Diving incident at Eagles Nest Sink

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I believe there is scope to donate to the IUCRR: contributing - IUCRR

I just emailed the treasurer to ask about paypal donations - that's how they are set up right now, they ask you to contact them by email. This might be a good time for them to stick a PayPal donation button on the website. Pretty easy to do.

Ken, Kristi... I am not sure if everyone understands the cost involved for all the volunteers who participated in this recovery. Maybe some folks here could demonstrate some good will, concern, or interest by throwing a few bucks into the hat to defray at least some of the monetary burden.

I for one would sure like to make a modest contribution.

Very kind, but we don't need it. Please if you are able...donate to help the family of one of these poor gentleman. My heart aches beyond words for them:

Click here to support P2 for Devrim Expense Fund by Freddie Arguello

When the first divers (Team 1 and Team 2) went in were they looking at this as a possible rescue or a recovery?

Why do these cave incident threads seem to always dissolve into confrontational posts and conflicting accounts?

Are we not just trying to learn lessons to help prevent other accidents?

Much sympathy to the families and friends.

Respect to the recovery teams.

Why do these cave incident threads seem to always dissolve into confrontational posts and conflicting accounts?

Are we not just trying to learn lessons to help prevent other accidents?

Much sympathy to the families and friends.

Respect to the recovery teams.

it's worse than ever lately

Reactions: mdb
Kristi, Thank you for posting the link to Peacock's wife's gofundme. Pat and I met about 12 years ago as instructors at the same dive shop. He was an amazing person, instructor, and diver. I can't believe it is him on the news. He is the last diver I would have ever imagined would die in a diving accident.

All, Thank you to all the divers and rescue/recovery teams who participated in this incident and every incident where we lose a fellow diver for whatever reason. I appreciate all of your time, effort, and wits. I thank your families for accepting (probably not willingly) that you go back out there, and risk your own life to retrieve the bodies of another, for their loved ones.

Also, thank you to everyone who posted any information in regard to the accident; the news does not describe things in terms that satisfy a diver's question of, "how did this happen?" in any meaningful way. The reports of the recovery teams, the videos of EN, and any other information that was provided this week on the thread here were helpful for me to understand what happened. I greatly appreciate it. Sometimes **** happens to good people who do the right things, and knowing him as I did, I am fairly sure they did all the right things. This is perhaps an example of how easily a small problem snowballs very quickly into massive trouble at that depth, on a complex dive. There is value in understanding what happened to them down there, no matter how quickly we get it.

At the end of the day, two more divers are dead and did not return to their family. Those were good divers, and they could have been any one of us, on any other given day. Let's be thankful, and respectful of one another. We are all people, let's treat each other that way.

Dive safe.

it's worse than ever lately
It may seem that way at times. :)

I don’t think the phenomenon is confined to cave diving forums, or scuba forums for that matter. A number of observers have commented on what is not infrequently referred to as a ‘bumper sticker mentality’ (Urban Dictionary: Bumper Sticker Mentality) approach to discourse. This approach requires the frequent use of invective, and the repeating of ’slogans’ or clichés, irrespective of whether they are reasonable, or contribute to a reasoned argument. It appears that we no longer can simply hold an opinion. We must shout that opinion at the top of our voices, because apparently volume is more important than substance. Some have argued that this reflects a level of dis-inhibition associated with the impersonal environment of the Internet. OK, that is quite possible. Others argue that this is a simplistic assessment, and the deeper issue is the absence of an ability of some to engage in competent cognitive discourse, or an unwillingness of some to even make the effort to offer informed comment (the ‘argument by laziness’ view). Extremist views seem to abound - the ‘If I am totally convinced that I am right, then it is obvious that others are wrong’ mindset (Extremist Argument).

In past times, the most readily available forum for expression of individual opinions was the ‘Letters to the Editor’ column in newspapers. However, submissions to these forums did undergo at least some scrutiny, and the more inane, offensive and inappropriate comments were not infrequently weeded out. As the evolution of radio, and then television talk shows progressed, extremism was no longer censored by rational and impartial editorials effort, but was actually encouraged by the hosts of the shows, because extremism enhanced ratings. Now, social media, and Internet forums have expanded the breadth of opportunity for these submissions. And, internet forums generally do not have the same level of scrutiny as newspapers, or even radio / TV talk shows, try as some forums may.

Nonetheless, we will continue to make the effort on SB to keep discussions on track, to limit the emotional diatribes, etc. We probably will not be entirely successful. And, one person's 'extremism' is quite possibly another person's 'courageous and incisive comment'. Nevertheless, we will continue to make the effort to promote reasoned discussion.

When the first divers (Team 1 and Team 2) went in were they looking at this as a possible rescue or a recovery?
I wasn't there when t1 went in, but by the time we (t2) went in we knew the deal. It had been like 14hrs since the deceased divers began their dive. With the resources they had there was no way they'd be found alive.

A WHOLE BUNCH OF HOGWASH

Shut up! You're stupid!!

Actually, those are all really excellent points. I have a friend who is really hot-stuff in industrial design and has been following some facets of this "conversation" on FB and has commented on how he hears the same sorts of arguments, even some of the same language in some of the design forums.

People are just people everywhere.

(And people are dumb as hell.)

he hears the same sorts of arguments, even some of the same language in some of the design forums.

People are just people everywhere.

Everyone thinks that they are awesome and important these days.

The overcompensation for this delusion is insults, aggression, and and even violence towards those not feeding or affirming their false ego. There are mobs centered around this behaviour.

Humanity has lost it's humility by thinking that it is better than it really is.

We are all irrelevant.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom