Diving in Okinawa?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There are TONS of dive sites in Okinawa. I've been stationed here for a few years now and I try to dive a new place area every time. It all depends on your experience as to what I would recommend. You have the Sunabe sea wall, mostly for beginners, but is always a nice quick dive spot. Average depths are around 45 feet. As you head north the dives sites increase, especially on the west side of the island. There's Maeda Point and Maeda Flats, tho they are closed quite often due to very strong currents. Bolo point is awesome just very difficult to get in and out of the water. There's the "Toilet Bowl" (go ahead and laugh) but its one of the bet dives I've found on island (from shore). You gotta watch your depth there tho as you can quickly find yourself at 120'+. The water's visibility is normally around 50'+ depending on how recent a storm has rolled thru. If you have further questions please feel free to contact me. Enjoy your stay on Oki, it's a GREAT dive stop.

I am Kamakazi98 frequent dive buddy and I concur. I have dove, North Carolina, Florida, Hawaii, Guam, Siapan, Thailand, Philippines, and Palau...and I always compare the diving back to Okinawa. Okinawa has nearly 100 sites you can dive from shore. I have put all of these dive sites (nearly 500 sites) for easy access on www.hotdive.com so that they are easy to find.

Hello there,

I have just come back from Okinawa.

I have dived in the Kerama islands and the visibility was wonderful as well as the maritime life!

have fun,
peace,
c.

I'm somewhat bringing this thread back from the dead so i apologize. I've been on island about 8 months (on a 2 year tour). finally got time to get in the water 3 weeks ago. anyways. I've been to a couple great sites already (maeda, toilet bowl, horseshoe). i'm really interested in going out to some WWII sites like i've seen. I also want to do some river diving too.

Me and the wife are heading out to OKI in a few days (stationed in PH) be out there for 2 weeks of diving/eating, and getting the rigors of deployment out of the system...looking for divers that want to meet up and what not. reach me at grandizer52@yahoo.com
we'll be hitting up some of the other islands along with freediving. been diving for a "LONG" time so don't worry about experience level, same with wife...I know I know we have all heard this before. I got my cert in new england in the winter...looking forward to hearing from you all
laytahs
steve

Hopefully you will be here after Tuesday - big typhoon will pass by the island tomorrow night. We should be diving again by Wednesday though. We have daily boats heading out to the islands for some great dives. Tank rental on the seawall is easy and some great dives. Where will you be staying while here?

Japan diver,
sorry totally forgot about this post. we are staying at kadena, we been shore diving, cause my mental clock is still on deployment time...so we'd get tanks super early, then crash and dive at late night, or at sunrise. now that i'm sleeping human hours...when can we dive with you?
laytahs
steve

We have boats running to the Keramas every day this week - seats open each day right now. Call me at 090-1940-3528.

i'll swing by the shop this afternoon...might stay an extra day or 2 to get a couple of more dives in. missed a day due to headache...the diving here is better than hawaii, "BUT" i'm not sure I want to tell anyone (hehehehe).

well...don't have much of a face left due to trying to dive it off, and a clown fish at toilet bowl biting it..way better that hawaii!!!

Thanx again to everyone that helped the wife and i on such short notice, had ablast, and was great meeting you all
steve
drop me a e- if your heading to hawaii

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom