are second nature. The biggest issue I have seen with people and new doubles is that they turn their left post in the wrong direction while trying to shut it down. If you can remember "right tight left loose" you should be fine.:D

Thans for the info. They we will be used with an Isolator Manifold. I am going to go ahead and to "Doubles Clinic" offered by my LDS.

Eventually the dives will be deeper and get longer and training will continue. So getting myself ready and set-up for the future. I want to have the equipment and use it and be comfortable with it before going into a class that requires it and not having experince with it. Plus having the Extra air and ability to solve problems is nice. We do carry Aluminum 40's also but the safety is nice. Also @ 60' diving Nitrox Air would be limiting Factor not the NDL, So I would rather limit my dive Based off NDL not a limit of my remaining air.

Sounds like you already made your decision. The clinic may be a good way to get introduced to valve shut downs and other skills in the doubles.

IMHO after that, just dive them. If you have someone who is able to mentor you, all the better. When i first started out in doubles I took them everywhere. It was all recreational stuff, but it gave me time and experience in the gear. It allowed me time to learn the nuances of my gear, to master the buoyancy, and practice valve drills with my mentors. The advantage of this was when I did go do AN/DP the gear was a non-issue. It made the class a lot easier for me. just my .02

Back
Top Bottom