Diving in Kentucky??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ah yes,...... The "Yellow Brick Road" path. I've done that dive many, many times. You start at the Dolphin, work your way past the crusher hopper, the bicycle, the refrigerator, the white van, a couple of smaller cabin cruisers, a telephone & the fire truck, then up over the wall to the shallows. Nice dive, but yes, it is cold.

Never heard it called the "yellow brick road" but that's exactly the dive that I'm talking about. I've never been on the deeper half of it. Let's face it, it's as warm (cold) there as it's ever going to be. I just figure that if your going to do it, get cold and deep and work your way back to more civilized conditions. Worst case, if you or your buddy freeze your butt off you can ascend the wall until you can feel your fingers again and follow it until you get to the shallow toys.

Our guest, galscuba, has never been to the quarry. I also don't mind splashing around in 25' of water, in my thin wetsuit, no hood or gloves, carrying half the lead, and seeing the bus, RV, firetruck, van's, ect. As a matter of fact, I still want to see the UFO, Wally and I looked for it but never found it. It's only supposed to be at 20' or so. I'm just throwing out some ideas to her.

This is backwards to the dive planning that I've been taught but in some ways, it makes more since to dive shallow first, before the shallows get silted, and see that stuff. Then go deeper on the next dive.

It doesn't matter to me, I'll have both suits plus a hood and gloves. I'll figure out the dive plan when I get there and dress appropriately.

I'm pretty open to whatever. I have a nice hooded vest and am used to diving in cold mud. :) I plan to do one dive for sure and possibly two. I feel guilty leaving my family to go diving since I'm only here for a short while, but I've gotta get my fix!

Hey, can someone please give me the physical address to Pennyroyal? I called yesterday, but they didn't return my phone call. I need something to plug into my GPS to get me there. :)

Tammy, you owe me a deco dive. :)

A couple of us are looking at coming down for the treasure hunt weekend.

Tammy, you owe me a deco dive. :)

A couple of us are looking at coming down for the treasure hunt weekend.

Yeah, Yeah, I know:shakehead:. Unfortunately I'm out for that weekend. That's one of those crazy 2/5 weekends I have to work:depressed:. I have to pay for my addiction somehow.... I'm on day shift that weekend. Plus even if I was off, because I'm a staff member, Dennis would put me to work that weekend. I'm off the next three weekends afterwards though......:eyebrow:

Bob, you ought to see how much cr@p I have in my car right now. 2 sets of thick undergarments, 2 sets of thin undergarments, a 2pc 7mm wetsuit (for someone else), thick hoods, thin hoods, thick gloves thin gloves, 2 sets of doubles, 3 AL63's I was requested to bring down, my O2 bottle, primary reel, cavern reel, my weight bag & also taking my rec gear in case someone needs it for some reason. Plus 1/2 my back seat for the birthday cake. That thing is a monster. I'm pretty much set up for cold or warm diving & all contingencies in between.

Bob, the UFO is to the left as you're facing out across the shallow shelf (old parking lot) by the north wall. It's kind of in the corner there about 20 ft out from the drop off into the shallow area. I tried to raise it last weekend, but it has deteriorated to the point you can no longer raise it with air. The air just seeps right back out. That's only the 3rd or 4th time I've ever found the UFO. It's a popular attraction, so expect it to be quite murked up there.

Last edited:
Hey, can someone please give me the physical address to Pennyroyal? I called yesterday, but they didn't return my phone call. I need something to plug into my GPS to get me there. :)

The address given on their web site is: 602 Christian Quarry Rd, Hopkinsville, KY 42240. Depending on where you're coming from, one of the easiest ways to find it is to get on the Pennyrile parkway. The quarry is right off of exit 9. Here is a very local map to it.

Attachments

• Map of Pennyrile Parkway to Quarry.doc
    26 KB · Views: 59
Well that sucks about the UFO deteriorating. Could it be repaired if it was brought out. I might be willing to bring a lift bag and see what could be done.

Not sure what my schedule will be like for the next couple of months. Wednesday starts hot air balloon season.

I didn't poke or prod the thing but, it looks like two 10' satellite dishes bolted together. The mesh screen being perforated will rust out over time.....

If any of you have the chance to dive with galscuba, do it. She's a great diver (and pretty too).

We did a 64 minute dive and had a blast. We were the first two divers in the water so it hadn't been silted up yet. We had good vis and temp as long as we stayed above 30' We never made it to the RV but other than that, we saw about all of the toys in the shallows.

After a burger and a 2 hour SI, I did a second dive after she left but the vis was no where near what it was on that first dive.

(note to self, get there early and get in quick if you want good vis)

Back
Top Bottom