Diving in Okinawa?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
I am beginning to think of a 3 day diving adventure in Okinawa at the end of April.

Any help regarding the following would be helpful;

1. Is diving good here? Any not to be missed sites/places?
2. Water temps and conditions end of April?
3. Dive operators to recommend?
4. Places to stay and reviews?
5. Anything else to do in Okinawa?

Thanks!!!!

Okinawa has awesome diving ranging from reefs to wrecks, no current critter dives to fast paced drift dives with turtles, sharks and other large critters depending on your experience and what you enjoy. Okinawa is famous for macro critters with 100's of species of nudibranchs, shrimp, crabs and other of the little guys found in the ocean but we also have manta's, turtles, sharks and the large stuff also. We also have quite a few wrecks to explore in the area also. By end of April water temps will be in the low-mid 20's - we are at 19-21C now and temps will start to climb in April. Depending on your interests there are numerous top side attractions in Okinawa also- fishing, museums, WWII history, local crafts, hiking, caving and much more. For places to stay most of the diving is located from the mid island to further north. Do not stay in Naha - just another big city in Japan. If you would like more info send me a PM.

I am actually also looking at diving Okinawa beginning of May, I'm also curious as to wether there are any other sites or areas to check out, as well as recomendations for dive shops and places to stay , I am also open to any other suggestions for diving in the Japan area of the Globe, I'm in Tokyo the last week of April, live in Canada and am thinking that while I am there, I should take advantage of the opportunity and tag on a week of diving, So any related inofmation would be greatly appreciated, I woudl say within a 3 hour flight of Tokyo.

I am beginning to think of a 3 day diving adventure in Okinawa at the end of April.

Any help regarding the following would be helpful;

1. Is diving good here? Any not to be missed sites/places?
2. Water temps and conditions end of April?
3. Dive operators to recommend?
4. Places to stay and reviews?
5. Anything else to do in Okinawa?

Thanks!!!!

Hey Diving! I will be in Okinawa at the end of April also and I'm looking for a diving buddy. I'm going down with a friend, but they don't dive. If you're interested drop me a line; what days are you going to be down there exactly?

Hi Matt....I'll be in Okinawa and have "booked" 3 days of diving with Reefencounters April 21, 22 and 23. Come along....send me a PM for more.

Thank for the information; however, it turns out I'll be down on the 26th-30th.... I'm planning to do some island hopping by Ferry after that for move dives :).

Too bad though, I would have loved the company.

Thanks anyway.

Matt you can hook up with us as we dive daily and always have an extra buddy or two hanging out at the shop.

Okinawa has awesome diving ranging from reefs to wrecks, no current critter dives to fast paced drift dives with turtles, sharks and other large critters depending on your experience and what you enjoy. Okinawa is famous for macro critters with 100's of species of nudibranchs, shrimp, crabs and other of the little guys found in the ocean but we also have manta's, turtles, sharks and the large stuff also. We also have quite a few wrecks to explore in the area also. By end of April water temps will be in the low-mid 20's - we are at 19-21C now and temps will start to climb in April. Depending on your interests there are numerous top side attractions in Okinawa also- fishing, museums, WWII history, local crafts, hiking, caving and much more. For places to stay most of the diving is located from the mid island to further north. Do not stay in Naha - just another big city in Japan. If you would like more info send me a PM.

Good to know. I have often mulled visiting Okinawa for some diving on my business trips to the Far East. Next time I am close I may drop you a PM if that is OK?

When you are in the area let me know!

There are TONS of dive sites in Okinawa. I've been stationed here for a few years now and I try to dive a new place area every time. It all depends on your experience as to what I would recommend. You have the Sunabe sea wall, mostly for beginners, but is always a nice quick dive spot. Average depths are around 45 feet. As you head north the dives sites increase, especially on the west side of the island. There's Maeda Point and Maeda Flats, tho they are closed quite often due to very strong currents. Bolo point is awesome just very difficult to get in and out of the water. There's the "Toilet Bowl" (go ahead and laugh) but its one of the bet dives I've found on island (from shore). You gotta watch your depth there tho as you can quickly find yourself at 120'+. The water's visibility is normally around 50'+ depending on how recent a storm has rolled thru. If you have further questions please feel free to contact me. Enjoy your stay on Oki, it's a GREAT dive stop.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom