diving in the DC area?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Do most of the DC people go to Millbrook (I think that is the one up near ?Fairfax? or Rawlings?

I'm in Norfolk/Virginia Beach, so Fantasy Lake outside of Raleigh is 4 hours away or so. Another spot I haven't checked out.

Unfortunately our housing costs down here in Hampton Roads isn't much better than DC. If I wasn't at my current job (which actually is good), I would most likely look at the DC metro area as there are better job opportunities in the tech industry. Heck, I will be visiting DC soon enough regularly building out a rack in a data center, since the business internet infrastructure in Hampton Roads (Norfolk / Virginia Beach) is so weak.

Do most of the DC people go to Millbrook (I think that is the one up near ?Fairfax? or Rawlings?

I'm in Norfolk/Virginia Beach, so Fantasy Lake outside of Raleigh is 4 hours away or so. Another spot I haven't checked out.

Unfortunately our housing costs down here in Hampton Roads isn't much better than DC. If I wasn't at my current job (which actually is good), I would most likely look at the DC metro area as there are better job opportunities in the tech industry. Heck, I will be visiting DC soon enough regularly building out a rack in a data center, since the business internet infrastructure in Hampton Roads (Norfolk / Virginia Beach) is so weak.

Personally, I do not go to Millbrook or anywhere else in the vicinity. I choose to go on trips for my diving. Getting certified at Millbrook back in the early 90s was enough for me!

One of my dive buddies from the DC area who meets up at Rawlings has given pretty grim reports on Millbrook. Horrible visibility, etc. I've often wondered if Fantasy Lake outside Raleigh is similiar to Millbrook, or more like Rawlings. Will have to do some research on it.

Would like to take a trip down to the keys sometime, but haven't had an opportunity yet.

Millbrook viz is pretty bad. I was there this weekend and it was about 8 feet. I've heard that it's been as bad as 2-3 feet at times.

You guys are looking at it all wrong. Get used to the 2-3 foot vis at millbrook, then you will appreciate the vis more when you travel and low vis situations wont end a days diving early. That said I miss the zebra mussels.

Tele,

Visits are arranged via the shops that have a lease agreement (not sure if Kathy's has a new lease). Bunch of folks from dive connections plan on being on hand weekly once the lease is finalized. Dive connections requires a DM or above associated to the shop be on hand when people are there through them.

No zebra mussels in fishersville that I have seen (been close to a year since i last dove there).

I will start a new post when I hear more on the lease.

John

Back
Top Bottom