Diving in Oahu - beginning w/ Open Water

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dpw1

New
Reaction score
My two sons and I have our open water certification. We are beginning divers. We would like suggestions for diving in Oahu. Please recommend a dive shop that would likely meet our needs. Thanks.

dpw1:
My two sons and I have our open water certification. We are beginning divers. We would like suggestions for diving in Oahu. Please recommend a dive shop that would likely meet our needs. Thanks.

When we went to Hawaii with our Open Water Cert we went to the dive shack and took the AOW course which turned out to be cheaper to get the AOW then paying for all of the dives, because dives are included in the class. You can call them at 808-949-3483 Tony is a real nice guy. Normally they take you out in small groups and they offer free pickup and drop off at your hotel...Had a blast..

I would recommend a dive at Sharks Cove. It is not too deep and I went with Stuart from Deep Ecology out of Haleiwa. They were very good and know what they are doing. While you are there, after the dive, you MUST stop at Matsumotos shave ice. It is a "culture" of shave ice eating. Get it with ice cream at the bottom for a special treat. My favorite flavor is Lilikoi.
If you have other questions, please let me know!
Coconutgirl

See in Sea Scuba...

Great people, dove with the owner's the manager and one of the instructors (5 of the staff actually) on 3 days and 1 night dive...

Smaller boats, catered to where my wife and I wanted to dive..

We dove: Baby Barge, Corsair, Sea Tiger (Night), then requested to go back to the Sea tiger for a day dive on Friday... Reefs followed the wreck dives on all but the night dive..

Great group of people, highly recommended. They will pick up / drop off at the hotel as well..

http://www.seeinsea.com/

Has anyone had any experience with Waikiki Dive Shop?

goofystan:
When we went to Hawaii with our Open Water Cert we went to the dive shack and took the AOW course which turned out to be cheaper to get the AOW then paying for all of the dives, because dives are included in the class. You can call them at 808-949-3483 Tony is a real nice guy. Normally they take you out in small groups and they offer free pickup and drop off at your hotel...Had a blast..
Sorry to say the Dive Shack is no longer. Reef Treckers is now working out of that location.

I'd say pretty much all dive ops offer pick up service, which is included.

Call around, talk to the people - if you feel good talking to them I'm sure you will have a good time

I have dove with Waikiki Divers, the new owners have it about a year and a half now. The guys were very nice and fun to dive with.

Id have to second both the AOW route as well as See in Sea. Sharks cove is good but my GF feels Three tables just down the road is better. She is not real big into rock climbing in scuba gear I guess.

Wildcard:
Sharks cove is good but my GF feels Three tables just down the road is better. She is not real big into rock climbing in scuba gear I guess.

Amen to that. Once you start the dive Shark's Cove is fine - but I don't care for picking my way out among the rocks. When it gets crowded, you have to watch out for all the people snorkeling (and not looking anywhere but straight down as they zoom from here to there). And somehow people just seem to want to set all their stuff down right in the middle of the clearest pathway back to the car.

Back
Top Bottom