Diving incident at Eagles Nest Sink

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Chris what's the longest exposure you've had in Fl?
Little over 4hrs.
I am not saying it is ideal by any stretch, I am saying that given no good choices that "may" not be the worst.

Look at the accident in the deep cave the other year in Sweden, the survivor who had really long unplanned deco was much, much colder than he would have been had that happened in Florida..by a lot.

I'm fact that accident at first blush seems to share some of the same possible factors here, stuck in restriction, extreme depth..

So, two deaths is preferable over getting cold? Yeah, I disagree especially since I do three hour dives in the same temps with NO exposure protection.
surely you see the differences between you and your dives and these guys and thei dive right?

Little over 4hrs.
I am not saying it is ideal by any stretch, I am saying that given no good choices that "may" not be the worst.

Look at the accident in the deep cave the other year in Sweden, the survivor who had really long unplanned deco was much, much colder than he would have been had that happened in Florida..by a lot.

I'm fact that accident at first blush seems to share some of the same possible factors here, stuck in restriction, extreme depth..
I assure you that the difference between 4hrs (and how much of that was deco?) and what these two guys were in to is profound.

Curious, how much deco time do you think these guys would have had if they had made it to their bottles?
surely you see the differences between you and your dives and these guys and thei dive right?
Cu

I assure you that the difference between 4hrs (and how much of that was deco?) and what these two guys were in to is profound.
Ok..assure me with math. We k ow how many cylinders of staged deco gas they had..regardless of how much deco they racked up by the extra time at depth, their deco gas supply would have still limited their deco. I think discounting that somebody would not survive over thermal reasons in this case is also speculation and not sure it is correct. I'm not so sure letting in enough water to not be uncontrollably positive may not be the worst choice...of no good ones

Why are you so certain? Honest question not challenge.

Curious, how much deco time do you think these guys would have had if they had made it to their bottles?
Cu

impossible to say without the computers but easily double your longest dive just in deco time

Cu
I don't really know as I have no idea how long they spent dealing with their situation, but it could exceed 8hrs pretty quick.

I can relate to a 90min bt I did at 285 and the rt was like 9.5hrs. In my mind they might have had something similar.

Ok..assure me with math. We k ow how many cylinders of staged deco gas they had..regardless of how much deco they racked up by the extra time at depth, their deco gas supply would have still limited their deco. I think discounting that somebody would not survive over thermal reasons in this case is also speculation and not sure it is correct. I'm not so sure letting in enough water to not be uncontrollably positive may not be the worst choice...of no good ones

Why are you so certain? Honest question not challenge.
Well it's for sure speculation. Speculation based off some experience doing long decos and shivering with an intact suit, 8mm hood, 400g thinsulate, and a baselayer.

I could tally up the gas totals and figure out how much time they'd have but it would be really really really cold and I would hypothesize that the deco would be wholly inadequate (due to the cold) resulting in some serious dcs. Combine that with the remoteness and it's just not going to end well.

impossible to say without the computers but easily double your longest dive just in deco time
Agree..if they could have, they didn't have the gas for 8 hours deco. But... Bent on the surface if they could have reached their deco gas. Again, no good choices.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom