Diving out of Cancun / Cenote Angelita / Double Tanks Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If that's the case then I won't bother with the doubles bands or wing, thanks for the information, it will make my travel luggage a lot lighter.

If you want to avoid the cattle boats, try Solo Buceo. I took my open water with them and dove with them the last two years. My friend has dove with them for nearly 20.

They operate next to Dreams in the Hotel Zone.

We've done quite a few dives (50 or so) in the Cancun area, and we always dive with Alvaro from AlwaysDiving.com. We've dove Angelita with him too. Angelita is a pit. What you see at 90FFW is a cloud. Angelita is a pit; there is no ongoing cave.
Alvaro runs a 6-pack boat. And from what I know of him and his experience, he'd be a great guy to do tech dives with too.

I've not dived Angelita, but I have The Pit at Dos Ojos - and the latter sounds more interesting. The 30 ft drop to splash was a hoot, a scenic hole with a lovely surface view, sulfuric acid cloud,* bones at 140 ft, and more. I carry my pony on every trip and almost every boat dive but didn't that day as I had no idea that we were going deep. :silly:

*Anyone know if that cloud is actually the dissolved hydrogen sulfide or the sulfur eating bacteria colony? I've heard both. You can see such in any pit that gets a lot of vegetation dropping in. I saw a little at Eden.

Dont know much about that one but if you dive dos ojos cenote in quintana roo, the max depth is about 30 feet. You will geta full hour of bottom time per tank even if going off the strict 1/3 in, 1/3 out, 1/3 reserve school

Nicolas's website says you can rent a set of doubles for $20.00, and a bp/w for $20.00. Makes travelling a lot lighter and you still get to dive doubles.

It really is not a problem at all to procure doubles in cave country. If you dive a BP anyway, rent a doubles wing and a set of tanks.

Although I know you said you had no interest in any of the other cave sites, but I hope your day of cenote diving includes a site other than Angelita. Getting a chance to see the light pouring in to the entrance at Grand, or the halocline effects at Taj, is well worth it, and you might find you like it more than you think. (My husband did!)

Do what you gotta do, but my God this all sounds like a lot of trouble for a 100 ft dive (all the good stuff is at 75-90 ft). I'd just stick with the DM and remember my emergency air is no farther away then he is. This isn't an overhead environment, it won't be dark, and there shouldn't be any danger or silting, the water will be so clear you won't even be able to tell you're in water, unless you hire a tech guide you're going to be on a recreational dive and subject to those limitations anyways.

Dove Angelita last month and it is more for the experience than what you see. You don't hit the sulfur layer until about 75-90 feet and it is dark going through it and dark below it so take lights. I believe all the quides have to be full cave certified and use doubles with long hoses so they are use to the setup. I don't think it would be an issue and the next time I go I will be wearing doubles. We dove with Dive Balam and had a great time with them.

We dove Cenote Angelita this year and really enjoyed it.
Since I brought my daughter we used Xilbalba dive center in Tulum and went with Richie. It was a great time and we really enjoyed ourselves.
The hydrogen sulfide layer was at 120'

I have a 12 year old camera so the video isn't all that great...
[video=youtube;qY5hy3ub89U]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qY5hy3ub89U&feature=channel_video_title[/video]

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom