Diving Sudan out of Egypt

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Is the Sudan safe?. I just got this on the BBC this morning.

Sudan tells peacekeepers to leave

The Security Council had hoped UN troops would replace AU troops
Sudan say the African Union (AU) force that is trying to keep the peace in Darfur must leave the country when its mandate ends later this month.
The demand comes amid growing concern about a week-old offensive by Sudanese troops in the remote western region.

A UN resolution passed last week, seeking to replace the weak AU peacekeeping force with 17,000 UN troops, was rejected by Khartoum.

The UN has warned of a new "man-made catastrophe" in war-torn Darfur.

Hundreds of thousands of people have died and millions been made homeless since 2003 in fighting between pro-government militia groups and rebels demanding greater autonomy.

Since they can't finish and proceed with their assignment in Darfur... we're asking them, please leave

Jamal Mohamed Ibrahim
Sudan foreign ministry

BBC Africa analyst Martin Plaut says the unexpected announcement by Khartoum is a sign that it now plans to settle the rebellion by military means.

The government says it will replace the peacekeepers with its own force of 10,000 soldiers to the region, but the UN and rights groups operating in the region have expressed alarm at this idea.

The AU brokered a peace accord in May, but it was signed by the government and only one of the three main rebel groups in Darfur.

Since then, the violence has intensified.

'Disingenuous'

AU soldiers are trying to police the region but they have a weak mandate, are under-resourced and number only 7,000 in an area the size of France.

Their current mandate was due to run out at the end of September and the government says it should not be renewed.

"It is not the decision of the Sudan. It is indicated before by the African Union itself. They said that by the end of September, they will not be able to continue with their assignment in Darfur," said Jamal Mohamed Ibrahim, spokesman for Sudan's foreign ministry.

"So we are just requesting now, since they can't finish and proceed with their assignment in Darfur, so it is up to them now to leave. And we're asking them, please leave."

Alex de Waal, a Harvard-based analyst who has been advising the AU on Darfur, describes that statement as "disingenuous".

He told the BBC the AU mission "specifically requested that the mission be handed over to the United Nations".

In July, however, the AU agreed to extend the mandate until the end of 2006.

An AU official told the AFP news agency that it had not been officially informed of Sudan's request and so could not comment.

The rebel Justice and Equality Movement said that the government's decision was unacceptable as it amounted to a clear breach of previous agreements.

'Confrontation'

Last week, the UN passed a resolution authorising a larger UN force to replace the AU troops at the end of their mandate, but the resolution required Sudanese consent - and has been strongly rejected by Khartoum.

President Omar al-Bashir described the call for a UN force as "part of a comprehensive conspiracy for confiscating the country's sovereignty" in comments reported by the Sudanese news agency Suna on Sunday.

Planeloads of Sudanese soldiers are now arriving in Darfur
"Our decision is decisive rejection [of the UN resolution], then preparation for the confrontation [with the UN forces]," Suna quoted him as saying.

Fresh Sudanese soldiers have been arriving in the region, and rights groups, AU officials and Darfur's rebel groups report that on 28 August a new offensive began, with reports of attacks on rebel-held villages in Darfur.

Khartoum has denied reports of bombing raids on villages, saying it is merely conducting "administrative operations".

Darfur refugees, rebels and the United States have long accused the Sudanese army of backing up the Arab Janjaweed militias in a "genocide" against the region's black African population.

Sudan has denied these claims and says the problems in Darfur have been exaggerated for political reasons.

Last week, the UN's humanitarian chief Jan Egeland warned that "a man-made catastrophe of an unprecedented scale" loomed within weeks in Darfur unless the UN Security Council acted immediately.

But analysts say sending a UN force to the region without Khartoum's consent would be a virtually impossible task - and few options now remain.

mislav:
Asser, how is diving in Sudan different from diving in Egypt, let's say Marsa Alam? I don't know much about diving in Sudanese waters except for that there's a Cousteau's Precontinent?
I didn't dive Sudan before. Maybe I'll do in 2007.
The Egyptian Red Sea has three main diving areas; Dahab, Sharm, and the south. You can't compare Dahab or Sharm to Sudan, as you can't compare apples to oranges.
Comparing Sudan to the southern Egyptian Red Sea, people say that Sudan has more and bigger species.

Red Sea Shadow:
That's what this thread is all about :)
By diving Sudan out of Egypt, you won't enter the Sudanese land, and I don't think one would be a target in a liveaboard :)

As I am not familiar with that part of the world I had to ask. Liveaboards how close to the shore do they come?, Indonesia comes to mind where liveaboards were boarded.
I am not usually overcautious (read paranoid) about traveling to remote places but I must admit after the article on the BBC news I would have to think hard on this one.
As it appears to be a very large area and the government doe's not appear to have the manpower to police it anywhere satisfactory.

Red Sea Shadow:
That's what this thread is all about :)
LOL! Right. With only me trying to hijack it into a Sudanese waters tour guide thread. :D

Thanks for your answer, Asser. I haven't been diving southern to Hurghada or Safaga yet. I suppose it's very much like Sharm diving minus the Thistlegorm. I'm looking forward to my first trip to Sinai in October!

I would also love to dive in Marsa Alam. I hear it's very nice. I'd love to see the dugongs! Hopefully, I might do it next year. Who knows, perhaps even with an incorporated trip to Sudan?...

cdiver2:
As I am not familiar with that part of the world I had to ask. Liveaboards how close to the shore do they come?, Indonesia comes to mind where liveaboards were boarded.
Liveaboards in the Sudanese waters are far enough from the land.

mislav:
LOL! Right. With only me trying to hijack it into a Sudanese waters tour guide thread. :D

Thanks for your answer, Asser. I haven't been diving southern to Hurghada or Safaga yet. I suppose it's very much like Sharm diving minus the Thistlegorm. I'm looking forward to my first trip to Sinai in October!

I would also love to dive in Marsa Alam. I hear it's very nice. I'd love to see the dugongs! Hopefully, I might do it next year. Who knows, perhaps even with an incorporated trip to Sudan?...
Have a nice trip in Sinai :)
Regarding other places in the Egyptian Red Sea, Safaga is really nice. Some dive spots there like Abu Kafan are considered a reduced version of the Brothers. Hurghada is not so interesting, IMHO. And the Thistlegorm is accessible from Hurghada as well :)
Marsa Alam is nice, especially if done as a liveaboard. Sudan trips out of Egypt also visit St. Johns, the most southern reef in the Egyptian waters.

cdiver2:
Liveaboards in the Sudanese waters are far enough from the land.
SORRY DOUBLE POST.

mislav:
Asser, how is diving in Sudan different from diving in Egypt, let's say Marsa Alam? I don't know much about diving in Sudanese waters except for that there's a Cousteau's Precontinent?

Better biodiversity of fish and coral in Sudan, better quantity of small reef fish and most noticeble of bigger schooling fish like barracuda, jacks etc. More sharks.
On a place like Sha'ab Rumi South (this is the Roman Reef, where Precontintent II was conducted) you can find almost every known fish speices in the Red Sea.

/christian

cdiver2:
Is the Sudan safe?. I just got this on the BBC this morning.

Sudan tells peacekeepers to leave

The Security Council had hoped UN troops would replace AU troops
Sudan say the African Union (AU) force that is trying to keep the peace in Darfur must leave the country when its mandate ends later this month.
The demand comes amid growing concern about a week-old offensive by Sudanese troops in the remote western region.

A UN resolution passed last week, seeking to replace the weak AU peacekeeping force with 17,000 UN troops, was rejected by Khartoum.

The UN has warned of a new "man-made catastrophe" in war-torn Darfur.

Hundreds of thousands of people have died and millions been made homeless since 2003 in fighting between pro-government militia groups and rebels demanding greater autonomy.

Since they can't finish and proceed with their assignment in Darfur... we're asking them, please leave

Jamal Mohamed Ibrahim
Sudan foreign ministry

BBC Africa analyst Martin Plaut says the unexpected announcement by Khartoum is a sign that it now plans to settle the rebellion by military means.

The government says it will replace the peacekeepers with its own force of 10,000 soldiers to the region, but the UN and rights groups operating in the region have expressed alarm at this idea.

The AU brokered a peace accord in May, but it was signed by the government and only one of the three main rebel groups in Darfur.

Since then, the violence has intensified.

'Disingenuous'

AU soldiers are trying to police the region but they have a weak mandate, are under-resourced and number only 7,000 in an area the size of France.

Their current mandate was due to run out at the end of September and the government says it should not be renewed.

"It is not the decision of the Sudan. It is indicated before by the African Union itself. They said that by the end of September, they will not be able to continue with their assignment in Darfur," said Jamal Mohamed Ibrahim, spokesman for Sudan's foreign ministry.

"So we are just requesting now, since they can't finish and proceed with their assignment in Darfur, so it is up to them now to leave. And we're asking them, please leave."

Alex de Waal, a Harvard-based analyst who has been advising the AU on Darfur, describes that statement as "disingenuous".

He told the BBC the AU mission "specifically requested that the mission be handed over to the United Nations".

In July, however, the AU agreed to extend the mandate until the end of 2006.

An AU official told the AFP news agency that it had not been officially informed of Sudan's request and so could not comment.

The rebel Justice and Equality Movement said that the government's decision was unacceptable as it amounted to a clear breach of previous agreements.

'Confrontation'

Last week, the UN passed a resolution authorising a larger UN force to replace the AU troops at the end of their mandate, but the resolution required Sudanese consent - and has been strongly rejected by Khartoum.

President Omar al-Bashir described the call for a UN force as "part of a comprehensive conspiracy for confiscating the country's sovereignty" in comments reported by the Sudanese news agency Suna on Sunday.

Planeloads of Sudanese soldiers are now arriving in Darfur
"Our decision is decisive rejection [of the UN resolution], then preparation for the confrontation [with the UN forces]," Suna quoted him as saying.

Fresh Sudanese soldiers have been arriving in the region, and rights groups, AU officials and Darfur's rebel groups report that on 28 August a new offensive began, with reports of attacks on rebel-held villages in Darfur.

Khartoum has denied reports of bombing raids on villages, saying it is merely conducting "administrative operations".

Darfur refugees, rebels and the United States have long accused the Sudanese army of backing up the Arab Janjaweed militias in a "genocide" against the region's black African population.

Sudan has denied these claims and says the problems in Darfur have been exaggerated for political reasons.

Last week, the UN's humanitarian chief Jan Egeland warned that "a man-made catastrophe of an unprecedented scale" loomed within weeks in Darfur unless the UN Security Council acted immediately.

But analysts say sending a UN force to the region without Khartoum's consent would be a virtually impossible task - and few options now remain.

I will not reccomend anyone to go or not, but this is my own experiences.

I have been to Sudan a few times, spending a total of ca 7 weeks in the country. I have travelled by boat from Egypt and also been flying into Port Sudan from Cairo on the saturday Sudan Air-flight. I have always been on a liveaboard ship for most of the time, only spending a few days on land, going to Suakin or just strolling in Port Sudan.

My first visits was during the civil war that raged in the south for more than 20 years. I also was there when the USA tomahawked a medical facility in 1999. And I have been there after the troubles in Darfour surfaced. I never felt unsafe or uncomortable. Sudan is a very large country, the biggest in Africa, and Darfour is pretty far from Port Sudan. That said, things seem to be escalating in Darfour and Sudan is an unstable country... The new route (actually this is a very old route that has been on "hold") that Yasser offers on the Royal Evolution is perhaps slightly safer, but the biggest advantage inmo is that you don't need the extra flight (and stop over nights in Cairo). Let's see how it will work out.

/christian

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom