diving in the DC area?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DA Aquamaster

Directional Toast
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I am accepting a promotion to a job in Washington DC and have never been there before. One of the appeals of the move is to be closer to be able to go wreck diving on a regular basis and without having to fly 2000 miles so I am very interested in the opportunities for wreck diving in the area. I am thinking mostly day trips and weekends.

Also given that my priorities have been screwed up since the day I started diving, where do I want to live in the DC area for the best access to dive sites and weekend charters. Maryland? Virginia?

Along that line, any suggestions as to where to find decent rentals and neighborhoods in Maryland or Virginia within 30 minutes of SW DC? (I will be working across the street from the Air and Space museum.)

I will try to help you, are you talking 30 minutes with traffic or without? Traffic is terrible here esp if your going into DC. My wife is a social worker in SW DC, if you want PM me some price ranges (rent) and I will try to keep you out of the worse areas. Also if you come out this way and need a hand drop me a line.

Can't really help with dive sites though, as I am a newbie and don't know myself.

DA Aquamaster:
I am accepting a promotion to a job in Washington DC and have never been there before. One of the appeals of the move is to be closer to be able to go wreck diving on a regular basis and without having to fly 2000 miles so I am very interested in the opportunities for wreck diving in the area. I am thinking mostly day trips and weekends.

Also given that my priorities have been screwed up since the day I started diving, where do I want to live in the DC area for the best access to dive sites and weekend charters. Maryland? Virginia?

Along that line, any suggestions as to where to find decent rentals and neighborhoods in Maryland or Virginia within 30 minutes of SW DC? (I will be working across the street from the Air and Space museum.)
There are several places closer than 2,000 miles but no good wreck diving in your back yard. The closest sites to DC are quarries. Millbrook is about an hour away, then Dutch Springs in PA is about 3 hours, and Lake Rawlings in VA is 3 hours also (but in the opposite direction). There are also some sites in West Virginia, but I don't know what they are...one of them has "storm" in the name though. I think the closest wreck diving would be VA Beach...Ocean City may be about the same distance (or a little closer) but I haven't really looked into the diving there as much. There is also supposed to be good wreck diving in NC, but that might be best suited for a long weekend. If you are the type of person that likes to dive every weekend, living in VA would put you closer to Millbrook...although most people prefer to Dive at Dutch Springs or Rawlings, so at point choice of residence doesn't matter so much.

On a non-diving note, I would never want to live in D.C.--terrible traffic at any time of week or day, no parking, no backyards. I work in D.C. and live about 45 minutes away in Sterling, VA. Nice Suburban area, plenty of parking everywhere you go, minimal traffic (although it gets worse every year) and the best of all, we live on 4.5 acres (which is a lot in this area). Not to mention it is probably at least twice if not three-times more expensive to live in D.C. then the surrounding areas. So you need to decide what you value more-lifestyle or commute.

One piece of advice-If you decide to move to the outskirts...do NOT live anywhere where you have to commute on I-95. It is the worst road ever. When I drive to work at 5:15 am I hear the same thing every day "all roads are open with no back up except for volume delays on 95 starting starting at Dale City and the Prince William Parkway." I always feel back for them-traffic at 5:00 am! No Thank You.

DA Aquamaster:
Certainly your best wreck diving will be on weekends down to the NC OBX, especially around Morehead City. If you like history, there are a number of U-boats in the NC area as well as the U-1105 off of Piney Point in St. Mary's County in MD. I know that at least one dive shop out of Northern VA does charters out to her although I have yet to have the pleasure.

In NC, the most popular U-boats for divers are the U-352 and U-85. More recently the U-701 has been discovered although I don't know of regular charters going out to her.

There is a NC/VA coastal map showing the general locations for the U-521 , U-548 and U-576 off of the coast of Virginia but I have not read that they have been located. The U-576 has been reported to be 550' deep off of Hatteras and apparently divers attempted to dive this boat in 1994 but were unsuccessful.

Hey DA,

You have two threads going with basically the same query, and as I'm the only guy who responded to the other one, thought I'd move my response to this thread and cancel the other thread. Let me know if you'd prefer to keep both threads open!

Come see me when you get here!

The DC area is like almost any other...pros and cons. With respect to living and renting, be prepared for a coronary. There are lots of rental units within 20-30 minutes of downtown DC (depending on whether traffic is gridlocked or not). Most of them will run you around $2500 - $5000 per month, with covered parking and utilities included. A townhouse inside the beltway without an attached garage may run you $450,000 to $600,000 if its right on the Metro. If you want an attached garage, add $100-200K. A decent sized house with a decent sized yard, within 30 minutes of downtown DC, varies - say $1.2 to $1.4 million for any size yard, to start. Take a look online. Try 'Vienna, VA'. Use the Pentagon as a center and extend outward, checking prices on, say, 2,400 to 3,400 square feet, garage included. Holy Heartattack! PM me with specific questions and I'll try to vector you in...

As Emily noted above, one major decision is "commute toleration": if you're willing to commute around 1.2 to 1.4 hours per day (each direction) you can take the train into DC and live a reasonably laid back life in one of the outer suburbs for a more reasonable cost. If you want to be 2 metro stops from the White House, stand by for sticker shock. [You really do not want to drive into work in DC each day. Trust me on this one. You want to take the Metro or a train. You are looking for a place that is conducive to either getting to the Metro each morning, or getting to a train station. Driving in will make you old before your time...] Obviously, the more you bring to the table, the more options you're going to discover.

(There may be a couple other things you wanna consider also, depending... Occasionally the number of bad guys shooting folks causes the local DC police chief to declare crime emergencies, which allow him to cancel vacations, double police on shifts, and generally carry on with sound bites, photo opportunities, and high drama in the city council. If you are of the opinion that shooting back may be desirable, then you don't want to live in DC proper or Maryland. The local gendarmes in these locales frown upon your exercising your second amendment rights, and may spank you harshly if you survive an intermural firefight by shooting back. If you desire a more civilized manner of dealing with miscreants who have the temerity to point guns at you, consider making the Commonwealth of Virginia your new home. The Virginia gendarmes possess no more sense of humor than their DC cousins, however, they in fact have a more tolerant and enlightened perspective regarding gun control. In Virginia, 'gun control' means being able to reliably hit what you aim at.)

On the other hand, you don't need to worry about which side of town puts you closer to the diving locations. Getting out of town in DC is an art form. Getting back in on a Sunday evening in summer is even more so. Bring snacks and drinks in a cooler. There is basically one highway heading north, one kinda east, 66 heading west, and 395/95 heading south. You and roughly the population of South Jersey will be trying to leave the city simultaneously on any given time of any given day. When you get here I'll show you locations, routes, and rough travel times, (rough because you might decide to get a wild hair and get up at 3AM to get out of town, in which case your travel times will be reduced rather significantly...)

There are basically two quarries in reasonably close vicinity of the location you specified. One is out in Haymarket, approximately 50 min to 1 hour from, say, the Pentagon, depending on traffic. The vis sucks and there are issues, however, it allows you to dive in the morning and do other stuff in the afternoon.

The nicer quarry is, of course, about 3 hrs 20 min from, say, the Pentagon. More info here:
http://www.lakerawlings.com/

Mt. Storm, to which Emily referred above, is a natural lake at altitude in West Virginia. It is also 3.5 hours from the location you specified or more. It's primary advantage, IMHO, is that it is the both the intake and outflow of the cooling system for a power plant up there, which keeps the water at about 65 degrees F in the winter. When everything else is shut down for the winter, you can go winter diving in Mt. Storm (weather permitting - Mt. "Storm" - get it?) and not freeze your weezle! :wink: Other than that, unless you live close there are other options with better vis.

In terms of ocean wreck diving, you also basically have two choices: cold, dark, and comparatively sterile; or warm, clear, and teeming with countless forms of life.

Cold and dark, etc. is about 3.5 hours either towards Ocean City, MD or Virginia Beach, VA (from the same point of origin as above). Historic wrecks either way, of course, and countless examples of same, but the environmental parameters vary significantly. Warm and clear is about 7.5 hours south, to Morehead City or Beaufort, North Carolina. Unfortunately, there is no free lunch here. There are a number of boat operators, I'll point out those with whom I'm familiar. This place is a bit different than most with respect to offshore operations, but on a truly good day, IMHO, the coast off North Carolina offers world-class diving - superior to most vacation destinations that divers more frequently fly to. On a truly good day.....

There are about 7 or 8 dive shops scattered around the area. They meet quasi-regularly and agree with one another on some things (but not others), so you won't find tremendous differences in prices or requirements. Some I like and others I avoid, same as anything else. I'll locate those with whom I've had dealings either way and you can make up your own mind.

PM me when you get into town. It's an interesting place, and I wish you good fortune with your new job.

Regards,

Doc

With regards to choosing where to live in the DC area, commuting convenience should be balanced with quality of life. I have lived in the city (DC) and in several VA and MD suburbs. If you are only here temporarily and have no kids to accommodate, I’d move in to the city in a heartbeat. I’d recommend looking in either the MD or VA suburbs if you plan to stay for a while and buy. If looking in MD, you may want to consider Montgomery County.

There is some really good ocean diving within 3 to 4 hours from our area - Ocean City, MD or VA Beach and just a little farther north gets you to New Jersey diving. I have done both OC and VA Beach as day trips from Rockville, MD. This is not warm water diving and a good day has about 40ft of vis - 15-20ft would be more average. There are lots of good wrecks right off our shores. Off MD, you can dive an almost WWI US sub - the S-5 went down in 1920 on her maiden voyage as well as a variety of shipwrecks dating back to the 1800s in depths from 35’ to 200+’. If you like really low vis diving, there is also the U-1105 - MD's very own shipwreck preserve. Out of VA Beach, there are just as many, if not more, great shipwrecks. There is no need to go too far for ocean diving if you can take water temps in 50s - which is warmer than most of the local quarries at depth anyway. There are several NJ boats that are just as close as VA Beach and they open up a whole new batch of shipwrecks. If you want warmer water and prettier fish to go with your wrecks, NC is within driving distance (usually 6 hours from my place in Rockville to Morehead City, NC), but it is ridiculous to suggest that you have to go that far for good wreck diving.

The quarries have been well covered by others, but I see no reason (other than convenience or classes) to dive there when we are so close to the ocean.

YMMV,

Jackie

david.howe@maritimehistory.org

E-mail this person. He goes out every weekend. Now... don't go if you don't like 1 foot viz. This time of year the viz is better. This weekend he's diving the bay ( that means 80 to 130 foot range. It's free.... no cost. But, you are volunteering for IMH. Anyone is welcome. They are maping and finding uncharted wrecks. But, they also maintain the already found wrecks such as the u-1105.

If we want better vis....we go donw to NC. We dive mostly with discovery but have also dove with cape fear divers. Both are good companies.

Come on down to Va. Beach for some good diving anywhere from 70 fsw to 200 fsw. We have some really good wrecks & it really isn't as bad as been described. I know people who dive wet all year. I have a new drysuit so I am not 1 of them anymore.
I have nothing against NC diving & go to Nags Head a couple times a month & points further south as in Morehead City/ Beaufort or even further Wilmington. All very good areas to dive with some LARGE Sandtiger sharks. About every other month.
But these (with the exception of Nags Head) require a weekend trip.
Our 2 main ops here that run charters are http://www.ldcscuba.com/ & http://www.divequarters.com/

I bailed out of the area 15 years ago and traffic was awful then...i had staff in downtown dc who did the 95 commute from Dale City and had to be on the road no later than 5:10 am to ensure a 7 am arrival. If they left at 5:30 they got there at 9.

metro works pretty well if you can get to it.....I live walking distance which was good. there is a metro stop near air and space.

I live 2 hrs away in WV now. There are people on my street who do the 2 hr train commute, but most of them can't handle it for long. The low cost of real estate was a real bonus but it's not cheap here anymore.

good luck!

For info on diving check www.atlantisrangers.org. Club runs wreck diving trips to NJ, MD, VA, NC etc. Working in DC with an interest in diving, I suggest moving to middle Anne Arundel or PG counties - out Rt 50 into MD (not Rt 50 into VA!) toward Annapolis. You'll have a choice of public transportation to get into work and be close enough to the ocean to make day trips for diving. Also you'll be convenient to Rt 301 south to get to NC without getting stuck in northern VA traffic. You'll be near the Chesapeake Bay. I can't recommend it for recreational diving but there are lots of opportunties to get invovled in oyster reef restoration, underwater archaeology, etc.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom