Diving Tips From Experienced SB Divers to nOObies

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CIBDiving:
I'm sorry I had to burst your bubble of comfort.
I guess I won't be using those ankle weights then. A whole bunch of experts were saying to use them :wink:

When learning to clear your mask, look straight up in the water and breath for awhile. Alot of regulators (especially rental ones) breath different at different angles, up, down, forward, etc.

Oftentimes the regulator breaths slightly harder when looking upwards, so when a new diver goes to clear their mask, they look up (not straight up, but tilt your head upwards) and don't compensate for the harder breathing regulator and get choked or have a heck of a time mask clearing.

On some regs (normally higher end), breathing barely changes at all when looking in different angles so it's a moot point.

charris400:
Become a good free diver and you will become more comfortable, confident & capable in the water. Then, if someone sneaks up behind you and cuts your regulator hose you will stand a much better chance of survival. I know this happens all the time because I saw it on Sea Hunt :D

Since the bad guys always cut the exhaust hose (of a 2 hose regulator) on Sea Hunt, you won't have a problem anyway!<G>

Before I get in the water, every time, I do the following check: "All Girls Remember Any Boy Who Calls":

A = air -- turn it on
G = guages -- Watch the needle go from 0 to 3000 lbs (if it's not at zero when you start, purge your reg to force it to zero). This makes sure that you're not turning the air OFF.
R = regulator -- breathe through it for a couple of breaths
A = alternate -- breathe through THAT for a couple of breaths
B = BC -- put enough air in to make sure you're bouyant when you go in and, while you're doing it, listen for leaks.
W = weights -- got 'em?
C = computer -- turn it on (even if you've got one that turns on automatically)

The man said only one piece of advice per post so I'll do another of each. If you're new and trying to figure out if you're neutrally bouyant at depth, do the following:

1) Relax (good advice, anyway)
2) Breathe out completely -- make sure you start descending. If not, dump a *little* air.
3) Breathe in, deep -- make sure you start ascending. If not, put a *little* air in your BC.
4) If you had to adjust, go back to 1).

Code Monkey:
Before I get in the water, every time, I do the following check: "All Girls Remember Any Boy Who Calls":

A = air -- turn it on
G = guages -- Watch the needle go from 0 to 3000 lbs (if it's not at zero when you start, purge your reg to force it to zero). This makes sure that you're not turning the air OFF.
R = regulator -- breathe through it for a couple of breaths
A = alternate -- breathe through THAT for a couple of breaths
B = BC -- put enough air in to make sure you're bouyant when you go in and, while you're doing it, listen for leaks.
W = weights -- got 'em?
C = computer -- turn it on (even if you've got one that turns on automatically)

Why would you turn your valve off when you are trying to turn it on? Do you close jars when you are trying to open them? Valves are the same - clockwise closes them, counterclockwise opens them (there's no left or right to a circle).

Why would I put air in my BC before I go down? That air will stop me from going where I want to go.

My advice: Always carry a loud whistle and a top-quality safety sausage to allow yourself to be located on the surface more easily.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom