Diving is Not a Sport???!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hmmm, drunken, mountain road bull chasing? Now THAT is a sport! So, maybe if you're narc'ed, and chasing a bull shark with a DPV through a submarine canyon... Wow, this is getting complicated.

"Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games."

- Ernest Hemmingway

well, if I remember our class discussion in SPort Sociology with Dr Tuohey in 1975 it went something like:

Athletics is a sport or game where score is kept; training is done and skills need to be learned;

Sport is an activity that is not necessarily competitive but requires training and skills to perform;

Game is an activity that has rules that must be adhered to to successfully complete or compete; physical skills and training not necessary

Granted, thats a 31 year old memory, but I can remember that, and not what I had for breakfast this AM

Its a common misunderstanding to equate sport with competition. According to Webster's

Main Entry: sport
Function: noun
1 a : a source of diversion : RECREATION b : sexual play c (1) : physical activity engaged in for pleasure (2) : a particular activity (as an athletic game) so engaged in.

According to Wikipedia:

Sport is the term to describe physical games. It can be outdoor or indoor. A sport is a game, contest, or activity needing physical power and skill. A sport is usually played according to rules.

A Sport can be competetive but isn't necessarily so. Its a common misassociation of terms. What is generally understood to be a sport is an activity - physical in nature that requires a certain physical ability and skill to perform, competitive or not. Thus Scuba is a sport by its very nature of being such a physical activity requiring a certain set of skills and ability to perform. Other similar physical activities are also sports, ie: mountain climbing, rock climbing, cave exploring, sky diving, water and snow skiing, etc. A sport need not be a game or contest, it can be, but its not a requirement for the activity to be considered a sport.

For many, the term "competitive atheletics" is often what is refered to and thought of as sport but such a reference (while popular) is incorrect as a definition for sport itself.

I vote Sport.

For me a Sport is anything that I have to:

#1 Physically Train for (conditioning so I don't have a heart attack while scuba diving)

#2 Buy thousands of dollars worth of gear for

#3 Spend all day in sun for

#4 Exhaust myself doing (according to the calorielab website scuba burns 400-700 calories per hour depending on swim speed compared to Basketball=476, Soccer=612, Tennis=408, Football=544)

#5 Be proficient at (I am a million times better now than when I started in February - and getting better every dive - again more training)

So IMHO it's a sport - as much or more of a sport than non-exertion sports like fishing or sailing or golfing.

The competition is with yourself, am I improving, reducing your SAC rate, etc.

Doc Intrepid:
Uh, lets not delve too deeply into the logical fallacies in that argument.

Shooting is a sport. Skiing is a sport. Whitewater rafting is a sport. Hangliding and parachuting are sports. None require 'teams'.

Lets not forget Greco Roman wrestling and boxing. :D

For those defining sport with their own rules, here's the definition:

www.m-w.com dictionary search results for sport:
Main Entry: 2sport
Function: noun
1 a : a source of diversion : [SIZE=-1]RECREATION[/SIZE] b : sexual play c (1) : physical activity engaged in for pleasure (2) : a particular activity (as an athletic game) so engaged in
2 a : [SIZE=-1]PLEASANTRY[/SIZE], [SIZE=-1]JEST[/SIZE] b : often mean-spirited jesting : [SIZE=-1]MOCKERY[/SIZE], [SIZE=-1]DERISION[/SIZE]
3 a : something tossed or driven about in or as if in play b : [SIZE=-1]LAUGHINGSTOCK[/SIZE]
4 a : [SIZE=-1]SPORTSMAN[/SIZE] b : a person considered with respect to living up to the ideals of sportsmanship <a good sport> <a poor sport> c : a companionable person
5 : an individual exhibiting a sudden deviation from type beyond the normal limits of individual variation usually as a result of mutation especially of somatic tissue
synonym see [SIZE=-1]FUN[/SIZE]

Seems like the art of scuba diving fits definition 1a and 1c(1)... yup, looks like its called a sport. I'm certain that legal definiton is pretty similar. :popcorn:

"Hi, my name is Colin and I'm a professional drift diver! It takes a LOT of skill to drift at 60' for 60 minutes while coordinating the holding of my flag line and taking a pee.."

Here's to you professional beach diver!

if fishing ,hunting, free diving, golf , and chess are sports why wouldnt you constiter diving a sport some say by def. well diving is an out door activity that takes an effort to complete a task with a group of people and you can make a compition out of it if you want to treasure hunts a group of diver searching togeither to beet one another for some form of trophy

It's not a sport. It's a hobby. By that dictionary defination chess would be a sport. I really don't consider chess a sport.

i would say its a sport, but to me, its an activity and a hobby that i will always love

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom