diving in La Jolla

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SBDeadly

Registered
Reaction score
hey all!

I'm going to be in La Jolla, San Diego between oct 3 - 9 and I'd like to get my Advanced open water cert. I've been calling around to dive shops but I guess they don't update their web pages very much because 99% of the phone numbers I've called have been disconnected.

Can anyone suggest a good dive shop in the La Jolla area?
I'm an open water SSI certified diver with about 50 dives under my belt. Most of them are in Monterey, CA. Nice cold water.

Thanks!
Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
While I don't have San Diego information, I would like to point out that your post has me confused. You have an Open Water Cert through SSI, and you want another Open Water Cert? Or were you looking for an some sort of advanced or specialized training?

I just missed your point.

Secondly, there is a very active portion under SoCal Kelp divers that would probably help you out.

Mods: would you move this post? Thank you.

Not sure about that far south...I know Laguna Sea Sports and Beach Cities Scuba have shops up the coast a bit. Probably can find an instructor that will make the commute. You can google them for the number.

There used to be two SSI shops in San Diego, but one shut down last year (SDUA) and I just found out the other one (Diving Locker) is in the process of shutting down, too. Kinda sad, both were good shops. Tough times.

OEX is a block or two from the south end of LaJolla Shores. OEX | Scuba Diving

afaik that's the only diveshop in that immediate area. They're PADI.

There's also a Sport Chalet in University Town Center nearby. They're also PADI.

What type of class are you looking for? You have OW and you want OW???? If I know what you are looking for, I can put you in touch with the right people.

sorry about the typo in my original post. I have SSI open water and I am looking to get my Advanced Open Water cert.
I contacted Sports Chalet yesterday and they said the AOW cert takes 2 weeks! But maybe I could do a private class for an extra $250. I'm waiting to hear back from them.

But I'm not sure it'll work out because they are a PADI shop and I'm certified SSI. Anyone know how that works?

Thanks again,
D

sorry about the typo in my original post. I have SSI open water and I am looking to get my Advanced Open Water cert.
I contacted Sports Chalet yesterday and they said the AOW cert takes 2 weeks! But maybe I could do a private class for an extra $250. I'm waiting to hear back from them.

But I'm not sure it'll work out because they are a PADI shop and I'm certified SSI. Anyone know how that works?

Thanks again,
D
The PADI/SSI thing won't be a problem at all, as long as you have your SSI Open Water card with you.

The AOW course typically involves some time in the classroom and pool, and then 5 dives over at least two days. That's why it's spread out over a couple of weeks.

Since you're only going to be in town for a few days, you'll probably need to pay for a private course. Most of Sport Chalet's instructors have other full-time jobs, so they may not be able to accommodate your very tight schedule. If that's the case, I second the suggestion of contacting Waterhorse Charters and talking to Greg.

I would be happy to do your AOW cert with you. Take a look at my website for details: Ocean Explorers

The only issue we may have is that I require a boat trip for 2 of the dives and getting a trip on the boat I use over those dates may be a challenge. If you are interested give me a call or PM.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom