Diving, Fitness, Obesity and Personal Rights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Having a lift could raise liability risk substantially. The presence of the lift implies having a functional lift, capably implemented, is appropriate and passengers onboard have a reasonable expectation that this service exists on the boat, if needed.

My point is that if there is a boom on the boat to load gear, assist in salvage, and so on. Now if you had an emergency and had to use it for a purpose it was not intended for in order to save a life, I doubt if anyone would complain.

Bob

The lifts are always operated from the boat, not the lift. You get on it and nod to the deckhand/skipper and up you go.

The motor is an electric winch above which pulls the moveable frame upwards via a line.

The clearances are such that I don't think there is lubrication involved in the water. I am no expert of course, although I have spent some time staring at one from the water while stopping the muppet operators chopping off a line which jammed it.

The lifts are always operated from the boat, not the lift. You get on it and nod to the deckhand/skipper and up you go.

The motor is an electric winch above which pulls the moveable frame upwards via a line.

The clearances are such that I don't think there is lubrication involved in the water. I am no expert of course, although I have spent some time staring at one from the water while stopping the muppet operators chopping off a line which jammed it.
I see that on some lifts. I doubt the CG would approve such a lift, what, hanging a man by a cable? I personally would give the diver control of the lift by use of a hand hydraulic valve, and use a collapsible 4 or 5 stage cylinder that would retract into itself rather than trust any electric winch. That way you could design a safety whereby the diver must have his hands on the control valves rather than describing the great big fish and getting his hand cut off in a pinch point. I have a ton of hydraulics available.

See now, damn you!! you have me thinking about how I'd build one of these.

Sometimes, maybe usually, I need both my hands to hold on.

Surely you could set the cost of a 'research' trip to the uk against tax?

I guess it is fair to say that just as one standard of fitness requirements for Divers would not be fair or accurate for all situations then one method of rescue/retrieval won't work for all dive emergencies.

I find all of this talk of winches and boom lifts rather beside the point. If a boat operator can't conceive of a way to get a client back on board in the event of an emergency, then they should not accept that person's money as a client to take them diving. There's no need for government intervention or laws or "standards" ... it's a simple business decision.

What's next ... shall we ask the government to mandate the equipment and protocols we all use for diving? DIR, perhaps? It is, after all, a proven safe way to dive ... and since the proponents of such laws seem to feel it's in the best interest of "saving lives" ... then perhaps we can propose laws that exclude people who smoke, or perhaps require a fitness test before allowing someone to go diving.

Where shall we draw the line when it comes to mandating laws to help keep us safe from our lifestyle choices?

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Who needs a lift? Throw the wooden stretcher board overboard. Strap the diver to it. Angle one side up onto the boats railing, drag it up.

Like how one guy can stack new furniture by himself. Tip the dressers box back and get one corner up on the other dresser box, slide it up and on.

If a dozen divers can't lift one fat one, with a board and a rope and some deck cleats, the whole darn lot might need to forgo diving.

I'm sure the local fire department or police department would be more than helpful in donating their rubber dummys that look like Burt Reynolds for diver recovery practice.

Last edited:
Having just completed the rescue diver class( yes it was darn hard) I have a renewed understanding looking out for potential issues. There are numerous ways to retrieve an exhausted diver back onto a boat, this needs to be practiced though. We just don't do enough recurrent simulated practice.

To the point. Rope under the armpits work just fine.

Do I have an obligation now that I'm rescue certified? No, but morally I do......if I see something amiss, I'm gonna speak up. Besides, I'm from NYC. I have no filters:)

I'm all for personal rights and freedoms, but what about rights and freedoms of people that work in this industry to not get stressed by seeing you hurt or dead, and dealing with consequences.Yes, **** happens, but why is it OK to push limits with fitness/weight issues, but it is not OK to push limits with diving beyond your limits/training?
If I am at risk to be sued for not being able to get someone big out of water, should I put yours rights and freedoms to dive unfit over my right to dive without worries of being sued out of my life?
I know which one I'll choose.
they have that right. By not working in the industry.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom