Diving from a Jet Ski

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cbm369

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Does anyone dive from a Jet Ski? or seriously thought about it / looked into it?

This coming spring we have been planning on buying a nice kayak (Hobie Oasis), but lately I've been thinking about a jet ski. For another 2k or so, I can buy a new/nearly new jet ski that would also serve other uses. Just wondering about pros/cons when diving from a jet ski.

Thoughts?

I wouldn't, but someone posted a pic of them doing so in Florida...I believe he rode pretty far offshore...try the search function....I was happy to sell my jet skies.....boats are better :wink:

Does anyone dive from a Jet Ski? or seriously thought about it / looked into it?

This coming spring we have been planning on buying a nice kayak (Hobie Oasis), but lately I've been thinking about a jet ski. For another 2k or so, I can buy a new/nearly new jet ski that would also serve other uses. Just wondering about pros/cons when diving from a jet ski.

Thoughts?
The most glaring issue I see is anchoring the jet ski.... then there's probably another 100 reasons why it wouldn't be ideal. I wouldn't.

I've done it a few times in a lake.

A few considerations. It's difficult to have a surface tender who is willing to wait on the jetski and pay attention. Solo possible. Anchoring is challenging. Equipment storage and gearing up is challenging. Having it floating "abandoned" has nosy people bothering it.

Otherwise, they are fairly easy to use and are a fast way to get to a dive site.

Regards,
Cameron

I live on a lake. All boating season most of the jet-skiers that I see appear to have left their brains and common sense at the dock before they left. It sometimes gets dangerously crazy.
Now to the OP's question: I can't envision gear stowage while enroute to or from the dive site. Also, it would depend on how you are going to leave it while you're diving. I think it would limit your dive sites due to anchorage issues.
I've never done it so I'm not an expert or even experienced doing this. I just think it would be an awkward and a bit dangerous platform to SCUBA dive from. But what do I know.

Cheers - M²

Do not forget having to ditch most of your gear to get back on, a fin friendly ladder would be a challenge .

I dived off a Zodian inflatable for a while and we had lines and clips hanging over the side to clip weight belts and tanks off. We kept fins on to help getting out of the water far enough to roll into the boat.

Trying to climb over the stern of a PWC with fins on would be interesting at best, something else to ditch and tie off

All boating season most of the jet-skiers that I see appear to have left their brains and common sense at the dock before they left

You assume facts not in evidence, that brains and common sense were ever involved with these people.

I just think it would be an awkward and a bit dangerous platform to SCUBA dive from.

Considering I've dove off a canoe, among other floating objects, my opinion is probably not worth much.

Bob

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom