Diving in December

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MichelleG

Registered
Reaction score
I am looking for advice/recommendations if possible.

We have been diving in Mexico for the last 12 years and this December we are going to mix it up and go to Florida.

This year our travel plans are in December and I understand that even in southern FL water temps are going to be 76-77 ish (brrr) and weather can be an issue. Despite this, my husband really wants to go out.

When we dive in Mexico we only bring fins and masks and the dive shops in Mx are set up for that. Looking at dive shops in FL it looks like they are more geared towards people bringing their own gear/nitrox/or just snorkel.

So I am asking if anyone can recommend a place from say between Juniper to the Keys that will rent out all the gear?

On a side note if my husband could see shark(s) that would be a huge bonus as we have never seen a shark in all our years of diving in Mexico.

Thanks in advance.

Most, if not all shops you encounter in south Florida will be able to rent you full gear sets.

You want sharks....stay on the mainland. Unless nurse sharks and small reef sharks fit the bill, then the keys are great

You may get lucky to see lemon shark in late December in Jupiter: When is lemon shark migration in Jupiter?

When you say you never see shark in Mexico in December, do you mean the Eastern (Caribbean) side of Mexico like Cancun, Cozumel & Isla Mujeres? Have you been to the western side? Cabo Pulmo & Lapaz in the Sea of Cortez, Western side (Pacific) side of Mexico also would have a better chance to see sharks (including whaleshark) in December.

Virtually every shop rents gear: for sharks, stick to Jupiter. You're also likely to see turtles and goliath grouper too. Reef sharks (large and small) are pretty common in Jupiter, but Bulls and Lemons can be spotted. On my last dive before I moved to Atlanta, I had a Tiger cruise by, but that's the only one I've ever seen.

When I lived in Jupiter, I used to dive with Jupiter Dive Center (almost exclusively) every Saturday morning when marine conditions weren't bad and I didn't have family obligations. Other shops in the are include Stuart Scuba, Capt Sl8er, Scuba Works, etc: they all get high marks from SB'ers. These are un-baited drift dives so you'll only see sharks in a 'natural' setting: sometimes the sharks come to investigate, sometimes they don't. There is an operator that does shark feeding dives and the youtube videos are pretty impressive and somewhat daunting too. I've never been out with the operator and he's had a lot of bad press recently (lost divers, shark bites, etc.) But many people love the operator...... Emerald.

The Keys have prettier reefs and plenty of tropical fish. There are some sites where you'll see reef sharks, but I've not had a lot of luck on sightings when I'm down there (though nurse sharks are everywhere in the Keys).

As you note, December can have rough marine conditions, but the last few years I lived there, December was pretty good (e.g. 2015 and 2014)

Last edited:
Didn't know if I should do a separate thread since this one was starting to answer some of my questions. And perhaps @MichelleG and I can both benefit from your advice.

My husband and I are looking to go somewhere inexpensive in Florida (in December also). The best airfare from Minneapolis appears to be to Sarasota. I'm going to be very new (AOW Sep 17, 2017), and it will be my first ocean diving experience. Best suggestions for boat diving at that time, at my experience level, and with best reef/aquatic life? I heard some mention of dive ops out of Venice Beach area, but I wonder if we should stay further south. Thanks!

We have been going a little south of PDC. We love the dive shop in Paamul that this board recommended.

You may get lucky to see lemon shark in late December in Jupiter: When is lemon shark migration in Jupiter?

When you say you never see shark in Mexico in December, do you mean the Eastern (Caribbean) side of Mexico like Cancun, Cozumel & Isla Mujeres? Have you been to the western side? Cabo Pulmo & Lapaz in the Sea of Cortez, Western side (Pacific) side of Mexico also would have a better chance to see sharks (including whaleshark) in December.

On my last dive before I moved to Atlanta, I had a Tiger cruise by, but that's the only one I've ever seen.
I wonder if its the same one posted by Narcosis and Jeff Nelson on their Facebook pages yesterday. Just Wow! :)

Jeff Nelson

Last edited:
Key Largo is barely over 1 hour drive from Miami (MIA), and has very nice diving. I'm meeting some friends there again in early November. Although if you're talking about December as in the big holiday week I've heard the traffic down the keys is a much bigger problem.

8th - 17th Skipping Christmas week down there :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom